M8 Dyno Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 12:28 PM
willcasp
Club Member
Received 124 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JED POLAND
What software was used?
Great results - I am at this very moment having brainstorm as what to go with (cam, 122, 124, 131) and this graph might cost me a few dollars 🙃
And with this being said, I wish you had another cam in there 😉
The tune was done at the dealer using Power Vision 3.

Regarding the cam.. funny story about that. I am investigating cams as well. The original plan was to do the Stage IV with Screaming Eagle everything, including the tune; in order to keep the factory warranty and take advantage of HD extending the factory warranty to all of the added components as they were installed within 60 days of purchase. Two issues cropped up.. first, I had a California VIN. Motorcycle purchased in Washington, I live in Washington. There are no tunes available from SE for California VIN motorcycles. Second, I had a cracked rocker arm already.. 1K miles on a stock 114. My goal was to get some more power while keeping the engine relatively reliable. I am ok not getting cutting edge power if it prevents the headaches that can come with it.
Had I gone in with the original plan being to trash the warranty, I may have gone with different parts!

Old 10-03-2022, 05:25 PM
JED POLAND
Road Captain
Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by willcasp
The tune was done at the dealer using Power Vision 3.

Regarding the cam.. funny story about that. I am investigating cams as well. The original plan was to do the Stage IV with Screaming Eagle everything, including the tune; in order to keep the factory warranty and take advantage of HD extending the factory warranty to all of the added components as they were installed within 60 days of purchase. Two issues cropped up.. first, I had a California VIN. Motorcycle purchased in Washington, I live in Washington. There are no tunes available from SE for California VIN motorcycles. Second, I had a cracked rocker arm already.. 1K miles on a stock 114. My goal was to get some more power while keeping the engine relatively reliable. I am ok not getting cutting edge power if it prevents the headaches that can come with it.
Had I gone in with the original plan being to trash the warranty, I may have gone with different parts!
CALIFORNIA VIN?!
Didn't know anything like that exists!

Now, why would stock rocker arm crack FFS?

Old 10-03-2022, 05:28 PM
JED POLAND
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 90anlu92
RPMs is indeed RPMs, but NM is not ftlbs. Inserting different units of measurements in a numerical graph will yield different curve heights, even though the torque is the same. You seem to have grasped the concept when it comes to dick size, yet you've applied it backwards when it comes to torque curves. The torque will be the same, yes. But representing it on a graph using two different units of measurements will result in two different curves, even though they describe the same thing. Just like the dick sizes would look different on a graph when inserted in a uniformely scaled numerical graph that doesn't have its own specified unit of measurement.

These three dicks are the same size, but since they've been measured using different units of measurement they look like they aren't. Just like a torque curve using NM will be higher on the graph compared to the same torque measured in ftlbs.

Get it now?
Damn! Seems like I have missed a lot of fun here!!!
Did he understand eventually? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Old 11-01-2022, 05:34 PM
SoCalHarley
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Here's my 21 SGS with SE 131 Stage 4 kit, SE Extreme Ventilator AC, FM XXX 2/1/2 header, SE Street Cannon mufflers and PV tune. All kit components as supplied including SE517 cam.

Last edited by SoCalHarley; 11-01-2022 at 05:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SoCalHarley:
Adirondack Bob (11-03-2022), Hardcase61 (11-02-2022), JED POLAND (11-02-2022), Keithhu (11-01-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 11:36 AM
wjcbsr
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

My config:
2020 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

HD SE 131 Kit (which includes)
- CNC Ported Cylinder Head with CNC machined chamber
- 1mm larger valves
- Forged High Compression Pistons
- 4.31" Steel Sleeve Cylinders
- 64mm Throttle Body and Cast Manifold
- High Flow Injectors (5.5 g/sec)

Added after HD SE 131 Kit
- S&S lifters
- FuelMoto adjustable lifter pushrods
- HD SE billet cam plate and oil pump
- CycleRama CR-512 Cam
- Rinehart 2-1 exhaust system
- CycleRama Compensator ramp

- PowerVision Tuner w/TargetTune wide-band O2 sensors

Attached Files

Last edited by wjcbsr; 11-02-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:39 AM
JED POLAND
Road Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by SoCalHarley
Here's my 21 SGS with SE 131 Stage 4 kit, SE Extreme Ventilator AC, FM XXX 2/1/2 header, SE Street Cannon mufflers and PV tune. All kit components as supplied including SE517 cam.
So these fine numbers from that "overpaid thrash" SE stuff?
Interesting!

The following users liked this post:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (01-13-2023)
Old 11-03-2022, 08:10 AM
SoCalHarley
Tourer

Originally Posted by JED POLAND
So these fine numbers from that "overpaid trash" SE stuff?
Interesting!
Yes, all overpaid trash SE stuff. For me adding a cam to gain about 10+ hp/tq is not worth it. The bike goes good and driveability with the SE517 cam is perfect. Cruising i am getting over 40mpg as well with this setup. Muffler choice is really important with the XXX headpipe.

The following 2 users liked this post by SoCalHarley:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (01-16-2023), JED POLAND (01-13-2023)
Old 11-03-2022, 08:45 AM
BigT12
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Yes, all overpaid trash SE stuff. For me adding a cam to gain about 10+ hp/tq is not worth it. The bike goes good and driveability with the SE517 cam is perfect. Cruising i am getting over 40mpg as well with this setup. Muffler choice is really important with the XXX headpipe.
Did you try different mufflers?

Old 11-04-2022, 07:44 AM
SoCalHarley
Tourer

I have not tried different ones but I discussed with FM st length before purchase of the XXX. Also did research and mufflers that ste too open will impact low rpm torque.

Old 11-04-2022, 08:44 PM
BigT12
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I have not tried different ones but I discussed with FM st length before purchase of the XXX. Also did research and mufflers that ste too open will impact low rpm torque.
I’m in the process now of building a 131” for myself. I plan on using the same FM xxx head pipe with the FM Street Outlaw mufflers. It worked well in my 124”

Quick Reply: M8 Dyno Numbers