Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021 | 09:25 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hallfleming
Thank you Ssitruc for all the details of your experience and upgrades. I dropped my bike off today. Here's what I got going:
  • 2017 FLHTK with stock Impellers Rims just like Ssitruc. That should be 11.4mm hole.
  • The dealer only had one 32700096 TPMS sensor and the 32700052 is backed ordered. They are overnighting another 32700096 for Tuesday arrival. (I'm leaving on a 2k trip next Friday)
  • I have the GTS radio and plan to upgrade to 2019 + gauges for the idiot light and the selectable TPMS in the speedo screen later on after my trip.
Questions:
  • Where did you get the FOBO bushings in the event the 32700096 is 8mm like the 42300118 TPMS sensor? From what I can see online, the 42300118 (that are confirmed 8mm) sensors are backordered so that's why i went with the older style.
  • Kind of a repeat of the question above but are we certain the 32700096's are 11.4mm? I guess I could have the dealer measure the one they have?
Thanks in advance!
I could be wrong, but I am not aware of any HD stems with TPMS sensors that are 11.4mm..... That has really always been the main "issue" to deal with. Well besides changing the BCM on some models, and then getting a dealer to actually just enable the stuff lol.

If I Am Correct... HD's sensors all are made for the 8.3mm hole in the wheel. So, if someone knows of a particular part number of an HD stem w/sensor that is verifiably for wheels with 11.4mm holes, Please Correct Me... because I missed the memo! That one simple thing would make this whole process practically "plug and play".

I had used FOBO sensors for the last year or so (and another "in tire" TPMS system before that), and I had switched to FOBO metal T-stems when I was using the FOBOs. So I had a couple sets of the FOBO regular stems and a couple sets of FOBO's T-stems laying around... Their metal valve stem, the "T"s, or their straight ones, are "universal fit" and made to work in either 8.3mm holes or 11.4mm holes (by using the bushing in the larger hole, or not using it if your wheel has the smaller hole). I just pulled the bushing off one of those (the piece that goes into the wheel, not the "rubber washer" piece) and put it in the wheel's valve stem hole from the inside (the HD valve stem already has an o-ring on it at the base of the stem that will seal from the outside the wheel). The bushing is what the red arrow below is pointing at. FOBO's straight stems are the same way, just not a "T", so they also have the adapter/bushing.
You can get their valve stems here, but I don't know if you'll get them by Tuesday... https://my-fobo.com/accessories (click on "FOBO Bike 2" on your left on that page and the other valve stems show up there)

At the end of the day, it's just a rubber bushing or a "reducing bushing" that you might be able to find locally at Ace or somewhere for a quarter lol

Drawn by me, so its not to scale!

Last edited by Ssitruc; 08-21-2021 at 09:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ssitruc:
hallfleming (08-21-2021), polarisbob (10-04-2022)
Old 08-21-2021 | 10:03 AM
hallfleming
Cruiser

Thank you Ssitruc again for the clarification. Here's where I went wrong. Before I saw this thread a while back, I read this below. The comment in the post being if you have 2017 and later you need a 32700052 or 32700096. The gentleman in the thread made the comment that his wheel needed to be modified (2nd quote said a shop bored the hole) so I assumed the pre 2017's had smaller holes for the stem and the 2017+'s had larger holes for the 11.8 that matched the TPMS sensors. Again, my bad assumption. I'll plan on ordering the replacement FOBO stems you linked and tackle this at a later date. Appreciate your kindness and detailed reply.

Originally Posted by londo-cat
Like most of you who waited until HD finally made the 2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A) available for the older 2014 Street Glide - this was a much awaited product. As soon as it hit - I bought it as well as the Custom Face Gauges - Speedo / Tach Cluster - MPH (70900773A), and the TPMS system (42300124) for the 2020 motorcyles.

Now - for those that are asking if you can get the TPMS to work on the
2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A). Does it work? Short answer - Yes.

Longer Answer below:
YES - A retrofit is possible on all Rushmore Models.

