Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 01:20 PM
Glock-45
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Question?

Hey Guys,

Need some advise.

By the end of May, my two year warranty will expire and I am some what concern about not having any warranty on my SGS given that I have only put on about 6400-miles on the bike and anything can always happen even though the bike has been flawless ever since new, so my question to you guys is, what companies out there are pretty good/reliable when it comes to purchasing extended warranty for your Harley, specially if you want to install some aftermarket parts, like a cam, tuner, pipes, etc.....?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:30 PM
wizardfitz
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Glock-45;18222232]Hey Guys,

Need some advise.

By the end of May, my two year warranty will expire and I am some what concern about not having any warranty on my SGS given that I have only put on about 6400-miles on the bike and anything can always happen even though the bike has been flawless ever since new, so my question to you guys is, what companies out there are pretty good/reliable when it comes to purchasing extended warranty for your Harley, specially if you want to install some aftermarket parts, like a cam, tuner, pipes, etc.....?

I'm in a similar boat. I'm picking up a 19 limited in June. Tbe way Harley is denying warranty claims I may not do any mods.
My dealer tells me any harley upgrade , installed by harley is covered. I have yet to check his statement with the service manager. I've had the extended warranty on my last 2 bikes and it paid for itself.
My understanding from reading the forum are the parts have to be epa compliant. If I do modify, I'll be sticking with harley vs my favorite Vance and Hines

Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Be aware that even if the parts are EPA compliant, if they're not Harley parts, Harley might still void the warranty. They can't do it legally, but they'll do it anyway and you may have to sue to get it reinstated.

If you use aftermarket non-EPA parts, then you can count on them voiding it. You might get lucky, but don't count on it.

The one immediate and non-negotiable warranty voider is using an aftermarket tuner.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:43 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Glock-45
Hey Guys,

Need some advise.

Thanks in advance.

it is my humble opinion that at 3000 miles a year you dont need any extended warranty . sorry i know you didn't ask for that opinion . leave your money in your pocket.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:46 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Glock-45
so my question to you guys is, what companies out there are pretty good/reliable when it comes to purchasing extended warranty for your Harley, specially if you want to install some aftermarket parts, like a cam, tuner, pipes, etc...
I don't have personal experience with them, but lots of guys on this forum go through Discount ESP. Cost is reasonable and one member stated that they covered him even though he had aftermarket upgrades (whereas most don't). I would contact them to confirm.... https://www.discountesp.com/

Edit: Also, it's my understanding that with Discount, warranty work can be done at an independent shop, not just an HD dealership. This is something else that you might want to confirm.

Last edited by Steve N,; 05-01-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Delzore
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had coverage on my last bike (2014 Electra Glide Ultra Classic) through discountesp... the contract went to a company called Cornerstone.. depends on where/who discount sources with.

Anyway, I had myself changed out bars. The clutch cable got positioned where after a couple years it was wearing through.. I had the brake switch on the hand lever go out so that tapping the breaks was not turning on the brake light or cancelling cruise.

Cornerstone covered the brake switch replacement.. however the clutch cable was not covered and I had to pay out of pocket for that repair..

Strange? yes.. both of those items could have been impacted by my change in handlebars... yet one was covered and one was not..

just food for thought.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:10 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve N,
I don't have personal experience with them, but lots of guys on this forum go through Discount ESP. Cost is reasonable and one member stated that they covered him even though he had aftermarket upgrades (whereas most don't). I would contact them to confirm.... https://www.discountesp.com/

Edit: Also, it's my understanding that with Discount, warranty work can be done at an independent shop, not just an HD dealership. This is something else that you might want to confirm.
Do your homework on DiscountEsp. Long thread on here about a guy who was denied claim cause he put on different tires and they claim he did wheelies and ****.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:08 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
Do your homework on DiscountEsp. Long thread on here about a guy who was denied claim cause he put on different tires and they claim he did wheelies and ****.
yes do your homework the guy that started that thread about claims denied also started a go fund me thread draw your own conclusions

The following 2 users liked this post by mazz:
DADDYO (05-09-2019), Steve N, (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,478 Likes on 5,666 Posts

Originally Posted by mazz
it is my humble opinion that at 3000 miles a year you dont need any extended warranty . sorry i know you didn't ask for that opinion . leave your money in your pocket.
Not so sure about that. I think letting the bike SIT is harder than putting 15K "normal" miles a year on it.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:37 PM
Glock-45
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I realize that spending money on an extended warranty could be a hit or miss situation that is why I'm undecided on what to do, even though saving the money on your own for the unexpected is also s smart thing to do.

Thanks for your replies.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Question?