Sponsored by:

2019 Road King in shop w/Sumping

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:43 PM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 112 Posts
Default 2019 Road King in shop w/Sumping

Bought a 2019 Road King in January. At about 500 miles I felt what seemed like sumping (sudden loss of power), but it cleared up after it sat for a little while.
Today, at about 1100 miles I felt the sumping again, but this time it started making engine noises, but would still start up and was drivable. Since I was only a couple miles from a Harley Dealer I nursed it in there, where it currently sets.
I should know something tomorrow, but clearly the 2019's still have the sumping issue. The bike is bone stock and is due for a 124 upgrade at Fuelmoto in late May -- now I'm not so sure.

Top Answer

04-04-2019, 10:01 AM
hdrider1
Tourer

Originally Posted by anthony_b.
...hope for the best for you. I'd be pissed if you didn't get a new motor-there'd be more labor & parts to repair that motor vs a new motor. Even if they could "temporarily" fix that motor, what else maybe wrong with it they might miss or cannot see?
Got a call this morning -- they are shipping a new motor. Supposed to be here early next week -- maybe I'll be riding by the end of the week.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,219 Likes on 3,430 Posts

What is the build date of your bike?

Old 04-02-2019, 09:04 PM
hdrider1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dynamick
What is the build date of your bike?
Don't know - can I determine that from the VIN? Bikes in the shop and not accessible -- was bought mid-Jan.

Last edited by hdrider1; 04-02-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,996 Likes on 17,903 Posts

So the bike losses power it's automatically sumping.... Why not wait for the service report before doing the conclusion high jump ?

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
royston (04-03-2019), Steel Wheels (04-03-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 10:42 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,219 Likes on 3,430 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider1
Don't know - can I determine that from the VIN? Bikes in the shop and not accessible -- was bought mid-Jan.
You can narrow it down to the month by checking the frame, there's a sticker on it showing month/year of manufacture. I asked about build date because sometime after the start of MY '19 production H-D started installing an oil pump with a revised backplate/seal that was intended to stop sumping.

If your bike was an early build it didn't get this update installed at the factory.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:14 AM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

You can narrow it down to the month by checking the frame, there's a sticker on it showing month/year of manufacture. I asked about build date because sometime after the start of MY '19 production H-D started installing an oil pump with a revised backplate/seal that was intended to stop sumping.

If your bike was an early build it didn't get this update installed at the factory.
The updated parts won't keep them all from sumping.

My 2019 Limited sumped at 7,400 miles. Repaired per SB M1450. Sumped again within 30 miles.

Dealer had the bike 5 weeks. Harley eventually got involved. Don't know if it got fixed the third time or not. I got rid of the POS!

Nobody gave a rip that it was down in prime riding weather. Customer service from the MOCO and dealer sucked! The MOCO never contacted me after contacting them 4 times for the sumping issue.

The following users liked this post:
#Ride (11-10-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 01:51 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,009 Likes on 714 Posts

The updated parts won't keep them all from sumping.

My 2019 Limited sumped at 7,400 miles. Repaired per SB M1450. Sumped again within 30 miles.

Dealer had the bike 5 weeks. Harley eventually got involved. Don't know if it got fixed the third time or not. I got rid of the POS!

Nobody gave a rip that it was down in prime riding weather. Customer service from the MOCO and dealer sucked! The MOCO never contacted me after contacting them 4 times for the sumping issue.

So your bike or your mates bike sumped ? As you've stated else where "his" bike did and now it's "your" bike, I believe it's no bike .

Peace.

Last edited by Agoober; 04-03-2019 at 04:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
royston (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 06:56 AM
hdrider1
Tourer

The dealer said one of the first things they'll check is whether its got the reviised backplate/seal. As well as calling the MOCO. Hopefully I'll hear something later today.

This also seems to be one of the more competent dealers around here -- they mentioned that the Fat Clutch Rod appeared to solve the Fluid transfer problems (the other design problem with the M8) and had installed several on customers bikes. Not something I expected to hear from a Dealer.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:26 AM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider1
The dealer said one of the first things they'll check is whether its got the reviised backplate/seal. As well as calling the MOCO. Hopefully I'll hear something later today.
Looking forward to hearing the answer to this one. Subscribed. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Agoober

So your bike or your mates bike sumped ? As you've stated else where "his" bike did and now it's "your" bike, I believe it's no bike .

Peace.
You caught me Newbie or should I refer to you as Dick Tracy!

It was my bike and my experience. Didn't want to post on my sumping issue before the fiasco was over, but I did. It was finally over and settled Saturday. My 2019 114" Limited is gone!

Quick Reply: 2019 Road King in shop w/Sumping