Sponsored by:

Boom audio question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:52 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
I use this and it does exactly what your looking to do.
Works on my '17 CVO and my buddies '14 Ultra,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-FREEDOM...76N:rk:27:pf:0
this is exactly what I am looking for. do you just have it attached to the bike?

Old 12-29-2018, 10:41 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazador
My 3 issues with the Boom system on my 17.
1. The speakers sound shitty. You can buy good sounding speakers for next to nothing. For what a headset costs you would think the quality would be better.
It depends on the Manufacturer. In my experience, Cardo's headset speakers are far better than Sena's or Sena's Harley-branded ones.

2. Which should be number 1. The cables and having to plug into the bike.
You can always go with the WHiM or Freewire.

3. The VOX system sucks. Pass a truck and it activates. Go over 65 mph and you have to set the sensitivity to a point that it won't activate when you talk.
I've never seen that problem, and I have both the Sena & Cardo wireless headsets, and the IMC wired headset.

Another $1000 for the SENA system??? And have similar problems.
If you want to go wireless, you're looking at $500-$650 - nowhere near $1K, but there's a curvy road you have to navigate. I've done it, and i've documented my experiences so you don't have to.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:48 AM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by jclax01
I looked at the blue tooth wireless set up and honestly I just don't see the value in that. 300 bucks for the adaptor and another couple of hundred for the headset? I mean I enjoy blue tooth, but honestly double the price of a wired connection? naw I seriously do not see the value in that at all.
It's called "wireless" for a reason. I originally bought the harness to add the 7-pin DIN plug to my '17SGS, and bought an IMC wired headset. It actually worked great - clear audio, voice commands worked great, but plugging in the cord all the time - meh! So I went wireless.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:53 AM
FurryOne
Road Master

this is exactly what I am looking for. do you just have it attached to the bike?
I'd be interested to hear how this works at speed, since most mics require your face to be about an inch or so from the mic when speaking. I recently made my own version of that mic for about $5 for testing purposes, and find it hard to believe that mic will work well when it's over a foot away from your mouth. (But hey, I've been wrong before...)

Old 12-29-2018, 11:56 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
I'd be interested to hear how this works at speed, since most mics require your face to be about an inch or so from the mic when speaking. I recently made my own version of that mic for about $5 for testing purposes, and find it hard to believe that mic will work well when it's over a foot away from your mouth. (But hey, I've been wrong before...)
You can get a 3.5 mm extension and clip it on you to solve that issue. that's what I plan to do with mine if I go that route. the mic would be tied right on my shirt right under my mouth.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:37 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

You can get a 3.5 mm extension and clip it on you to solve that issue. that's what I plan to do with mine if I go that route. the mic would be tied right on my shirt right under my mouth.
Good luck! That might work fine in a studio, but there's a lot of ambient noise outside in the real world. I've used 2 wired, and 2 wireless headsets, and every one of them required the mic to be close to your mouth - even moving it eye level or down to the chin resulted in poor performance. Of course, YMMV. Like I've said - let us know how it works for you.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:54 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
It depends on the Manufacturer. In my experience, Cardo's headset speakers are far better than Sena's or Sena's Harley-branded ones.

That's not comforting. I have the factory headsets so if the sound from the SENA is not any better I should not waste the money.

You can always go with the WHiM or Freewire.

I've never seen that problem, and I have both the Sena & Cardo wireless headsets, and the IMC wired headset.

I think that the 3/4 helmet my wife wears is getting air under her visor causing the activation from wind noise.

If you want to go wireless, you're looking at $500-$650 - nowhere near $1K, but there's a curvy road you have to navigate. I've done it, and i've documented my experiences so you don't have to.
I was thinking $500 for the HD SENA then a couple hundred for the module and then the dealer cost for the flash of the system.
Post a link to your solution and I will read up on it.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:42 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

I think I found exactly what I am looking for. probably gonna end up with a 200+ buck bill in the end. I am getting the standard HD plug in kit with this headset.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...MGTA&gclsrc=ds
This will be a good choice. That headset has very good speakers; when I use that headset, I pump the audio to it instead of the bike speakers because they work that well. Works with half helmet or no helmet, has a cord clip that relieves wire strain to the headset. I own two. Works better than oem helmet headset.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:53 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
The H-D hand mic is compatible with the 6.5GT radio, BUT. The hand mic will work if you use both hands. One hand needed to hold & depress the PTT button on the mic. A second hand is needed to depress the PTT button on the handlebar. Doing both together at the same time, the mic works.

Here's why: The handlebar switches are all CANbus (digital addressing) which is how the 6.5GT receives its' inputs. The headset jack is NOT WIRED for the PTT function. The mic itself uses a multi-contact switch to switch between transmit & receive functions using old hardwire contacts. That's needed to complete the mic audio signal path (this can be modded to avoid the need to depress the mic's PTT switch). Then the handlebar PTT switch sends the digital signal (via the switchpack module it's mounted in) to the radio via CANbus to accept/use the audio from the mic.

This is something I discovered on the day I purchased my '14 Limited (tried to retain/use my hand mic from my '07 Ultra). And, I only tried to use it with the CB, not with the Voice Command. So, if the need is only to use the Voice Command function, modding the mic to keep its' PTT switch depressed may work well if you can depress the voice feature, then pick up the mic during the audio prompt & speak your audio command. And, in theory, the handlebar PTT doesn't need to be added for bikes that didn't have that switch as oem.
I have a 14 Limited and I use the HD Handheld Mic. As Hammz stated, to use the HD handheld mic for the CB it requires that the switch on the side of the mic be depressed along with the PTT switch on the handlebar controls. Thus it takes 2 hands to use this mic for the CB... not user friendly. The handheld mic is useful for voice commands (both navigation & phone commands) and only requires the you press the switch on the side of the mic when speaking. It also works for answering incoming phone calls, again by pressing the mic switch to talk. I believe it will also work the same way with the intercom however I have never used it that way. I don't have any idea if it will work with the new GTS radio or if you will be able to get the "car play" (don't know if that's the right word) to work. I did suggest trying it on the GTS system but I know that the mic is not used by many people so they aren't around to try.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:50 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

Yes, Its just plugged in and stays there.. I will share at higher speeds if using for a phone call the other person may have difficulty hearing you clearly. I don't use it to cruise down the road talking on the phone, that takes away the enjoyment of riding a bike. It does however give me a piece of mind if an emergency call comes, I can answer it and pull off the road to talk. Yes it also works for the voice commands for Nav and such

Quick Reply: Boom audio question