Sponsored by:

My short DIY M8 service story. *BONUS Primary Vent*

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 03:54 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,993 Likes on 781 Posts

QUOTE=Dynamick;18531191]Nice job!

I'd be nervous working in that garage, knowing there's a guy on the wall eating a banana while making eye contact with me.[/QUOTE]

They give me advice when I'm stuck!

Originally Posted by scooterbum46
I just took care of bad reverse motor on my '15 TriGlide. Cost $179 at a local auto electric shop. HD quoted me $2100 to replace or $800 to rebuild. Worst part was laying on floor to pull motor. Using OP's reasoning, I've got about 2 grand to spend on upgrades... 😁
That's usually the motivation I need to do my own work, especially when I'm feeling lazy

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Nice!! Nothing like having tools delivered by your hot lady too!

Is there a good step-by-step you followed? I might be interested in doing this down the road and my mechanical skills are in the same range.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding too.
No step-by-step, but I did use some pics from the big Primary Vent thread here in the M8 section. Removing the primary case cover is pretty easy (and messy), but once that's off it's a very simply process of drilling one hole then pulling the vent through.

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 06:32 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan...
Lots of negativity on forums, especially the M8 section as of late, thought I'd share my experience.

To start, I'd rate my mechanical abilities somewhere around 4-5/10. I change oil, rotate tires, and swap suspension bits occasionally.

I just hit 7900 miles on the bike and wanted to change the oil. Figured I'd change all the fluids so I can ride the rest of the year in comfort. Also wanted to do the primary vent even though I don't have issues (yet?).

I called the local Harley dealer and they wanted $580 for fluids + primary vent install. Now, I'm all for paying for quality service, but I also have a wedding to pay for so I figured I could save a little money doing it myself so I started buying stuff:

1. $110- Redline fluid kit. Oil, Primary, Transmission, and K&N filter.
2. $100- Harbor Freight motorcycle lift
3. $36- Primary Vent kit from Surdyke
4. $3- 11/32 drill bit
5. $27- Hex set + universal oil filter
6. $8- 6 pack of Spotted Cow
TOTAL---- $284

All in all, minus the wait time while I waited for the fiance to bring home the hex tools and oil wrench, the entire service took me about 3 hours at a very leisurely pace. Drilling into the bike made me a bit nervous, but honestly it's almost impossible to screw up.

So, to make up for the money I saved, in true me fashion, I bought myself a Hogworkz LED headlight so I can ride in comfort on my nightly ride into work

Moral of the story, if I can do it, you can too!

This is such BS!!!!!! Seriously dude!!!! Like, where’s the Spotted Cow????????? 🤣🤣🤣

RGS88 (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 06:38 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RK14SGS
This is such BS!!!!!! Seriously dude!!!! Like, where’s the Spotted Cow????????? 🤣🤣🤣
The two empty bottles were off camera during the photo break

RK14SGS (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 06:41 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I thought the primary cover gasket was reusable. I reused mine twice (103) without any issues.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:10 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,214 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Well done, OP. You have inspired me. I am not even going to mess with the dealer.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Check6
Road Captain

Received 299 Likes on 140 Posts

Congrats! Good Job! It feels much better when you do it yourself.

I've been doing my own service for years. I don't do tire swaps or anything of a safety nature, but the regular service is a breeze once you've gotten past that first hurdle of doing it yourself.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:20 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,132 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
I thought the primary cover gasket was reusable. I reused mine twice (103) without any issues.
The primary gasket comes with the primary vent kit. The instructions (and service manual) say to replace it.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:37 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
The primary gasket comes with the primary vent kit. The instructions (and service manual) say to replace it.
You can get by and reuse the old gasket if doesn’t have too many miles and it’s still in good condition. Worst case is you’ll have an oil leak.

I do question the poster hanging in the garage of the OP. 😬

Old 09-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Harlie Rider
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
You can get by and reuse the old gasket if doesn’t have too many miles and it’s still in good condition. Worst case is you’ll have an oil leak.

Wait, What?????
I thought all of us had posters of ourselves hanging in our shops??????

Old 09-07-2019, 08:59 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HDConvert511
Well done, OP. You have inspired me. I am not even going to mess with the dealer.
Glad I could help!

Originally Posted by Check6
Congrats! Good Job! It feels much better when you do it yourself.

I've been doing my own service for years. I don't do tire swaps or anything of a safety nature, but the regular service is a breeze once you've gotten past that first hurdle of doing it yourself.
Absolutely true, I admit that I do feel more comfortable tooling on the bike now that I feel more familiar with it.

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
+1, it comes with one, and being such a cheap part I see no reason to reuse the old one and potentially get a leak. Just more time the bike is on a lift and not on the road.

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
There's a reason it's in the garage and not in the house... Apparently the fiance doesn't appreciate Reno 911 as much as I do!

Quick Reply: My short DIY M8 service story. *BONUS Primary Vent*