Old 11-13-2019 | 09:36 AM
sleighcrane
Tourer

Was your dealer in Vancouver or Langley

Old 11-13-2019 | 10:12 AM
twig
|
Tourer

The Teck said there was no issues with oil pump or any parts getting oil, after all the checks and measurements it was determined that the whole top end was worn out, as in past allowable tolerances. How did that happen no idea the bike has 42000 Km.

Old 11-13-2019 | 10:37 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by twig
The Teck said there was no issues with oil pump or any parts getting oil, after all the checks and measurements it was determined that the whole top end was worn out, as in past allowable tolerances. How did that happen no idea the bike has 42000 Km.
weird..my wife's 107 oil cooled engine failed a leak down test miserably around 20,000 miles..was all carboned up bad, puking oily residue out the AC..they replaced the heads and everything ran strong for the following 15,000 miles until she traded it in..the cause; master tech told me you need to blow the carbon out of these engines by running higher rpms..she admitted to rarely ever surpassing 3000 rpms...she made a habit after this of running it much higher and it was running like new when she got rid of it. now this doesn't mean cruise at 4000 rpms obviously, rather just running it up through the gears and don't be afraid to wring it out good... it's good for it and designed to handle that...I would think excessive dirt getting past the AF would cause premature top end wear as well

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-13-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2019 | 10:39 AM
scooper321
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by G'day
I don't use facebook (I just can't support companies like that). As they say, if you don't pay for a service, you are the product (facebook selling our private info). Any way, if you happen to upload your video to youtube, please post a link here.
Umm... I'm going to give you a minute to read what you wrote and think about it.

OK, done.

YouTube is free, too (for most of us). So what (or who) is the product? And how is this any different from the Facebook model? Google owns YouTube. Google is the #1 search engine in the world. YouTube is #2. Yup, really. So if you don't think your info is being collected and marketed on YT, you're mistaken.

Old 11-13-2019 | 11:30 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
weird..my wife's 107 oil cooled engine failed a leak down test miserably around 20,000 miles..was all carboned up bad, puking oily residue out the AC..they replaced the heads and everything ran strong for the following 15,000 miles until she traded it in..the cause; master tech told me you need to blow the carbon out of these engines by running higher rpms..she admitted to rarely ever surpassing 3000 rpms...she made a habit after this of running it much higher and it was running like new when she got rid of it. now this doesn't mean cruise at 4000 rpms obviously, rather just running it up through the gears and don't be afraid to wring it out good... it's good for it and designed to handle that...I would think excessive dirt getting past the AF would cause premature top end wear as well

Might tell the wife not to do much wringin on her new 117, the one time I did that on mine it didn't go too well, LoL

Old 11-13-2019 | 11:49 AM
twig
|
Tourer

Hey Mj did they give a reason for the failed leak down test? My guides worn worn as well as the valve seats were not cut properly, please don’t ask me to explain that one. I had a lot of carbon on mine as well but not because I didn’t wind it out now and then but because of the issues said above.

Old 11-13-2019 | 12:04 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by twig
Hey Mj did they give a reason for the failed leak down test? My guides worn worn as well as the valve seats were not cut properly, please don’t ask me to explain that one. I had a lot of carbon on mine as well but not because I didn’t wind it out now and then but because of the issues said above.
excess carbon build up..valves, breathers, low compression, and all the bad stuff that goes along with it..she never lugged her engine, just never really let it open up, breathe and burn crud off. I had the same engine and traded it with 39,000 miles..ran perfect for every one of those miles and not a single problem..difference? I have a heavy throttle hand

Old 11-13-2019 | 12:09 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

excess carbon build up..valves, breathers, low compression, and all the bad stuff that goes along with it..she never lugged her engine, just never really let it open up, breathe and burn crud off. I had the same engine and traded it with 39,000 miles..ran perfect for every one of those miles and not a single problem..difference? I have a heavy throttle hand
Or did not suffer manufacturing defects as the other one probably did.

The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (11-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019 | 12:17 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Or did not suffer manufacturing defects as the other one probably did.
yeah, just responded to his question on what could cause premature top end compression loss and failed leak down test, and stated the cause of ours

Old 11-13-2019 | 01:53 PM
G'day
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scooper321
YouTube is free, too (for most of us). So what (or who) is the product? And how is this any different from the Facebook model? Google owns YouTube. Google is the #1 search engine in the world. YouTube is #2. Yup, really. So if you don't think your info is being collected and marketed on YT, you're mistaken.
Fair point Scooper. In my head, business practices of fb is different to google, but I didn't go into enough details to make my point clear. I also don't want Twig's thread turning into a thread about social media so I will leave it at that.

Quick Reply: Engine noise update