For models 2017 and newer you only need 2x tire pressure sensors. (Part number with chrome valves: 32700052 with black valves: 32700096)
For models 2014-2016 you need also a new BCM (Part Number 41000341 or 41000341a,b,c,d,e)
You will also need new FOBs, The old ones are not compatible with the newer BCM or you buy a complete kit with 2 FOBs. (Click me)

Both the old Infotainment and the new 2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A) have TPMS screens. So you don't need to upgrade your infotainment just to see TPMS on the screen.
However - to get the TPMS low pressure warning light on your instrument cluster, you will need to upgrade the Speedo / Tach Cluster - MPH (70900773A).

Then - install the TMPS sensor into the front and rear tire. Assign pressure sensors to BCM using the TPMS ACTIVATION TOOL (HD-51794) *AND* the DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II (HD-48650).

Next up - how do you set the thresholds for low tire pressure? Well - that's a DIGITAL ASSISTANT *ONLY* setting.

NO - you can't change TPMS threshold settings via the GTS Infotainment. It *ONLY* shows front and back tire pressures and triggers the Low/High pressure light - that's *ALL*. Kind of retarded... You would think HD would put in a way to change this ON the GTS Infotainment system but they don't. This might be a future firmware update - but as of now (December 2019) this does not exist and is strictly a DA tool setting.

Lastly - once you have it all together. It all works pretty well. I have the new Infotainment, TPMS and Car Play on a 2014 Street Glide Special.

Was it worth spending $3000 for an GTS Infotainment/TPMS/BCM/Tach-Speedo upgrade?

IMHO - NO! Spending $3k on a tech upgrade just to get a faster infotainment and car play is not advisable, and the usability of TPMS isn't all that great considering you have to use the DA just to set thresholds.
So yeah, I get the bragging rights on having a new GTS infotainment & TPMS and upgraded Tach/speedo - but I get the dumb-*** award for blowing $3k on a stupid tech upgrade.

Bottom line - if you have $3k to blow on this upgrade - go ahead. You might like it. For me - I wanted to do a tech refresh without buying a whole new Harley just to get the new electronics. In my case - this upgrade worked for me.
Originally Posted by londo-cat
My HD Dealer mechanic told me all the stuff I needed to do prior to TPMS on the stock rims and sent me to a place that would bore the throat for the TPMS sensor. Now - if you want to spend even MORE money, you can get a MY20 rims and those are already modified for TPMS sensors - so no need to retrofit. "Model fitment information: MY20 and later OEM/Stock Touring wheels."

Last edited by hallfleming; 08-21-2021 at 10:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
polarisbob (10-04-2022)
Old 08-21-2021 | 11:21 AM
hallfleming
Cruiser

BTW, I called the dealer about part 42300118 which is the TPMS sensor that Ssitruc used. I was told that part was obsolete...

Old 08-21-2021 | 11:29 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Just to clear up some stuff in this post, and I realize this was originally written quite awhile ago, and the guys earlier in this thread that really figured all this out for the rest of us probable already spoke to this stuff, the following is just so if someone doesn't go back and read thru everything in this thread there's no misunderstandings... and if anyone notices I am incorrect about anything, please point it out so there's no misunderstandings lol FYI, I did not check part numbers referenced below, except the BCM part number.

Originally Posted by londo-cat View Post
Like most of you who waited until HD finally made the 2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A) available for the older 2014 Street Glide - this was a much awaited product. As soon as it hit - I bought it as well as the Custom Face Gauges - Speedo / Tach Cluster - MPH (70900773A), and the TPMS system (42300124) for the 2020 motorcyles.

Now - for those that are asking if you can get the TPMS to work on the
2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A). Does it work? Short answer - Yes.

Longer Answer below:
YES - A retrofit is possible on all Rushmore Models.

