Sponsored by:

2019 Road King in shop w/Sumping

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,510 Likes on 2,710 Posts

Look how thin that case wall is.

Note the two part gear on the balancer. Its like what Mazda did with their cam drives. Both gears have a different number of teeth so they rotate at different speeds, one being fixed and the thin one not. The gears will have a friction plate between them and its designed to keep lash at zero so there's no noise. Could be wrong but thats what it looks like.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:52 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

THAT's the one! Thanks man.

Based on that design the only way that could happen is with sheared teeth on the counterbalancer gear.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:59 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Look how thin that case wall is.

Note the two part gear on the balancer. Its like what Mazda did with their cam drives. Both gears have a different number of teeth so they rotate at different speeds, one being fixed and the thin one not. The gears will have a friction plate between them and its designed to keep lash at zero so there's no noise. Could be wrong but thats what it looks like.
Where you seeing a two part gear? I see one on the counter balancer, and one on the crankshaft. From other pictures those are the same size. Considering the balancer's location, they would have to be, or at least some fraction of size such that the counter weight NEVER strikes the crank pin. The counter weight only has a specific range of time it is allowed to swing between the flywheels, not like the TC-B motor where the counterbalancers have their own little universe to spin around in.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:51 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Where you seeing a two part gear? I see one on the counter balancer, and one on the crankshaft. From other pictures those are the same size. Considering the balancer's location, they would have to be, or at least some fraction of size such that the counter weight NEVER strikes the crank pin. The counter weight only has a specific range of time it is allowed to swing between the flywheels, not like the TC-B motor where the counterbalancers have their own little universe to spin around in.
If you look at the countershaft gear you'll see a parting line and the teeth dont align. If its what I think it is, its there to prevent noise from lash, keeps the gear loaded so it can't fluctuate. The two parts move independently and are only connected through friction.

Last edited by hellonewman; 04-05-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:57 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

dual gear keeps backlash in check. Like I said it just looks like they're using that approach with the balancer gear. Unequal number of teeth means two different speeds, its a neat solution.

Last edited by hellonewman; 04-05-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:01 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

I see what you're talking about. Keeping backlash in check but I'm pretty sure that gear on the side is the same size as the one it's mated to, just offset a bit and spring loaded.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:03 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
I see what you're talking about. Keeping backlash in check but I'm pretty sure that gear on the side is the same size as the one it's mated to, just offset a bit and spring loaded.
It has to have a different number of teeth to function, you dont understand the concept. I was just making an observation. Back to sumping!

Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 AM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RinTin
Exactly. They will change it if you ask. My service manager insisted, beyond me knowing and shared an explanation after. You want this back like " New".
I'm liking this dealer more every day. I texted the tech this morning saying I wanted a new oil pan. He immediately texted back saying I get a new pan and oil cooler.

The following 8 users liked this post by hdrider1:
Don Michigan (04-14-2019), G'day (04-12-2019), hattitude (04-06-2019), MTBIG G (04-05-2019), RinTin (04-05-2019), roadkinglobo (04-10-2019), sixguns (04-05-2019), skid_pimp (04-10-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-05-2019, 12:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,998 Likes on 17,904 Posts

If you look at the countershaft gear you'll see a parting line and the teeth dont align. If its what I think it is, its there to prevent noise from lash, keeps the gear loaded so it can't fluctuate. The two parts move independently and are only connected through friction.
Harley's version the thin section is spring loaded to keep tension, one of the issues I'm a bit leary of with mine springs do break over time. Before I changed my pipes you could still hear gear whine occasionally.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

It has to have a different number of teeth to function, you dont understand the concept. I was just making an observation. Back to sumping!
Whoa, please don't say I don't understand and then try to change the subject...

It's called an anti-backlash gear, one right next to the other, and one is spring loaded to make it offset from the other to reduce backlash. The offset is consistent for each tooth around the entire gear. When it's mated to the crankshaft gear everything lines up perfectly like nature intended. If the spring loaded gear had less teeth, this would cause the distance between the two gears teeth to vary around the whole gear assuming they were the same diameter. (a gear of lower diameter would be pointless, obviously)

Here's a larger one to show the teeth

Quick Reply: 2019 Road King in shop w/Sumping