Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tpms

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021 | 11:19 PM
Van_HDRider
Cruiser

Hi guys,
Thank you all for the useful posts. I also bought the TPMS kit. I have a 2017 FLHTK. Do I also need to change the BCM on my bike for these to work?

TIA.

The following users liked this post:
polarisbob (10-04-2022)
Old 07-16-2021 | 09:16 AM
DaveHeu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Van_HDRider
Hi guys,
Thank you all for the useful posts. I also bought the TPMS kit. I have a 2017 FLHTK. Do I also need to change the BCM on my bike for these to work?

TIA.
You shouldn’t have too

The following 2 users liked this post by DaveHeu:
polarisbob (10-04-2022), Van_HDRider (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021 | 02:57 PM
danielyuhn
6th Gear

I have added Harley TPMS sensor Part Number 42300124 to my '15 FLHTK stock rims with the FOBO beveled seal only.

I have acquired a BCM part number 41000341a from a 2017 model.
Indy shop installing this is having trouble marrying the new BCM to the bike. I'll follow up with what happens next.

The following 2 users liked this post by danielyuhn:
Van_HDRider (07-16-2021), vhmike73 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-31-2021 | 04:39 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Ok got my ***** Shiny wheels and stuff on the bike, a 16 RGU. Had them on the bike for a week before proceeding, to get parts in and to test the valve stems for leaks... and there was none, pressure was the same every morning when everything had cooled to 84 overnight lol These are Factory Impeller Rims, just chromed, with the 11.4mm hole. It is not an issue when using the bottom half of the bushing from a multi fit valve stem (Fobo stems for instance) with the HD valve stems and sensors, as talked about earlier in this thread.

Got the BCM in late this morning and went by the dealer who said they'd help with the install... and it was a breeze. I used the 41000341F BCM ($180.00) and it had another feature available other than just the TPMS, like keyless ignition. The BCM installed and programmed without any problems, including using my original factory FOBs.

Once TPMS was enabled in the BCM, assigned the sensors manually, and then enable TPMS in the Radio's settings (under Radio Customizations) and all was good. Note: at first it was just showing -- instead of a pressure reading, once we were done with everything and rode it about a 100 yards or so, it populated the fields. (Pics are after riding an hour in this beautiful 98 degree humid afternoon, so pressures are up)

So, on a 2016 RGU, 2 valve stems with TPMS sensors (HD #42300118 $65 each) and a new BCM HD #41000341F $180) and those rubber bushings (50cents?). My dealer was actually really helpful and knowledgeable about doing this and the programming... they did it like it was no big deal and already knew it would work.

Now I went ahead and changed out my gauge cluster too lol, but I didn't have to, unless I wanted the other "features" to work. Like the "Dummy Light" on the tach and the tire pressure reading on the LED screen on the speedo (because my factory gauges didn't have/couldn't do this stuff). So I added the gauges from the P&A catalog (CVO style one). Then Enabled TPMS in the gauges (I think under "Gauge Customization"). Now I can toggle thru the menu (using the "trigger" button and see the pressures there too, and a dummy light will come on if my pressures are low.

ALL of this has been explained in this thread somewhere, so this is just to reiterate that it can be done, no matter what your dealer may tell you, and it is not hard to do... although a bit pricey... For most, its just a matter of getting the valve stems installed, using the bushing if you have wheels with the 11.4mm hole, and then getting a dealer to enable it. But I can tell you for a fact, it works and is solid as can be.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 07-31-2021 at 04:51 PM.
lp (08-01-2021)
Old 08-11-2021 | 08:00 PM
Hession
Advanced

Great info in this post - for someone who just came across this - appreciate all the contributors.. One thing I am not clear on - is the activation of the sensors (out of the box, sleep mode or whatever) .

Is it only the dealer that can do this, or can diag4bike, etc?

I spoke to an indy who can do the sensor install and has a dig tech... but unsure how the activation (out of the box, sleep mode or whatever) of the sensors works?

Thanks,

Dave

hallfleming (08-21-2021)
Old 08-12-2021 | 08:44 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

If whatever you're using has the ability to enable TPMS in the BCM, Radio, and Gauges then you'll be able to get the sensors going too. Diag4Bike and TechnoResearch both have screens for adding/replacing the sensors.
I would suggest taking pictures of the sensors and knowing which sensor is in which wheel beforehand. There's ID number next to the QR code that you can type in the program, or if it is the dealer, they will have a scan tool that works with their software for pairing the sensors. The scan tool didn't work for some reason doing mine, so we just manually entered the sensor's codes.
Also, both of my sensor's ID numbers begin with RD4E xxxxx then the 5 digits after it, I don't know what of those letters/numbers you're actually suppose to enter (the whole thing or just the 5 after the RD4E), but on mine neither front or back would take the "R" as it was typed in, but he typed the rest in and it took it and paired just fine.