For models 2017 and newer you only need 2x tire pressure sensors. (Part number with chrome valves: 32700052 with black valves: 32700096) 2017 & 2018 this will get it to work on the GT6.5 or GTS, and if you want the stuff on the speedo & tach you'll new to get the new gauges too, plus figuring out if your wheels have 8.3mm or 11.4mm valve stem holes and dealing with that... then of course the programming.
For models 2014-2016 you needalso(in addition to what was said for 2017 and up) a new BCM (Part Number 41000341 or 41000341a,b,c,d,e) this is the key for 2014 thru 2016 models, the 41000341 BCM came out factory on the 2016 Road Glide Ultra CVO and it had TPMS... that 41000341 BCM (with revisions, its up to "F" now, so 41000341F) now is the replacement part for all (I think) touring bikes if you had to replace one... and from the factory, it was used in touring starting in 2017, I believe. (so they've all had the ability, it was just disabled in the BCM on non CVO models until 2020). Plus you have to deal with the wheel's valve stem hole size if yours has a 11.4mm hole.
You will also need new FOBs, The old ones are not compatible with the newer BCM or you buy a complete kit with 2 FOBs. (Click me) I did not replace my fobs, factory originals work fine. Programmer says you can have up to 2 "old" ones OR 2 "new" ones, you just can't MIX them (can't use 1 old & 1 new). I DID NOT replace my fobs, just the BCM on my 2016 RGU.

Both the old Infotainment (GT6.5) and the new 2020 infotainment GTS BOOM (76000829A) have TPMS screens ability (once its enabled under "Radio Customizations" by the dealer or someone) So you don't need to upgrade your infotainment just to see TPMS on the screen.
However - to get the TPMS low pressure warning light on your instrument cluster, you will need to upgrade the Speedo / Tach Cluster - MPH (70900773A). This is accurate for 2014 thru 2018 models. Some 2019 gauges require a firmware update to get TPMS to show up in the speedo's toggle screens. I can't remember if the 2019's had the "Low Tire" dummy light on the tach though.

Then - install the TMPS sensor into the front and rear tire. Assign pressure sensors to BCM using the TPMS ACTIVATION TOOL (HD-51794) *AND* the DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II (HD-48650). means having the dealer enable TPMS and assigning the sensors in the BCM, enabling TPMS in the gauge cluster (if you're doing that), and enabling TPMS in the radio, or having someone with Diag4Bike or some other software that can do it.

Next up - how do you set the thresholds for low tire pressure? Well - that's a DIGITAL ASSISTANT *ONLY* setting. Not aware of there being anyway of changing the thresholds, been told that is all "factory set", but have yet to hear or see anything different.
NO - you can't change TPMS threshold settings via the GTS Infotainment. It *ONLY* shows front and back tire pressures and triggers the Low/High pressure light - that's *ALL*. Kind of retarded... You would think HD would put in a way to change this ON the GTS Infotainment system but they don't. This might be a future firmware update - but as of now (December 2019) this does not exist and is strictly a DA tool setting. Not aware of there being anyway of changing the thresholds, been told that is all "factory set", but have yet to hear or see anything different.

Lastly - once you have it all together. It all works pretty well. I have the new Infotainment, TPMS and Car Play on a 2014 Street Glide Special.

Was it worth spending $3000 for an GTS Infotainment/TPMS/BCM/Tach-Speedo upgrade?
3K is counting installing the new GTS stereo too, otherwise valve stem/sensors are $150-200, BCM about $180, Speedo/Tach $350 or $550 if you change out the Fuel and Volt meters too.
So 2019 and up $150-$200 for the sensors (plus labor & programming).
2017 & 2018 $150-$200 just for sensors plus $350-$550 for gauges if you want that too, so $500-$750 with gauges (plus labor & programming).
2014 thru add another $180 for a BCM, so $380 or $750-950 with gauges too (plus labor & programming).
Still a bit pricey lol

IMHO - NO! Spending $3k on a tech upgrade just to get a faster infotainment and car play is not advisable, and the usability of TPMS isn't all that great considering you have to use the DA just to set thresholds.
So yeah, I get the bragging rights on having a new GTS infotainment & TPMS and upgraded Tach/speedo - but I get the dumb-*** award for blowing $3k on a stupid tech upgrade.

