2019 M8 114 Slip-ons, no tuner, no problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 10:02 AM
KeyResults
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2019 M8 114 Slip-ons, no tuner, no problem

2019 M8 114 (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
As an experiment I changed out the Slip-on’s from Stock to Magna Flow Hitman’s. Without changing tune or Air Cleaner or anything else to see if I could detect any difference other than sound related. I couldn’t. No decel pop or any other performance hit that I could feel positive or negative. It just sounds much better. As weird as it may sound, I may be getting incrementally better gas mileage, seriously. LOL
So, I’d have to say, that as long as you don’t change the head-pipes or mess with catalytic converter, you’re good to go with slip-on’s designed for your late model M8 114.

Next Up: Change the Air Cleaner
Now, I have ordered the Ventilator Air Cleaner to replace stock. I do expect the M8 to react negatively to this change until I update fuel map. Then I am expecting a performance benefit, but only after a tune, so I also ordered the SE Pro Street Tuner after some real deliberation. (After warranty is up, I’ll decide if there is really any reason at all to change things - Decided to play within the EPA/HD rules even though I expect zero issues )

I will change the AC, ride it and report what happens. Then I will flash the bike using the SEPST, and again note differences, if any, noted here fwiw. At this point I will be at equivalent HD Stage 1 except instead of Street Cannon mufflers, I’ll have a aftermarket set of mufflers installed.

I’ve been riding for a very long time, and I should be able to detect any “real” impact without a dyno. At least I think so. You experienced guys know how we can listen and just know when something isn’t quite right, or when the bike seems extra happy. I’m pretty sure I’ll know. In any case, I’ve already solved my original intent for the upgrade, so anything else positive will just be bonus material.

Why did I change stock slip-on mufflers?
I have felt a little too exposed on the long freeway runs and wanted to improve chances of being heard/felt by surrounding drivers. Mission accomplished IMO. Deep pleasing growl, and car alarms and dogs always respond now, but neighbors can still sleep in.
I Love this 2019 M8 114 engine! This thing, stock, walks all over my 2014 Rushmore Wet Head. It’s no contest. I have one huge *** and this thing moves it without complaint like a boss. So, as far as upgrading for performance, I’d just have to say, I’m totally good with 114ci M8 stock performance. It just needs to a little tweaking in the sound dept IMO.

Hope this scenario helps a few others,

More later.

K

Last edited by KeyResults; 02-25-2019 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fatboy1017 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:15 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,541 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Deleted. I need to learn to read better.

Last edited by Mchad; 02-25-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:23 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,389 Likes on 4,790 Posts

Originally Posted by KeyResults
2019 M8 114 (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
As an experiment I changed out the Slip-on’s from Stock to Magna Flow Hitman’s. Without changing tune or Air Cleaner or anything else to see if I could detect any difference other than sound related. I couldn’t. No decel pop or any other performance hit that I could feel positive or negative. It just sounds much better. As weird as it may sound, I may be getting incrementally better gas mileage, seriously. LOL
So, I’d have to say, that as long as you don’t change the head-pipes or mess with catalytic converter, you’re good to go with slip-on’s designed for your late model M8 114.

Next Up: Change the Air Cleaner
Now, I have ordered the Ventilator Air Cleaner to replace stock. I do expect the M8 to react negatively to this change until I update fuel map. Then I am expecting a performance benefit, but only after a tune, so I also ordered the SE Pro Street Tuner after some real deliberation. (After warranty is up, I’ll decide if there is really any reason at all to change things - Decided to play within the EPA/HD rules even though I expect zero issues )

I will change the AC, ride it and report what happens. Then I will flash the bike using the SEPST, and again note differences, if any, noted here fwiw. At this point I will be at equivalent HD Stage 1 except instead of Street Cannon mufflers, I’ll have a aftermarket set of mufflers installed.

I’ve been riding for a very long time, and I should be able to detect any “real” impact without a dyno. At least I think so. You experienced guys know how we can listen and just know when something isn’t quite right, or when the bike seems extra happy. I’m pretty sure I’ll know. In any case, I’ve already solved my original intent for the upgrade, so anything else positive will just be bonus material.

Why did I change stock slip-on mufflers?
I have felt a little too exposed on the long freeway runs and wanted to improve chances of being heard/felt by surrounding drivers. Mission accomplished IMO. Deep pleasing growl, and car alarms and dogs always respond now, but neighbors can still sleep in.

I Love this 2019 M8 114 engine! This thing, stock, walks all over my 2014 Rushmore Wet Head. It’s no contest. I have one huge *** and this thing moves it without complaint like a boss. So, as far as upgrading for performance, I’d just have to say, I’m totally good with 114ci M8 stock performance. It just needs to a little tweaking in the sound dept IMO.

Hope this scenario helps a few others,

More later.

K
I would update the ECM calibration before riding it with AC and Freer flowing mufflers...but that's just me and my OCD about doing the right thing I guess

no need to explain or justify changing mufflers, pretty much everyone always has for all the obvious reasons...

re: "and car alarms and dogs always respond now, but neighbors can still sleep in"....neighbors must take heavy doses of Sominex to sleep through all the car alarms going off and dogs barking..LOL

Last edited by mjwebb; 02-25-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:25 AM
steveg56
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the thread. Looking forward to the incremental add ons to see how much the tuner and AC provide using HD stuff

Old 02-25-2019, 11:31 AM
KeyResults
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems like everybody ignores car alarms these days... LOL

Fair point on flashing the ECM. I’ll go ahead and flash with new slip-on’s BEFORE the AC to see if I can tell any difference after capturing stock Fuel MAP.