What screens/displays you'll get will depends on what year model bike you have (because of the gauge clusters). The following also assumes the BCM has been updated on 2014 thru 2016 model bikes too, I used BCM HD #41000341F (its the latest replacement BCM and i did NOT have to replace my fobs, the original fobs work fine), and of course you've got the sensor installed in the wheels.

FOR NON CVO MODELS...2014-18 (2014-2016 after replacing the BCM) with the GT or GTS head unit is probably just going to get the screens on the radio because the gauges don't have the TPMS stuff in them (you can replace the gauges). Most will be fine with just having it on the radio.
2019 and up will have the radio displays and if you enable TPMS in the gauges, the pressures show up in the speedo menu (by toggling thru the screens using the trigger button). Some 2019s may need a firmware update done to their speedo to get this working. If your gauges has the "Low Tire Pressure" dummy light on the tach, it will work when you enable the TPMS stuff.

On Diag4Bike it's all in "Toolbox".
To enable TPMS go to "BCM Customization" then "TPMS Configuration" be sure its enable and tire sizes are correct (turns on TPMS in BCM).
Then in "Toolbox" pick "TPMS Manual TPMS Sensor Assignment" and enter the sensor's ID numbers (Tells the system the sensors IDs).
Then again in "Toolbox" choose "Instrument TPMS Option" and enable it (gets the pressures and dummy light working if your gauges will do it).
Finally, under "Toolbox" choose "Radio Customization" then "TPMS enabled/disable" and enable it (puts that tire pressure screen on the radio).

Once everything is programmed, you may have to go around the block for a value to register on the screens. On my stereo and the speedo it just had dashes instead of a value (40psi) until we drove around the shop once, since then it shows the psi.

This is a summation of the information in this thread and my experience adding this to my bike... if anyone sees anything inaccurate, please speak up!

Last edited by Ssitruc; 08-12-2021 at 09:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ssitruc:
hallfleming (08-21-2021), hamah (04-02-2022), jman1115 (06-03-2022)
Old 08-12-2021 | 10:33 AM
Hession
Advanced

Very cool Ssitruc - thank you... was a bit worried about them not having the handheld activator, but sounds like they can do it all with the Dig tech.

It will be on a 18 RGS/Turbine wheels, with upgraded GTS and upgraded CVO gauges - everything I'd read so far seems like I am all set.

I had a front tire go flat while doing 80mph down the interstate (cut valve stem) so it got me to looking for a better solution.

Old 08-12-2021 | 10:47 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Many aftermarket tools will allow you to reg the TPMS . I know for sure the Centurion will

Old 08-12-2021 | 11:55 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
Many aftermarket tools will allow you to reg the TPMS . I know for sure the Centurion will
Yes it does, Centurion is by TechnoResearch. I have Diag4Bike, little brother has Centurion Super Pro (per bike). Digital Tech is what Harley's dealers use.
Those are the only 3 that you can enable and disable all the needed settings, that I know of, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Old 08-20-2021 | 11:00 PM
hallfleming
Cruiser

Thank you Ssitruc for all the details of your experience and upgrades. I dropped my bike off today. Here's what I got going:
  • 2017 FLHTK with stock Impellers Rims just like Ssitruc. That should be 11.4mm hole.
  • The dealer only had one 32700096 TPMS sensor and the 32700052 is backed ordered. They are overnighting another 32700096 for Tuesday arrival. (I'm leaving on a 2k trip next Friday)
  • I have the GTS radio and plan to upgrade to 2019 + gauges for the idiot light and the selectable TPMS in the speedo screen later on after my trip.
Questions:
  • Where did you get the FOBO bushings in the event the 32700096 is 8mm like the 42300118 TPMS sensor? From what I can see online, the 42300118 (that are confirmed 8mm) sensors are backordered so that's why i went with the older style.
  • Kind of a repeat of the question above but are we certain the 32700096's are 11.4mm? I guess I could have the dealer measure the one they have?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hallfleming; 08-20-2021 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Tpms