Bottom line - if you have $3k to blow on this upgrade - go ahead. You might like it. For me - I wanted to do a tech refresh without buying a whole new Harley just to get the new electronics. In my case - this upgrade worked for me.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 08-21-2021 at 11:43 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ssitruc:
jman1115 (06-03-2022), polarisbob (10-04-2022), smitty901 (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021 | 11:38 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

BTW, I called the dealer about part 42300118 which is the TPMS sensor that Ssitruc used. I was told that part was obsolete...
It was the only ones the dealer had in stock where I got them at lol I don't know what the date on the label means... I was hoping it was some indication they were "fresh", for the battery life...
Hope it wasn't a "best if used by" date

Old 08-21-2021 | 05:43 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Another part number is 42300124A, which is the same style I used only instead go $65 each, this is a set of 2 for $199.95 list, and HD .com shows them as "New Arrival"... but they are out of stock lol
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...em/p/42300124A

You can't make this stuff up lol

Last edited by Ssitruc; 08-21-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2021 | 11:04 PM
hallfleming
Cruiser

Great news. TPMS installed and showing on my GTS! I bought 2 32700096 TPMS sensors and gave them to the dealer tech along with the metal valve stems from FOBO. Again, my bike being a 2017 FLHTK. I explained to him that he could use the 8mm to 10mm adapter bushings for the TPMS sensors. He was familar with the FOBO's. According to him, local police departments run them along with the built in TPMS that are serviced at the dealer. Well, he called today and said he got the OEM sensors to mount and all looked good. I picked up the bike, road it home and noticed the metal valve stems from FOBO in my tour pak with the bushings still on those stems! No idea how what he did. I'll have to ask next time I'm in there. Headed on a trip for a few thousand miles which he knew about and made sure my bike was road worthy...

Ssitruc (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021 | 07:45 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Great news. TPMS installed and showing on my GTS! I bought 2 32700096 TPMS sensors and gave them to the dealer tech along with the metal valve stems from FOBO. Again, my bike being a 2017 FLHTK. I explained to him that he could use the 8mm to 10mm adapter bushings for the TPMS sensors. He was familar with the FOBO's. According to him, local police departments run them along with the built in TPMS that are serviced at the dealer. Well, he called today and said he got the OEM sensors to mount and all looked good. I picked up the bike, road it home and noticed the metal valve stems from FOBO in my tour pak with the bushings still on those stems! No idea how what he did. I'll have to ask next time I'm in there. Headed on a trip for a few thousand miles which he knew about and made sure my bike was road worthy...
I’d be interested too, share if you find out….

firebat (09-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2022 | 09:38 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Well, I had my bike st the dealership this morning for a few checks on things. Decided to mention this upgrade and see if the dealer would do the BCM work needed, as ai already have the parts. So service writer says, "let me check with the tech, since there are SOME things we are not allowed to do", and guess what. He came back and said "sorry, that's something we cannot do, upgrading the bike with later model electronics". Now I didn't ask but it MIGHT be one of CA's asinine EPA rules. You know it might make it PRODUCE MORE SMOG.

We are leaving soon for a extended rv trip, but when I get back, I will ask the one local indy shop.

Besides turning the tpms stuff on, what else needs to be done to the new BCM to make it work on my bike?

Old 02-04-2022 | 12:17 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

If your BCM went bad today, and had to be replaced, the current replacement BCM part number for your bike is 41000341F... it is the proper "electronics" for your bike. It's not EPA, its the dealer's unfamiliarity with it, or wanting to avoid possible issues... or because if you use your stock rims, having to use the "bushing" with the valve stems / sensors and they don't want to do that.

That BCM is capable of TPMS, if you have the sensors in the tires. I believe you will see the tire pressure screen only on the stereo on your bike (under the "Info" > "More"), after they enable that stuff in the BCM, while installing the new BCM.

Your gauges, on a 14 Ultra Classic Electraglide, you won't have the "Dummy Light" on the tach (its physically is not on the tach), and I don't think, on your gauges, you'll be able to get the pressures on the LED screen at the bottom of the speedometer (using the "trigger" button), but honestly I can't remember for sure about the speedometer.

Your Indy will have to enable the TPMS in the BCM, and pair the sensors, enable TPMS under the radio (so you get that screen), and under the gauges he would enable TPMS there, to get any possible gauge display... depends on what software he's using as to what screens/tab exactly its on in his software...But basically, enable TPMS in BCM, Pair Sensors, Enable TPMS under the stereo customizations, and gauges (all setting within the software).

Find out what software your Indy is using, and if its Diag4Bike or TechnoResearch's Centurion Super Pro, I'll see if I can find the exact screens in those. He may already have done it and knows right where its at.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 02-04-2022 at 12:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ssitruc:
polarisbob (10-04-2022), smitty901 (02-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Tpms