Sponsored by:

Boom audio question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:42 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Boom audio question

I have never had a headset on my 17 RG. I see that there is a simple plug in for adding a plug in for a headset. Is anyone running with JUST a mic to be able to use the call features with the boom audio. I really do not want anything but the mic. I can hear through the bikes speakers.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 AM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
I have never had a headset on my 17 RG. I see that there is a simple plug in for adding a plug in for a headset. Is anyone running with JUST a mic to be able to use the call features with the boom audio. I really do not want anything but the mic. I can hear through the bikes speakers.
I’d be interested in this also

Old 12-28-2018, 02:38 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

Get a trucker mic and try it and see if it works. Then you can let everyone know.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:15 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

The speakers and microphones are connected. In the set up screen you can select headset or speakers. So your question is if you select speakers will the microphone still work? .
What is your plan for the speakers that are connected to the microphone?

Old 12-28-2018, 10:30 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

The H-D hand mic is compatible with the 6.5GT radio, BUT. The hand mic will work if you use both hands. One hand needed to hold & depress the PTT button on the mic. A second hand is needed to depress the PTT button on the handlebar. Doing both together at the same time, the mic works.

Here's why: The handlebar switches are all CANbus (digital addressing) which is how the 6.5GT receives its' inputs. The headset jack is NOT WIRED for the PTT function. The mic itself uses a multi-contact switch to switch between transmit & receive functions using old hardwire contacts. That's needed to complete the mic audio signal path (this can be modded to avoid the need to depress the mic's PTT switch). Then the handlebar PTT switch sends the digital signal (via the switchpack module it's mounted in) to the radio via CANbus to accept/use the audio from the mic.

This is something I discovered on the day I purchased my '14 Limited (tried to retain/use my hand mic from my '07 Ultra). And, I only tried to use it with the CB, not with the Voice Command. So, if the need is only to use the Voice Command function, modding the mic to keep its' PTT switch depressed may work well if you can depress the voice feature, then pick up the mic during the audio prompt & speak your audio command. And, in theory, the handlebar PTT doesn't need to be added for bikes that didn't have that switch as oem.

Last edited by Hammz; 12-28-2018 at 10:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dcfatboy (12-29-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 10:55 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazador
The speakers and microphones are connected. In the set up screen you can select headset or speakers. So your question is if you select speakers will the microphone still work? .
What is your plan for the speakers that are connected to the microphone?
Actually here's a bit of clarification - While I have the '17 6.5GT, I've been doing work in the background to test stuff out. What I've found on my system is that if you have the 7-pin DiN plug, you can use a full wired headset w/microphone. If you do, you can select speakers or headset for audio out and the headset microphone is still active in each case. You can also just attach a microphone by itself to the 7-pin DIN plug and pump the audio through the bike speakers - the microphone will remain active. I'm pretty sure this will work with the GTS system too, but as to whether it will enable CarPlay is another story i'm working on.

Here's the Mic interface I built for the 7-pin DIN connector. DIN to F3.5mm, and M3.5mm to Microphone. I also created a "Dummy" 7-pin DIN that I hope will fake CarPlay into thinking there's a Mic attached. I have yet to get to my Dealer to be able to play with these toys.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:10 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

My 3 issues with the Boom system on my 17.
1. The speakers sound shitty. You can buy good sounding speakers for next to nothing. For what a headset costs you would think the quality would be better.
2. Which should be number 1. The cables and having to plug into the bike.
3. The VOX system sucks. Pass a truck and it activates. Go over 65 mph and you have to set the sensitivity to a point that it won't activate when you talk.

Another $1000 for the SENA system??? And have similar problems.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:31 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

I use this and it does exactly what your looking to do.
Works on my '17 CVO and my buddies '14 Ultra,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-FREEDOM...76N:rk:27:pf:0

Old 12-29-2018, 09:27 AM
dcfatboy
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
I use this and it does exactly what your looking to do.
Works on my '17 CVO and my buddies '14 Ultra,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-FREEDOM...76N:rk:27:pf:0
It appears one needs PTT for this device to work.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:49 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

I think I found exactly what I am looking for. probably gonna end up with a 200+ buck bill in the end. I am getting the standard HD plug in kit with this headset.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...MGTA&gclsrc=ds

I looked at the blue tooth wireless set up and honestly I just don't see the value in that. 300 bucks for the adaptor and another couple of hundred for the headset? I mean I enjoy blue tooth, but honestly double the price of a wired connection? naw I seriously do not see the value in that at all.

Quick Reply: Boom audio question