Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 Transmission Broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019 | 07:09 PM
VRADMAN
|
Road Captain

I agree and stay tuned cause it can happen at any time. How comforting to know when your hundreds of miles from home. At least I’m shooting the warning shot.

Old 08-23-2019 | 07:58 PM
redtwin
Cruiser

I lost third gear at 3500 miles,and there was more at the dealer with the same problem,alot of members on this forum thought I was starting a thread but just wanted fellow riders to know

The following 2 users liked this post by redtwin:
6113_ (08-29-2019), ktp1598 (11-05-2021)
Old 08-29-2019 | 10:43 PM
sy-shovel
Stage III

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Guess I missed something in my mechanical training the last 45 years so you'll have to explain to me how sumping could possibly have anything to do with a trans gear going. And no all the gears don't go through the process at the same time, they are made then treated in individual gear batch lots, not complete gear sets. Different size components heat treat differently time wise. Just an FYI.
The main shaft is one piece/ shaft and gears all machined then heat treated. Broken twice, factory warranted first set(complete transmission). Broke second time. Replaced out of pocket. On third set for now saving up for grudge box.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-29-2019 | 11:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by sy-shovel
The main shaft is one piece/ shaft and gears all machined then heat treated. Broken twice, factory warranted first set(complete transmission). Broke second time. Replaced out of pocket. On third set for now saving up for grudge box.
They do not treat complete individual trans gear sets at the same time, seriously cost and labor prohibitive and the moco can pinch a dime like nobody's business, it's done in individual item lots then assembled into units. You've blown it out that many times look for the common denominator, it's there.

And an FYI, anything precision with a tight 4 decimal place range tolerance like the internals of a trans or motor are ground to spec AFTER the heat treating process.

Old 04-14-2020 | 06:47 PM
stewdaddy
Stage III
Default Yep spun mine 3 to 4. Waiting to hear if extended service warranty will cove 2018 RG Special 1700 miles just bought the broke in dec. with 800 miles.

Originally Posted by VRADMAN
Anyone else having issues? Third gear seems to be the culprit. Looking at options to replace the OEM gear set and I’d like to hear if anyone else has addressed this issue. Doesn’t seem to be many options but I’m currently looking at Baker and Jim’s. Appreciate your thoughts.

Looks like material got under 2nd and split shafts and spun 3rd. Clutch went soft between shifts the mtl concert in trans.

Old 04-25-2020 | 04:24 PM
Skayy
Advanced

Can that come from the oil transfer? If there was too little oil in the gearbox.

Old 04-25-2020 | 04:58 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

@stewdaddy, why are you waiting on the esp? your bike is still under factory warranty. 2 years, unlimited mileage. that is, unless you've done some un-authorized mods to it. have you?

Old 11-19-2020 | 07:36 PM
stewdaddy
Stage III

Originally Posted by skratch
@stewdaddy, why are you waiting on the esp? your bike is still under factory warranty. 2 years, unlimited mileage. that is, unless you've done some un-authorized mods to it. have you?
124 build

Old 10-11-2021 | 02:18 PM
DSM11
Intermediate

My friend just had this happen to his 18 Road Glide. It was due mostly in part to the fact that they knew they needed to vent the primary but did not, which results in bigtime oil transfer from the transmission into the primary. We checked the transmission oil, and it was found to be empty. When we opened his derby cover, with the bike level, all the transmission oil came out of there. All of it had transferred. On the later M8 touring bikes, the vent is installed at the upper rear of the primary and it equalizes the pressure between the trans and primary so the oil wont push through the clutch pushrod tunnel. On the earlier bikes that dont have the vent, you must buy a kit from HD that includes a derby and primary gasket, and the vent, and a template so you drill the hole into hte primary for the vent in the proper place.
I realize this is old, but to anyone whos got one of the earlier M8 touring bikes, if you are not religiously checking the transmission oil as much if not more often than the engine oil, you better install this vent.

The following users liked this post:
Harman (06-28-2023)
Old 10-11-2021 | 03:03 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DSM11
My friend just had this happen to his 18 Road Glide. It was due mostly in part to the fact that they knew they needed to vent the primary but did not, which results in bigtime oil transfer from the transmission into the primary. We checked the transmission oil, and it was found to be empty. When we opened his derby cover, with the bike level, all the transmission oil came out of there. All of it had transferred. On the later M8 touring bikes, the vent is installed at the upper rear of the primary and it equalizes the pressure between the trans and primary so the oil wont push through the clutch pushrod tunnel. On the earlier bikes that dont have the vent, you must buy a kit from HD that includes a derby and primary gasket, and the vent, and a template so you drill the hole into hte primary for the vent in the proper place.
I realize this is old, but to anyone whos got one of the earlier M8 touring bikes, if you are not religiously checking the transmission oil as much if not more often than the engine oil, you better install this vent.
no offense...but this all has been discussed ad nauseam here for the last 4 years, there's like literally a gazillion posts about it all and is seriously

Quick Reply: M8 Transmission Broke