Sponsored by:

iPhone 11 Carplay Call Audio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 11:32 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
Default iPhone 11 Carplay Call Audio Issues

I am hoping someone has had this issue and managed to get it resolved.

I have a 2019 Limited and had been using carplay with no issues via my iPhone 6S. A couple of weeks ago I decided to 'upgrade' to the iPhone 11. Carplay connects and I can hear everything as before (waze, etc), except for call audio. Call audio does not reroute to the boom, and when I look on the phone it only offers phone or phone speaker, not the boom. If I disconnect the USB and just use bluetooth, then call audio works. I have performed resets on both the iPhone and the infotainment. I can still queue up siri and make requests. Again, everything that worked before still works, except calls.

I understand many don't want to take calls on their bikes. I get that. But I need it for work. It allows me to talk to someone and decide how quick I need to find a safe place to pull over so I can break out a laptop and fix what needs fixin. I can skip carplay for bluetooth, but I don't want to. Lots of nice features

My dealer says the mothership claims it to be an Apple issue. Also, if I plug my wife's iPhone6S in, call audio works. Both my 11 and her 6S are running ios 13.2.

Anyone been through this and found a fix?

The following users liked this post:
1HD1AZ (12-27-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,812 Likes on 2,378 Posts
The following users liked this post:
MilesOfTexas (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 12:07 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
Thank you!

An admin may feel free to delete this post. Sorry about that.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:40 AM
ocglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got off the phone with Harley and Apple, there is no fix for this yet. Harley just says its an Apple problem and they need to fix it, Apple doesn't seem to commit to anything. I could not get Apple to even give me an idea when they will come out with a fix for it. They can't really blame Harley for this since it works fine on an iPhone 10XS it just doesn't work on the 11. Mine is a 11Pro MAX,

Old 12-06-2019, 10:06 AM
harleydude-fla
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ocglide
I just got off the phone with Harley and Apple, there is no fix for this yet. Harley just says its an Apple problem and they need to fix it, Apple doesn't seem to commit to anything. I could not get Apple to even give me an idea when they will come out with a fix for it. They can't really blame Harley for this since it works fine on an iPhone 10XS it just doesn't work on the 11. Mine is a 11Pro MAX,
12/6/19 Update: I spoke with Apple and Harley this morning about the iPhone 11 Problem.
Harley Customer Service Rep. reported that they are aware of the issue and are Working on the resolution to fix it. He did not offer a timeframe for the fix but recommended that we just check the HD Website and see if there is a new update for the GTS System. Until Then - Guess we will have to do without OR just ignore all incoming calls and call them back at the next rest stop or whatever.

I Recommend that anyone that is considering updating or purchasing the iPhone 11 to wait until this issue is resolved. !!!!!!

Old 12-10-2019, 03:05 PM
ocglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apple released IOS 13.3 today, I just loaded it on my iPhone 11, it did fix the problem I was having when connected to the Boom Box via Bluetooth, before the update speech was garbled could not understand anyone when I placed a call using the Boom Box with Blue tooth but now that is clear. The issue with Apple Car play is still the same, no audio on calls once I plug it into the USB port that may be the part Harley is supposed to be fixing that harleydude-fla mentioned, at least I hope it is.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:43 AM
harleydude-fla
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ocglide
Apple released IOS 13.3 today, I just loaded it on my iPhone 11, it did fix the problem I was having when connected to the Boom Box via Bluetooth, before the update speech was garbled could not understand anyone when I placed a call using the Boom Box with Blue tooth but now that is clear. The issue with Apple Car play is still the same, no audio on calls once I plug it into the USB port that may be the part Harley is supposed to be fixing that harleydude-fla mentioned, at least I hope it is.
Thanks, I updated to 13.3 too and the phone appears to work OK now. I have not tried with Car Play yet but I usually don't plug in to the bike anyways.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:58 PM
harleydude-fla
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleydude-fla
Thanks, I updated to 13.3 too and the phone appears to work OK now. I have not tried with Car Play yet but I usually don't plug in to the bike anyways.
I did try and make a call with Car Play and it will make the call but no audio as stated by ocglide in his comments.
I was able to use Siri and it worked OK for Siri inquires but could nor make calls thru Siri either. At least Apple got the Blue Tooth issue fixed and the phone appears to work OK now except when connected thru the USB to Car Play.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:06 PM
1HD1AZ
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
I am hoping someone has had this issue and managed to get it resolved.

I have a 2019 Limited and had been using carplay with no issues via my iPhone 6S. A couple of weeks ago I decided to 'upgrade' to the iPhone 11. Carplay connects and I can hear everything as before (waze, etc), except for call audio. Call audio does not reroute to the boom, and when I look on the phone it only offers phone or phone speaker, not the boom. If I disconnect the USB and just use bluetooth, then call audio works. I have performed resets on both the iPhone and the infotainment. I can still queue up siri and make requests. Again, everything that worked before still works, except calls.

I understand many don't want to take calls on their bikes. I get that. But I need it for work. It allows me to talk to someone and decide how quick I need to find a safe place to pull over so I can break out a laptop and fix what needs fixin. I can skip carplay for bluetooth, but I don't want to. Lots of nice features

My dealer says the mothership claims it to be an Apple issue. Also, if I plug my wife's iPhone6S in, call audio works. Both my 11 and her 6S are running ios 13.2.

Anyone been through this and found a fix?
I can tell you that I know of three others having this very same problem. One has a 2019 Limited as you do and two of us have older bikes with the GTS radio installed with the Soundz adapter. We are working on this and have reported it to Harley-Davidson and to Apple. Lots of finger pointing going on but we believe that the problem rests with Harley-Davidson. Stay tuned.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:52 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

With 13.3, the 11 will work for phone calls, so long as you disable mirroring. No car play, but all the functions work. At least its usable until the have a fix for car play.

Quick Reply: iPhone 11 Carplay Call Audio Issues