Sponsored by:

2019 SGS and Ohlin Shocks - advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 12:25 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Those are the ones I was just looking at. Pretty sure that is the way I am going.
Did you do the Ohlins fork upgrade as well?? Can't find a ton on this, for newer baggers anyway.
Thanks!
I did not, I did the new Fox inserts strictly based on cost, nice improvement, not in the same league as the ohlins though.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:51 PM
1badharley
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Those are the ones I was just looking at. Pretty sure that is the way I am going.
Did you do the Ohlins fork upgrade as well?? Can't find a ton on this, for newer baggers anyway.
Thanks!
There is not alot of info out there.....and what I can find only goes to 16 MY....nothing for the 17's and up

Old 07-10-2020, 07:53 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
I purchased a set of Ohlins #2-#2A from Howard and running them on a 2017 Limited Low. I may upgrade to a 2019 SGS. Would the same shocks work on the 2019 SGS? I assume so as I believe the 2019 SGS have 12" shocks. Thoughts?
Yes, they will fit with no issues.
if you liked them on your limited, you’ll like them just as well on your SGS. A slight adjustment might be needed to get your sag set correctly...but then you’ll be off and running.

Last edited by lyork; 07-10-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:21 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,505 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
My 17 had the hand adjustable "premium" shocks but they were bad. Ohlins made the ride really enjoyable. The 19's have a better premium shock?
Comparing stock Harley Davidson shock absorbers to Ohlins is laughable. I have a '19 SGS, and the stock shocks were junk. I don't care what kind of "premium" shock you have made by Harley, they aren't in the same league as an Ohlins shock.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:50 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Hahahaha... When I hear people taking about Ohlins suspension and they claim that "the old lady says the bike rides better".... You might as well just bolt on some Kuryakyn crap and stick to that. If riding over bumps more comfortably, you are wasting a lot of money.

If you are invested in high quality suspension... You should doing it to run the bike harder and faster in the corners... It's not for comfort.

The stock suspension is hot garbage but for casual riding it will do the job. If you are hammering corners and pushing it, then definitely upgrade. Most of the people I see on touring bikes are taking Sunday rides and wouldn't know the difference between $10k suspension and stock.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:05 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 896 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Di
Hahahaha... When I hear people taking about Ohlins suspension and they claim that "the old lady says the bike rides better".... You might as well just bolt on some Kuryakyn crap and stick to that. If riding over bumps more comfortably, you are wasting a lot of money.

If you are invested in high quality suspension... You should doing it to run the bike harder and faster in the corners... It's not for comfort.

The stock suspension is hot garbage but for casual riding it will do the job. If you are hammering corners and pushing it, then definitely upgrade. Most of the people I see on touring bikes are taking Sunday rides and wouldn't know the difference between $10k suspension and stock.
I disagree with pretty much this whole post.
I push my bagger on the street, around cones...and down the highway.

Good suspension does more than just track high speed sweepers, they also dampen better...thus, those Sunday riders also benefit from a better ride.
900 lb bike plus people and gear...who doesn't appreciate a better quality ride?

The factory premium adjustable shocks pale in comparison to any good shock for all reasons I've mentioned.
Sorry, speedsters and cruisers alike can benefit from better suspension.

JUST like speedsters and cruisers alike can benefit from Mo Power.

The following 2 users liked this post by dajogejr:
Eccool (07-24-2020), Largeandy (03-25-2021)
Old 07-19-2020, 04:46 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Originally Posted by dajogejr
I disagree with pretty much this whole post.
I push my bagger on the street, around cones...and down the highway.

Good suspension does more than just track high speed sweepers, they also dampen better...thus, those Sunday riders also benefit from a better ride.
900 lb bike plus people and gear...who doesn't appreciate a better quality ride?

The factory premium adjustable shocks pale in comparison to any good shock for all reasons I've mentioned.
Sorry, speedsters and cruisers alike can benefit from better suspension.

JUST like speedsters and cruisers alike can benefit from Mo Power.
agreed. That was the dumbest comment I've ever heard. Lol. No comparison in stock versus ohlins or most any other aftermarket suspension. Just traded bikes and test rode the new one, bought it and had them transfer my ohlins to the new bike. Could tell a world of difference immediately.

Last edited by teedoff65; 07-19-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:55 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain

Because you are "using" it. Most Harley guys have no clue.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:19 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,686 Likes on 3,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Di
Because you are "using" it. Most Harley guys have no clue.
While I agree with this in a sense, you don't have much of a clue either. You think that all shocks should be track shocks? The shock should match the rider. That means it should provide adequate plushness and stability without jarring the rider under severe conditions. The funny thing is that 2 guys may use the same shock and one loves it while the other hates it. A lot of this stuff depends on the aggressiveness of the rider, shock travel, riding conditions and the overall laden weight. Heck some like stiffer, some like softer. In that case one shock won't satisfy everyone. It just ain't so..

I willing to accept when some says they like their new shock that it was an improvement for them, but it sure as heck don't mean the shock works well for me. If they can't say why it's better then their statement really has no value. BTW, Don't make any difference if the shock is used in the dirt, on the track or street.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
While I agree with this in a sense, you don't have much of a clue either. You think that all shocks should be track shocks? The shock should match the rider. That means it should provide adequate plushness and stability without jarring the rider under severe conditions. The funny thing is that 2 guys may use the same shock and one loves it while the other hates it. A lot of this stuff depends on the aggressiveness of the rider, shock travel, riding conditions and the overall laden weight. Heck some like stiffer, some like softer. In that case one shock won't satisfy everyone. It just ain't so..

I willing to accept when some says they like their new shock that it was an improvement for them, but it sure as heck don't mean the shock works well for me. If they can't say why it's better then their statement really has no value. BTW, Don't make any difference if the shock is used in the dirt, on the track or street.
I think people missed my point....The OP came on asking about Ohlins which are generally the best you can get. My first post was to point out that if you are looking for a comfort shock for "the old lady"...you probably don't need to spend the money on Ohlins...but I digress.

Quick Reply: 2019 SGS and Ohlin Shocks - advice