Sponsored by:

My short DIY M8 service story. *BONUS Primary Vent*

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 09:17 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,044 Likes on 7,313 Posts

Good for you!

My warranty ends the 28th of this month. My dealer said they would install it if I wanted it. So far the bike as been 100% perfect with zero transfer. I like doing this kind of work. I have everything needed except for the vent kit itself, so I think I'll wait and hope I never need it.

Thanks for the write up.

The following users liked this post:
RGS88 (09-08-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 10:42 PM
2013superglideseattle
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Greg's fat pushrod installed in my 2017roadglide special but it still transfer tranny oil in primary.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:55 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,993 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Good for you!

My warranty ends the 28th of this month. My dealer said they would install it if I wanted it. So far the bike as been 100% perfect with zero transfer. I like doing this kind of work. I have everything needed except for the vent kit itself, so I think I'll wait and hope I never need it.

Thanks for the write up.
No problem, I really just wanted to shed a little more light on something that comes up almost daily on this forum

It truly is something that anyone can do, and nobody should be afraid to try!

Originally Posted by 2013superglideseattle
I have Greg's fat pushrod installed in my 2017roadglide special but it still transfer tranny oil in primary.
I've seen a lot of people post here and on FB groups that have installed the pushrod and still had the transfer issue.

So far the primary vent kit has seemingly a 100% success rate. $40 + your choice of drink and you can eliminate your transfer issues in one afternoon.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:39 PM
DaMoochr
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Cain't seem to find this? $36- Primary Ventkit from Surdyke

Here ya go :
http://www.surdyke.com/PartsMain.asp...Name=&CatName=

Old 09-12-2019, 10:51 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Doing your own wrenching is not only saving money, but knowing your bike better and the job was done right! Hard to get good help these days.

RGS88 (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 01:00 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SomeOld Biker
Doing your own wrenching is not only saving money, but knowing your bike better and the job was done right! Hard to get good help these days.
I'd rather acquire the tools and save money by doing stuff myself now, because trying to get a bike in for service can be challenging here with how busy every shop seems to be. When you only get 1/2 to 3/4 of the year for riding, everyone is trying to cram their services into the same small time frames to minimize down time. Rather than waiting a week to get a bike in for service, then losing 1-3 days to shop time, I can punch this out in an afternoon and be back riding.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:55 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,557 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan...
There's a reason it's in the garage and not in the house... Apparently the fiance doesn't appreciate Reno 911 as much as I do!
Such an underappreciated show, you should put it in the bathroom.

RGS88 (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 10:09 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,889 Likes on 3,702 Posts

Awesome to hear you took this on yourself! Keep acquiring tools as you need them, make sure you have a service manual (if you don't already), and take time to look at things when you're servicing the bike. You will learn a lot, gain more confidence in your abilities, and there will be little that you can't do on your own. These bikes are very simple to work on. There's a nice level of satisfaction tied to doing your own work.

RGS88 (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 05:09 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Such an underappreciated show, you should put it in the bathroom.
I'm slowly adding art work around the house, turns out she's much more observant than I and actually notices things hanging on the wall....

Originally Posted by strych9
Awesome to hear you took this on yourself! Keep acquiring tools as you need them, make sure you have a service manual (if you don't already), and take time to look at things when you're servicing the bike. You will learn a lot, gain more confidence in your abilities, and there will be little that you can't do on your own. These bikes are very simple to work on. There's a nice level of satisfaction tied to doing your own work.
Service manual should be on its way soon! Honestly my favorite part of buying a house is having room for all of the tools, and having my own space to work on the bike without worrying about other neighbors/apartment turds knocking over my bike, kicking tools, etc..

strych9 (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 01:47 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan...
I'm slowly adding art work around the house, turns out she's much more observant than I and actually notices things hanging on the wall....

Service manual should be on its way soon! Honestly my favorite part of buying a house is having room for all of the tools, and having my own space to work on the bike without worrying about other neighbors/apartment turds knocking over my bike, kicking tools, etc..
My cheap rent days (when I was a young buck) I was worried about bike getting stolen always had to lock it up with chains and locks, any tools or anything left around forget about it they would be gone. Congrats on having a house and safe place to work. Glad to hear you appreciate it, I sure feel blessed having my house and safe place to live. When you start with nothing you appreciate things more. Some people with a lot of money act like real ******!

Quick Reply: My short DIY M8 service story. *BONUS Primary Vent*