Sponsored by:

2019 Road King in shop w/Sumping

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Well, not mine but that wasn't my fault - first stock engine sumped at 5600 miles, replacement sumped 600 miles after that. That replacement lasted 400 miles, then Harley replaced the bike. Now I've got about 7400 on the new bike.

But to the other poster's point, yes, I started threads when all this happened, but not to claim that its some big universal problem and to warn others not to buy one, I just was interested in the advice of others and to understand who else had had these issues.

I love the bike, and in fact depending on what comes out in 2020, I may very well trade for a new one.
Typical troubleshooting logic would lead me to believe it's an issue with something other than the engine. But if they wanna keep throwing engines at you than so be it.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:10 PM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 112 Posts

Just received a text from the tech at the dealership. My new engine has arrived -- he's going to try to finish the install by the end of the week -- should be riding again by this weekend, or at the latest early next week.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Typical troubleshooting logic would lead me to believe it's an issue with something other than the engine. But if they wanna keep throwing engines at you than so be it.
You would think so of course, and I discussed this at length with the regional tech lead. They went through the engine oil passages in the transmission (both times), didnt see any flow issues, etc, but after the 3rd engine went, it was no longer an issue of correct diagnosis, I just wanted a new bike and he agreed with no hesitation.

GPHDXLC (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:09 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,262 Likes on 4,437 Posts

Originally Posted by intrepidxc
It's a fair concern and your call to make on not buying the M8. That's the beauty of free enterprise, we're all free to vote with our wallets.

All I'm saying is the Twin Cams had similar problems. Cam Tensioners, overheating issues, etc.

Outside of the forums, I don't see many people complaining of sumping or fluid transfer. I think there is a bit of confirmation bias happening on this forum which is compounded by the fact that you principal hear from people who have problems and not people who aren't having problems. I'm approaching 30k miles on my M8 with no issues. To be fair, I did spend an additional $500 to buy the S&S cam plate and oil pump as a precautionary measure. They were both installed when I did my stage 2 upgrade last week.

I haven't had any noticeable fluid transfer, but I've kept my transmission and primary fluids the same (formula+) just in case.

Either way, this is a rambling post to say I disagree with your assessment, but I'm glad we're all free to make our own choices. In my case I decided that the low probability of sumping (especially after addressing the oil pump/cam plate) even when coupled with the high consequence of sumping weren't enough to dissuade me from the M8.
Not a problem.... I don't take it personally if someone doesn't agree with me......

Still not buying an M8.... yet....

But I do keep reading the M8 section, and the experiences of people who love the M8 are the only reason I haven't completely blown it off........

Old 04-10-2019, 10:48 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird71
You know, reading abt all these problems could well make a guy just steer clear of the M8

My problem is, I have a 2014 103 Tri Glide everything's good except it has NO roll on power
The 103s just aren't enough motor for the TG w/o some serious builds and I dont want to go that route...
Just a simple cam upgrade, along with the mandatory exhaust/air cleaner, and you can be flirting with 100/100, which is 20+ hp MORE than a stock M8.

My Stage 2 below now has over 30,000 miles on the upgrade, runs like a beast, and gets 40+ mpg. And it was lot cheaper than a new motorcycle.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:10 PM
AliensilverFXDBI
Road Captain
Received 265 Likes on 122 Posts

This is maddening. I'm sitting on 2 TC softails and a TC road king. I want a nice new bike so bad and could trade all 3 of mine in and have a new M8 touring bike paid for (Wanting RK) but these issues freak me out! My bikes are my wheels and any downtime is unacceptable (especially if all of my eggs are in one basket so to speak). I know the number of issues pale in comparison to production numbers, I just wonder how many people buy these bikes and use them to hold down the garage floor?

A million M8s sold and I bet 95% of them have less than 5k miles on them. Are the "few" problems in the 5% of those bikes that get ridden????

Old 04-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by AliensilverFXDBI
This is maddening. I'm sitting on 2 TC softails and a TC road king. I want a nice new bike so bad and could trade all 3 of mine in and have a new M8 touring bike paid for (Wanting RK) but these issues freak me out! My bikes are my wheels and any downtime is unacceptable (especially if all of my eggs are in one basket so to speak). I know the number of issues pale in comparison to production numbers, I just wonder how many people buy these bikes and use them to hold down the garage floor?

A million M8s sold and I bet 95% of them have less than 5k miles on them. Are the "few" problems in the 5% of those bikes that get ridden????
You must have a huge *** to be sitting on three bikes at once.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:38 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,510 Likes on 2,710 Posts

Originally Posted by AliensilverFXDBI

Better keep one TC as a backup if you buy an M8. I want a RKS but since 2017 Ive been turned off because chances are Ill have a problem and it'll happen outside of warranty (warrantee for you Americans) because I wont put 20K on it yearly, probably only manage 10K before its expired then Im screwed.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:32 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 533 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by intrepidxc
I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that it's a design problem causing sumping. If it was a design problem it should show in every bike operated outside the design parameters. Since a fairly small number of bikes are sumping, I tend to believe it's a problem with production process or is a design issue, but only when the bikes are operated in a way at the edge of the operating envelope.

That doesn't excuss HD for having the problem, but it changes the way you need to look at the problem.
Hey, I can't argue mainly because no root cause(s) are known, at least to us...

Old 04-11-2019, 07:02 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

2018 FLTRU Road Glide Ultra. 16,200 miles as of yesterday’s 140 miler to San Diego for a Dr appt. No regrets for trading my perfectly good 2016 Ultra Classic for it a little over a year ago.

This is the best motorcycle I’ve ever bought and rode. I don’t baby it a bit. I explore all rpm up to the limiter but I don’t ride WOT for more than a second or two. I wouldn’t do that on any of the three Goldwings I owned either. Just asking for trouble. With ANY engine.

I really feel feel for those who miss out on this great machine out of fear of a breakdown. It’s a darned shame.

southerncannuck (04-13-2019)

Quick Reply: 2019 Road King in shop w/Sumping