Sponsored by:

S&s 475c

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:32 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
Why is everyone so hung up on peak Hp and Torque numbers? Different dynos will show different numbers. Then take into account the same dyno will show different numbers for the same bike when temperature and humidity change. Different exhaust systems on the same bike will produce different torque curves and max numbers.The shape of the curve will show when the torque comes on and how far out in the rev range it holds that torque. That's a much better indicator of how the bike will perform on a daily basis on the street. Some 2 into 1 pipes will produce a few less max hp numbers but bring on torque and hp earlier and carry them on well past midrange then fall off after 5000 rpm. Many times a bike showing less max hp and tq will out perform the bike showing more! Are we building drag racers or street ridden bikes?
I agree there are many variables that determine dyno numbers. But hes running basically the same set up as me and many others, but with more cubes/displacement. His numbers shouldn't be the same as my 107. When ppl spend 2500 bucks or so on performance upgrades, we should get the most out of them with a good dyno. Quite a bit was left on the table with his. That's all everyone here is pointing out. If he's happy with it, then that's fine too. I wouldn't be.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:54 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
I agree there are many variables that determine dyno numbers. But hes running basically the same set up as me and many others, but with more cubes/displacement. His numbers shouldn't be the same as my 107. When ppl spend 2500 bucks or so on performance upgrades, we should get the most out of them with a good dyno. Quite a bit was left on the table with his. That's all everyone here is pointing out. If he's happy with it, then that's fine too. I wouldn't be.
Without seeing a dyno chart it's hard to say what was left on the table. My 107 with a Zipper's Red Shift 468, with a Billet Cat and Heavy Breather showed 105 hp and 126 torque. Do I think bikes showing less peak torque have left something on the table? No, they just showed that number on the dyno that day. A before and after chart might show something more relevant, as some dynos are "Happy" and would show inflated numbers on both charts.

What makes me happy about my set up is that my max torque comes on at 2850 rpms and holds to over 110 ft. lbs. until 5000 rpm. I have good power where I ride most of the time. Max hp 105 at 5150 rpm is okay, but I rarely ride at that rpm. I've got instant power riding on the highways and will never see a drag strip.

If you're happy with your bikes performance, and have achieved a boost in power where you want it, that's what matters, not peak numbers!

Old 07-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Northside's thinking is sound. Peak numbers are good for bragging rights, but the torque curve is what matters to how the bike will feel when riding it. Also, you can't reliably compare peak numbers, there are too many variables in the Dyno process. Human nature dictates, we all want to say our engine makes the most power.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tozco:
Kyle Moore (07-12-2019), Rockin C (07-18-2019)