Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any baffles rattling with the new Street Cannons?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 07:33 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,096 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Erilflynn

Hey again. Just curious were the Rineharts that much louder than the new SC’s? Love the look of the chrome 4” Rineharts and always wanted some but notif they’re loud. And to me even the new SC’s are louder than what I’m used to. Thanks.
I think the Rineharts are pretty loud but it’s a matter of opinion. Some folks think they’re not loud enough. They’re definitely louder than the Cannons.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:18 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 915 Likes on 516 Posts

Old thread but, can you explain the noise you were experiencing with the loose baffle? I’ve been chasing a damn rattle/ grinding noise for well over a year. I thought it might be my wheel bearing but after having they changed with the tire it’s still there. Sounds like it’s getting worse. Coming from the rear right side and it’s worse when I swerve. Driving me crazy and ive had Harley and an independent check it out without much luck.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:22 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,132 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Studlintsean
Old thread but, can you explain the noise you were experiencing with the loose baffle? I’ve been chasing a damn rattle/ grinding noise for well over a year. I thought it might be my wheel bearing but after having they changed with the tire it’s still there. Sounds like it’s getting worse. Coming from the rear right side and it’s worse when I swerve. Driving me crazy and ive had Harley and an independent check it out without much luck.
Whenever my Street Cannons baffles were junk, I could kick the muffler and hear the baffle bang around inside the muffler. If you don't want to kick your muffler, remove the muffler and shake it. Or gently tap it on the ground. You will hear the baffle rattle inside the muffler. If the baffle is okay you will not hear anything.

With the bike running, I could only hear the rattle at idle. tap tap tap tap tap tap tap. metal to metal tapping with each shake of the bike.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:08 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

on my first set of Street Canons I could hear the left side muffler rattle, and by pressing my boot against the end of the muffler the rattle would stop so was simple validation...on my second set of Street Canons they apparently fixed the baffle rattling noise by allowing a 360 degree weld failure that drowned out the noise of the loose baffle

Old 08-29-2022, 03:08 PM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

That doesn't look like the weld failed.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:19 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by arnie54
That doesn't look like the weld failed.
yeah, bad description..we'll call it metal fatigue due to vibration then..or pick something..the thing is, for me and a couple friends and many on this and other forums..for some unknown reason the left side was the culprit..all we could do is try and guess..they were covered under warranty and the last replacement set were the 2nd Gen..they seemed to have an improved sound but I didn't keep the bike long enough to see if they improved them in ways to prevent those types of failures..fool me once, fool me twice..then I swore them off for good, even if they had lifetime warranties I lost faith and trust in them holding up the way they should be able to

Old 08-29-2022, 04:51 PM
Newfie
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I had my first set replaced under warranty due to a baffle weld breaking. The new ones are laser etched and I've been running them for 4 yrs no problems.