Sponsored by:

Slip on exhaust question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:55 AM
MoltenRider
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip on exhaust question?

I've been trying to find out if I need to use a fuel tuner for slip on exhaust on the M8. I have one dealership telling me I need to buy the $300 fuel programmer and I have another telling me I don't need to tune for slip on. I would like a 3rd opinion please

Old 01-19-2019, 01:02 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Welcome to worthless HD and there dealerships. If all you do is Obummer Street Pud Slips. You don't need a tune at near sea level. If you do open slips,, yeah you might need a nudge. Read your plugs and figure it out.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:12 AM
MoltenRider
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Welcome to worthless HD and there dealerships. If all you do is Obummer Street Pud Slips. You don't need a tune at near sea level. If you do open slips,, yeah you might need a nudge. Read your plugs and figure it out.
I was looking at the cobra neighbor hater slip on. I've seen a few installs with them in YouTube. They did not use a tuner. I'm in indiana so we are near sea level. We usually read about 670 at work.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:22 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
What Psyshack is saying by reading your plugs is when you change your slip-ons, install new plugs and then run your bike for normal operation for a day, then pull your plugs and look at them.

A light brownish discoloration of the tip of the block indicates proper operation; other conditions may indicate malfunction. For example, a sandblasted look to the tip of the spark plug means persistent, light detonation is occurring, often unheard. The damage that is occurring to the tip of the spark plug is also occurring on the inside of the cylinder. Heavy detonation can cause outright breakage of the spark plug insulator and internal engine parts before appearing as sandblasted erosion but is easily heard. As another example, if the plug is too cold, there will be deposits on the nose of the plug. Conversely if the plug is too hot, the porcelain will be porous looking, almost like sugar. The material which seals the central electrode to the insulator will boil out. Sometimes the end of the plug will appear glazed, as the deposits have melted.

An idling engine will have a different impact on the spark plugs than one running at full throttle. Spark plug readings are only valid for the most recent engine operating conditions and running the engine under different conditions may erase or obscure characteristic marks previously left on the spark plugs. Thus, the most valuable information is gathered by running the engine at high speed and full load, immediately cutting the ignition off and stopping without idling or low speed operation and removing the plugs for reading.

The following users liked this post:
dcfatboy (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:00 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,299 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by MoltenRider
I've been trying to find out if I need to use a fuel tuner for slip on exhaust on the M8. I have one dealership telling me I need to buy the $300 fuel programmer and I have another telling me I don't need to tune for slip on. I would like a 3rd opinion please
well after spending what, $25000 ish? you could simply follow the manufacturers requirement of recalibrating the ECM for peace of mind for your engine and be done with it. anytime you alter air flow from OEM parameters it's not a bad idea to compensate for that by retuning....sure, lots of folks will say you wasted $300, which most easily spend that much on for chrome goodies...small price to pay imo but means different things to different folks..Hell I drop $300 on video lottery in a couple hours and don't lose sleep over it...

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-19-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:05 AM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by MoltenRider
The short answer is no. Unless you change the air/fuel mixture going IN to your engine you don't need a tuner. Any small changes your bike will compensate for. If you change the air cleaner the story changes!

madmat (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:13 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Quick answer...pipes only = no, but if you plan any future upgrades (e.g. full exhaust, intake, cams, etc.) it's a good investment to have on-hand early so you're ready for those mods. Pipes alone aren't going to change the motor's AFR enough to cause operational issues. Now...make sure you seal those pipes good at the header so there are no leaks. Otherwise you'll get annoying popping/pinging. I always use high-temp silicone (e.g. liquid copper) & re-torque after your 1st 50-miles.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Noisy Cricket
The short answer is no. Unless you change the air/fuel mixture going IN to your engine you don't need a tuner. Any small changes your bike will compensate for. If you change the air cleaner the story changes!
This has always been the prevailing thought. Even the MC didn’t require you before the M8. I guess the EPA forced this requirement unless it’s just greed by the MC to get you to buy their tuner.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:28 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,921 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
well after spending what, $25000 ish? you could simply follow the manufacturers requirement of recalibrating the ECM for peace of mind for your engine and be done with it. anytime you alter air flow from OEM parameters it's not a bad idea to compensate for that by retuning....sure, lots of folks will say you wasted $300, which most easily spend that much on for chrome goodies...small price to pay imo but means different things to different folks..Hell I drop $300 on video lottery in a couple hours and don't lose sleep over it...
This!
I think the new air cleaners flow very well. When changing to loud mufflers without cats or free flowing mufflers with cats the sound changes, that's a sign that you've opened the exhaust up which changes the tune. A lot of people will notice that they lose bottom end power, which is another hint that the tune has changed. A stock bike will also benefit from a tuner to get rid of the EPA restricted settings. If you get a tuner, buy one that you can also use for future modifications.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Others will correct me if I'm wrong but when I had the street tuner there was no map for just slip ons, just one for slip ons and ac so if you don't have a new ac then that tune would not be correct either. Since there is no map for just slip ons it would seem you will be fine without it but I'm no expert.

madmat (01-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Slip on exhaust question?