Sponsored by:

Don't like touring tank medallion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts
Default Done.

I can’t believe how fast that 3m wheel took off the double side tape residue. I spent about 3 hours doing this a couple of years ago on my Road Glide, with blistered fingertips from rolling off the tape. Never again! This took literally less then 5 minutes. Fishing line to zip off the stock medallion, and a quick spin of the wheel. Absolutely amazing. Wiped down with a bit of 3M adhesive remover on a microfiber and done. Love it.

Covered the engine so none of the fly off from the wheel would get on it, but there was very little. Much less then what some YouTube videos showed. I mocked it up again and used painters tape to mark the position. I spent more time measuring and remeasuring then the actual removal and cleaning.

Very happy with with the result.

Last edited by Mchad; 07-31-2019 at 07:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mchad:
RGS88 (08-01-2019), SMR65 (08-01-2019), Thingfish (08-02-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 04:46 AM
SMR65
Road Master
Received 878 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I can’t believe how fast that 3m wheel took off the double side tape residue. I spent about 3 hours doing this a couple of years ago on my Road Glide, with blistered fingertips from rolling off the tape. Never again! This took literally less then 5 minutes. Fishing line to zip off the stock medallion, and a quick spin of the wheel. Absolutely amazing. Wiped down with a bit of 3M adhesive remover on a microfiber and done. Love it.

Covered the engine so none of the fly off from the wheel would get on it, but there was very little. Much less then what some YouTube videos showed. I mocked it up again and used painters tape to mark the position. I spent more time measuring and remeasuring then the actual removal and cleaning.

Very happy with with the result.

Looks great, nice job.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:07 PM
intrepidxc
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I really want to swap the badges on my FLTRU. I'm not confident I could get them both lined up the same. What did you use for your reference points when measuring?

Old 08-01-2019, 08:18 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by intrepidxc
I really want to swap the badges on my FLTRU. I'm not confident I could get them both lined up the same. What did you use for your reference points when measuring?
It was easy. I started by placing the new badges over the original medallion, and measured back from the front most point of the it. This gave me a measurement to use on the opposite side to ensure way both sides were equidistant from the front. Kind of hard to explain, but you can see in this photo what I did.

Then I used painters tape to mark the center of the peak of the shield, and the tops of the bar. Again, hard to explain but maybe you can picture it with this photo...

Basically I put the point of the shield on the tape at the line, and used the left and right bits of tape to set the level by having them touch the bar. Could have been more scientific but it worked...

Get it?

The following 2 users liked this post by Mchad:
RGS88 (08-01-2019), Thingfish (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Nice Job!

Nice tips too. I’ve always done it the sloooooooooow way. Good to know there’s a better way!

Badge looks great!

Old 08-02-2019, 09:55 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Nice Job!

Nice tips too. I’ve always done it the sloooooooooow way. Good to know there’s a better way!

Badge looks great!
Thanks, It amazing how something as simple as a tank emblem can totally change the look of the bike. I'm totally psyched.

The following users liked this post:
RGS88 (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:37 PM
intrepidxc
Cruiser

It was easy. I started by placing the new badges over the original medallion, and measured back from the front most point of the it. This gave me a measurement to use on the opposite side to ensure way both sides were equidistant from the front. Kind of hard to explain, but you can see in this photo what I did.

Then I used painters tape to mark the center of the peak of the shield, and the tops of the bar. Again, hard to explain but maybe you can picture it with this photo...

Basically I put the point of the shield on the tape at the line, and used the left and right bits of tape to set the level by having them touch the bar. Could have been more scientific but it worked...

Get it?
Yep, great explanation. I've ordered, and so far no one has asked for verification, two of the 2019 CVO Limited medallions. I love the look of these and assuming I get them, without verifying I have a CVO, I'll put them on using a similar method. For reference I ordered the tank medallions for the metallic grey fade CVO limited.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Yep, great explanation. I've ordered, and so far no one has asked for verification, two of the 2019 CVO Limited medallions. I love the look of these and assuming I get them, without verifying I have a CVO, I'll put them on using a similar method. For reference I ordered the tank medallions for the metallic grey fade CVO limited.
I’d be amazed if you don’t get asked for a vin and registration. I tried to get a set last year and Surdyke took the order but followed up with an email asking for the documentation.

Interested in seeing the outcome, but on this midnight blue paint I don’t think the black medallion would look right. But I could always sell them on eBay for $500....

Old 08-02-2019, 05:04 PM
intrepidxc
Cruiser

I’d be amazed if you don’t get asked for a vin and registration. I tried to get a set last year and Surdyke took the order but followed up with an email asking for the documentation.

Interested in seeing the outcome, but on this midnight blue paint I don’t think the black medallion would look right. But I could always sell them on eBay for $500....
We'll, I ordered from surdyke as well. Sure enough, today they asked for verification. Guess I'll need to find another way.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:17 PM
Mchad
Club Member

We'll, I ordered from surdyke as well. Sure enough, today they asked for verification. Guess I'll need to find another way.
Yeah, I kinda suspected that would be the case. I ended up picking up some water jet cut stainless badges a guy here was selling. Had them chromed. Came out ok, though not exactly what I was looking for. Here:

I think I like the OEM badges better actually. But that’s easy to say now that I installed them lol!

Quick Reply: Don't like touring tank medallion...