Sponsored by:

Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 10:30 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,205 Likes on 4,410 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of the 1500 miles/quart of engine oil consumption. And BTW throughout the automotive industry there has been in my lifetime a minimum acceptable consumption standard of 1000 miles per quart of oil. So the Harley standard is actually a bit more stringent than what is normal in the industry.

The way I've always been told, the 1000/qt (or 1500/qt) is on an engine that has wear and tear on it. It isn't a brand new engine. As an engine wears out from use, it is normal for oil consumption to increase. The minimum standard is to determine whether an otherwise good running engine needs to be opened up and rebuilt due to wear and tear.

Personally if I bought a new vehicle, car or motorcycle, that used a quart of oil every 1500 miles I'd sure be in the service shop demanding some attention. But if it was an older machine, with lots of miles on it, then the 1500 miles standard would come into play.

I understand your point, however, if the MoCo has that spec in writing somewhere, they ae going to use it to their advantage. If you bring them a bike with 500 miles that was burning oil at that spec, but you felt it was unreasonable for an engine with only 500 miles, they would say, "Sorry... it's running within spec." instead of spending a dime on your engine....

Perhaps I'm too cynical, but the way the MoCo has handled the M8 issues bothers me more than the issues themselves......

The following users liked this post:
Hawg Runner (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:31 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I understand your point, however, if the MoCo has that spec in writing somewhere, they ae going to use it to their advantage. If you bring them a bike with 500 miles that was burning oil at that spec, but you felt it was unreasonable for an engine with only 500 miles, they would say, "Sorry... it's running within spec." instead of spending a dime on your engine....

Perhaps I'm too cynical, but the way the MoCo has handled the M8 issues bothers me more than the issues themselves......
Yeah I would hope they'd not treat me that way with a new engine that was burning a lot of oil. I have read reports here on this forum from riders who've taken their newer engines in for burning oil and the dealer did testing and repairs. If a dealer shop manager told me it was "normal" or "within spec" for a brand new engine with only a few thousand miles on it to burn oil at that rate, I wouldn't take that quietly! I think I'd stop using that shop and find another. There are plenty of HD dealer shops all over.

But that's easy for me to say, with my RGU that doesn't sump or transfer oil at a very fast rate. I'm completely happy with my bike. The poor guys with the defective bikes are on my pity list for sure. Me, I am not very patient. When my RGU had to have its ABS module replaced the bike was in the shop for ten days, and I was chomping at the bit towards the end of it. If it was a five week thing, or longer, due to sumping or other deal, wow I would be a very po'd motorcyclist.

The following 2 users liked this post by KrustyKush:
hattitude (05-15-2019), Hawg Runner (05-12-2019)