Clutch Actuator Recall Done on Bike with "The Fix"

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019 | 08:33 AM
$tonecold
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member
Default Clutch Actuator Recall Done on Bike with "The Fix"

I finally got around to taking my bike in to have the clutch actuator recall work done with "The Fix" installed on my bike. I did point out to the service writer that my actuator had a hole drilled in it and that the tech should be alerted to not worry about it. Everything went well except I had a really good clutch on my bike before the work was done. The pull wasn't bad even with AIM heavy springs and engagement started at about an inch from the grip. Unfortunately that is no longer the case. That's one reason I was hesitant to have the recall done. I'll just have to deal with it. I do have an early model actuator that could be installed, that is probably the direction I am headed.

Old 04-10-2019 | 09:50 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I finally got around to taking my bike in to have the clutch actuator recall work done with "The Fix" installed on my bike. I did point out to the service writer that my actuator had a hole drilled in it and that the tech should be alerted to not worry about it. Everything went well except I had a really good clutch on my bike before the work was done. The pull wasn't bad even with AIM heavy springs and engagement started at about an inch from the grip. Unfortunately that is no longer the case. That's one reason I was hesitant to have the recall done. I'll just have to deal with it. I do have an early model actuator that could be installed, that is probably the direction I am headed.
$C, only the piston and seal rings are changed as you know. Mine had air in the line afterwards and I had to bleed mine again at home. Puzzling yours isn’t good now.. the actuator housing is re-used, as you know. Should be no difference.

What is different now? Release point?

Old 04-10-2019 | 10:02 AM
$tonecold
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by RK14SGS
$C, only the piston and seal rings are changed as you know. Mine had air in the line afterwards and I had to bleed mine again at home. Puzzling yours isn’t good now.. the actuator housing is re-used, as you know. Should be no difference.

What is different now? Release point?
The force required to pull the hand lever seems to have increased. This is kind of a weird deal, and Steve Cole can verify this. When we were cam testing last year I had just installed "The Fix" on my bike. During the testing I was curious as to whether the clutch pushrod was being oiled by the primary oil vapor so I pulled the actuator. When I re-installed the actuator my clutch was noticeably easier to pull. I have no idea as to why. So I seemed to have lost that.

Also my clutch would start engagement at about an inch from the grip before the recall work. It now seems to be farther out. I will ride it for a bit to see what happens, but basically they seemed to have screwed up a perfectly functioning clutch and actuator. I was leery of that happening before I took it in. Like I said, I have the actuator from my '15 that I can install and that should fix the problems.

Old 04-10-2019 | 10:33 AM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Great. I just dropped mine off. Clutch was perfect for me. Hopefully it still will be.

Old 04-10-2019 | 03:01 PM
Moose2011FLHX
Tourer

Had mine done a couple of weeks ago and it functioned just the same before and after.

Old 04-10-2019 | 03:10 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Mine was done a couple weeks ago. Didn't notice any difference after install versus how it was before.

I still think in the future, I may get that AIM piece put in though as a future upgrades coming, measure.

Old 04-10-2019 | 04:11 PM
RinTin
Tourer

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Are you saying you have your old one still or not? I had the AIM installed instead of recall. If you need the old version PM me, they put mine in my AIM box. I will mail my old one to you free for all you've done to help this forum. It's off my 2018 CVO Limited.

The following users liked this post:
Hawg Runner (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019 | 11:00 AM
$tonecold
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by RinTin
Are you saying you have your old one still or not? I had the AIM installed instead of recall. If you need the old version PM me, they put mine in my AIM box. I will mail my old one to you free for all you've done to help this forum. It's off my 2018 CVO Limited.
The recall consist of replacing the guts in your existing actuator, so my "old one" is still in the bike. There have just been quite a few members that have purchased "The Fix" that have asked about getting the recall done on the actuator with the hole drilled in it. I am just letting everyone know that they will do it, at least the dealer I bought my bike from did.

If you really don't want your old actuator I will take it, but if I were you I would hold on to it in case you get the urge to trade the bike or something goes awry with the AIM actuator.

As for all I've done to help the forum, I guess that is debatable. If someone has a problem that I can help with I try, but so do most of the members here. That's why I like this forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
bradsULtd (04-15-2019), Hawg Runner (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019 | 06:50 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Done. Got a good ride in today. Can’t tell the difference.

Old 04-14-2019 | 09:28 AM
binford6100
Cruiser

I had the clutch recall done when I picked up my bike from winter storage a week ago. To me, the friction point seems to be closer to the grip than it was before but then I’d not ridden it in 5 months so I could be wrong.

My clutch lever always had this annoying little clicking sound/feel that’s now gone so that’s a plus.

Last edited by binford6100; 04-14-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Clutch Actuator Recall Done on Bike with "The Fix"