Then I’ll return it to stock Fuel Map, and then change the AC from stock to the new Ventilator.

Now test ride w stock fuel map to note an detected behavior/performance (very subjective obviously but I do expect notable negative lean condition with now much higher system intake and slightly better(?) exhaust outflow. I say slightly better on exhaust only because stock head pipes haven’t changed at all and I just don’t think exhaust back pressure will be much different without a complete high-flow exhaust change. Again, it’s some of my ancient bracket racing days experience influencing my expectations here (1/4 mi cars w mechanical FI).

Finally, we’ll flash er up with proper tune, well as good as we can with available constraints of the SEPST and HD profiles, and see what happens. I expect it to perform slightly better than stock. IOW, Stage 1. I should feel some goodness, with no negatives other than slightly poorer and out a couple hours of time.

AC and tuner should arrive on doorstep before day is out. If I’ve missed anything else, obvious that you’d find helpful, let me know and I’ll try to accommodate you.

BTW: FWIW, the after market Magna Flow Hitman slip-on’s were on the bike in 37 minutes including some housekeeping. The 2019 M8 114 FLHTK has just under 4K miles on it. Minimum tools required and you’re rockin’ it. I’ll try to note how much of a PITA, or not, the AC and Tuner are to implement, but I suspect they’re gonna be super easy too once I get the software registered and the map(s) updates downloaded from HD

K

Old 02-25-2019, 11:47 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,389 Likes on 4,790 Posts

Fair point on flashing the ECM. I’ll go ahead and flash with new slip-on’s BEFORE the AC to see if I can tell any difference after capturing stock Fuel MAP.

Then I’ll return it to stock Fuel Map, and then change the AC from stock to the new Ventilator.

Now test ride w stock fuel map to note an detected behavior/performance (very subjective obviously but I do expect notable negative lean condition with now much higher system intake and slightly better(?) exhaust outflow. I say slightly better on exhaust only because stock head pipes haven’t changed at all and I just don’t think exhaust back pressure will be much different without a complete high-flow exhaust change. Again, it’s some of my ancient bracket racing days experience influencing my expectations here (1/4 mi cars w mechanical FI).

Finally, we’ll flash er up with proper tune, well as good as we can with available constraints of the SEPST and HD profiles, and see what happens. I expect it to perform slightly better than stock. IOW, Stage 1. I should feel some goodness, with no negatives other than slightly poorer and out a couple hours of time.

AC and tuner should arrive on doorstep before day is out. If I’ve missed anything else, obvious that you’d find helpful, let me know and I’ll try to accommodate you.

BTW: FWIW, the after market Magna Flow Hitman slip-on’s were on the bike in 37 minutes including some housekeeping. The 2019 M8 114 FLHTK has just under 4K miles on it. Minimum tools required and you’re rockin’ it. I’ll try to note how much of a PITA, or not, the AC and Tuner are to implement, but I suspect they’re gonna be super easy too once I get the software registered and the map(s) updates downloaded from HD

K
actually my point in doing the ECM recalibration was directed towards the dire consequences warning from the MOCO on running an engine with the increased air flow and not recalibrating first....now I understand folks have done this without their engines spontaneously combusting the minute they ride off and all, but sounds like you value your warranty so why take the risk? is it worth some simple subjective test result sessions, I dunno', but I wouldn't run mine that way, good luck

"You must recalibrate the ECM when installing this kit. Failure to properly recalibrate the ECM can result in severe engine damage."

Old 02-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Dutchy3051
Tourer
Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Hey Brother, It's always great to hear what someone is doing to their machinery themselves, rather than having the dealer do stuff. That being said, I've also upgraded the exhaust (albeit the Cannons), easy to do, and hope to install a K&N filter (want to keep the stock air box to hide my catch can) and then purchase/install a SEPST on my 2018 FLHTK Anniversary. Can you explain to me the steps, how to flash etc, and the level of difficulty of installing the SEPST after you're done? Thanks, Dutchy

Old 02-25-2019, 12:02 PM
Mchad
Club Member

K
I always wondered if you can return to the stock tune once flashed with the SE tuner. I didn't think it saved a copy of the original tune like most of the aftermarket tuners do. I didn't think about looking to see if original tunes are in the apps database. Interesting.

AC is a walk in the park. a few bolts and off it comes.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:11 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Dutchy3051
Hey Brother, It's always great to hear what someone is doing to their machinery themselves, rather than having the dealer do stuff. That being said, I've also upgraded the exhaust (albeit the Cannons), easy to do, and hope to install a K&N filter (want to keep the stock air box to hide my catch can) and then purchase/install a SEPST on my 2018 FLHTK Anniversary. Can you explain to me the steps, how to flash etc, and the level of difficulty of installing the SEPST after you're done? Thanks, Dutchy
Everything you need to know is right here: http://streetperformancetuner.harley...reetTuner.aspx

Old 02-25-2019, 06:05 PM
DenisLM
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting that I'm exactly at the same point.
I Installed the new slip-ons (SE) couple weeks ago and went for couple rides and didn't noticed any difference good or bad. (other than the nice sound, maybe a tad of placebo butt dyno.. )
Last weekend I installed the new air intake (also SE) and ran out of time to do the ECM flash. Even thought about go for a ride and feel the before and after the ECM flash but the weather isn't helping.

I went thru the SEPST and didn't find any way to get the stock map back. Not crazy worried about it, but a bummer for sure.

One thing for sure I'll do is load the stage one map and use it for few rides and them go for the smart tune to compare the before and after. At least the stage one map can be reloaded...

Quick Reply: 2019 M8 114 Slip-ons, no tuner, no problem