Sponsored by:

To Tune or Not To Tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 12:30 PM
PC Novice
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Question To Tune or Not To Tune

Need advice on whether to add a tuner, get it tuned by dealer, add a V&H Fuelpak, or what???? I looked around the forum for answers but was a little overwhelmed when folks started going on tangents, lol.

Just purchased a 2019 Street glide Special and I plan to put a pair of slip-on mufflers and replace the Air Cleaner.

I have read post after post regarding "To Tune or Not To Tune" and it's exhausting. I've had a V&H FP3 before, and not being that knowledgeable about Cams, Headers, blah blah blah, I did not see any gain. I had it tuned from V&H last year at Lauglin and it ran better for about 3 months but went back to same ole after that. Some say get it Dyno'd, some say get a Dynojet.

My question is...for the slip-ons that I'm putting on and the Air Cleaner I'm replacing, what else do I need to do (In a Stage 1 sort of way) that will keep my new baby running smooth?

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:41 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,343 Likes on 4,767 Posts

Originally Posted by PC Novice
Need advice on whether to add a tuner, get it tuned by dealer, add a V&H Fuelpak, or what???? I looked around the forum for answers but was a little overwhelmed when folks started going on tangents, lol.

Just purchased a 2019 Street glide Special and I plan to put a pair of slip-on mufflers and replace the Air Cleaner.

I have read post after post regarding "To Tune or Not To Tune" and it's exhausting. I've had a V&H FP3 before, and not being that knowledgeable about Cams, Headers, blah blah blah, I did not see any gain. I had it tuned from V&H last year at Lauglin and it ran better for about 3 months but went back to same ole after that. Some say get it Dyno'd, some say get a Dynojet.

My question is...for the slip-ons that I'm putting on and the Air Cleaner I'm replacing, what else do I need to do (In a Stage 1 sort of way) that will keep my new baby running smooth?

Thanks.
yeah, trying to 'intake' all the information and 'tune' out all the farble garble is 'exhausting' for sure...but first thing to ask yourself since it's a new bike is if your powertrain warranty is top priority, are you planning on keeping it for years and if so are you getting an ESP..if so it's simple..all SE by the book and you can run some auto tunes if you like to fine tune beyond the set ecm calibration..the thing is if you are just planning on a Stage 1 and be happy then I don't think you gain much in the way of performance (other than looks and sound) if anything going aftermarket that's worth voiding your warranty...anything outside that and the playbook is wide open

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-19-2019 at 12:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PC Novice (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 12:57 PM
PC Novice
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks MJWebb.

Yes, I plan on keeping this one :-)

Old 04-19-2019, 01:15 PM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts
Default not to tune

Just put the pipes and A/c on the bike. a tuner is a waste of money unless u go with stage 2. the ECM will adjust for pipes and A/C

PC Novice (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 01:36 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 975 Likes on 559 Posts

Yes, it needs new mapping for the increased airflow. Sure it will run without it, but why mess around. If ya want to stay warranty compliant, get the harley SEPST and be done.

PC Novice (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 01:37 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,093 Likes on 655 Posts

Get the SE tuner. You wanna maintain that warranty at least until the 2 year factory warranty is over. And HD expressly says in their descriptions for the slip ons and the air filter that their SE tuner is required. You don’t wanna give them any reason to say you didn’t follow what they mandated and try to deny a warranty claim.

PC Novice (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:10 PM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,791 Likes on 2,370 Posts

I'm conflicted too. I put S&S MK 45's on already, and coming off a TC88 that was 19 years old my 19 SGS seems pretty good as is. There's always better, and I get that, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. Other than the oil transfer problem, but hopefully that gets resolved tomorrow with the Fat Rod.

PC Novice (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:17 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702
I'm conflicted too. I put S&S MK 45's on already, and coming off a TC88 that was 19 years old my 19 SGS seems pretty good as is. There's always better, and I get that, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. Other than the oil transfer problem, but hopefully that gets resolved tomorrow with the Fat Rod.
the good news is you don't have to do anything as they provided the best out of the box performers to date...I only did a stage 1 because the M8s have too much capacity left on the table to flow and breathe more air so didn't want to leave it in its lowest dumbed down form

edit: but, since I ride the Road King and Solo which is the lightest touring bike I don't feel the need for anything more and didn't particularly want to crack open the engine...for folks riding the much heavier touring models and two up the Stage 2 Torque came isn't a bad idea..the few hundred extra pounds in that combo/scenario makes a difference or maybe get a 114

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-19-2019 at 03:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
702 (04-19-2019), PC Novice (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,791 Likes on 2,370 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
the good news is you don't have to do anything as they provided the best out of the box performers to date...I only did a stage 1 because the M8s have too much capacity left on the table to flow and breathe more air so didn't want to leave it in its lowest dumbed down form
Today I made the mistake of creating an Excel spreadsheet to track the cost of the extra's I've already purchased. But then again, what's a few hundred more, right?

PC Novice (04-23-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:34 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702
Today I made the mistake of creating an Excel spreadsheet to track the cost of the extra's I've already purchased. But then again, what's a few hundred more, right?
exactly, for most of us this is a fun thing, nothing wrong with spending money we work hard for to help us enjoy life a little

PC Novice (04-23-2019)

Quick Reply: To Tune or Not To Tune