Sponsored by:

2018 Fat Bob + D&D Fat Cat Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 01:27 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We have the D&D Fatcat 2/1 on our shop 2018 Fatboy S. Really nice pipe, no issues with scraping.
When you say no issues with scraping, does that mean you guys are able to scrape the foot peg before the pipe ever touches down or have you guys not leaned it over that far yet? Just curious because in the pictures the headers look like they sit almost as low as my current headers and I scrape them before my foot peg scrapes and don't like it one bit.

I have seen pictures of the Fat Cat and Bob Cat on a 2018+ Fat Bob with headers that are routed differently. This difference results in better clearance. Does anyone know where I can find this D&D header instead? Part number or link?

Here is the Fat Cat with the slightly differently routed headers with better clearance.

Here is the Bob Cat with the same headers.

And here are both with the only headers I can find for the 2018 Fat Bob.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:42 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

No issues here

&

The following users liked this post:
JatoTheRipper (02-20-2022)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:11 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

I like the one with the muffler angle up.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:56 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nick@nite
No issues here

&

Yes I would suspect you would not have any issues because you have the D&D headers that sit higher and that I was trying to find. Same headers pictured below. They are routed a bit differently and sit higher than the only ones I was able to find. Do you by chance have a link to your exact pipe?

I wanted those headers on the D&D Fat Cat but couldn't find them anywhere. I was only able to find the Fat Cat and Bob Cat with the headers shown in the next pictures below which hang much lower than yours as you can see in the pictures if you compare the routing of the headers.

The headers in the next two pics drop all the way down to the bottom frame tube or slightly below it like on my current pipe. Your headers and the ones in the pics I posted above sit above the bottom frame tube like the stock pipes do and look much less likely to scrape while leaning it over. Check it out.

Because of this and not being able to find the other, higher sitting headers I am shying away from an otherwise awesome performing pipe. I emailed D&D but they don't respond. I guess I need to call to find out.

Now I've decided to go with a S&S Super Street 2 into 1 after seeing it in the 2018+ Softail Forum.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...8-exhaust.html

It sits nice and high and looks bad ***! From the sound clips it sounds pretty nice as well. I hope it performs well. I'll find soon enough.

Originally Posted by SomeOld Biker
I like the one with the muffler angle up.
The muffler is not an issue with the differently routed and higher sitting D&D headers. I'm more concerned about scraping the front header since it sits so low. I already scrape the front header on my current pipe and hate it. My pipe has an upsweep and is supposed to help with clearance issues but the muffler is not the part that scrapes.

Used to be able scrape my foot peg and it would lift up considerably without any other parts making contact with the pavement before this pipe. It scrapes on the bend going into the upsweep due to how low it hangs. The only D&D pipes I am finding all have the lower routed headers which will be an issue for sure if I'm already scraping my current headers.

Here's a picture of the scrape. It's much bigger now.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 01-26-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:58 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I’ve seen the S&S new 2-1 looks nice has 2 options with sound reducers and not. But I personally don’t like the line of the pipe and looks pieced together to me. My DD is so freakn loud given I did bump up to 124 kit. I want my Thunderheader back and hopefully the will make one soon. I ddon’t my have a link it was bought straight from DD.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:46 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nick@nite
I’ve seen the S&S new 2-1 looks nice has 2 options with sound reducers and not. But I personally don’t like the line of the pipe and looks pieced together to me. My DD is so freakn loud given I did bump up to 124 kit. I want my Thunderheader back and hopefully the will make one soon. I ddon’t my have a link it was bought straight from DD.
Do you by chance have the part number from the pipe or the box? Before I order the S&S maybe I'll give them a call and see what they say about the different headers pictured for the Fat Bob. Thanks for the information.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 01-27-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:24 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,009 Likes on 714 Posts

Many of the 2 into 1 offerings look very neat. The real power is made at the merge of the two head pipes , the angle they join at is very important.
Peace

Old 01-13-2020, 05:34 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

I know this is old, but I've got relevant info. I called D&D tonight challenging them about the different head pipe angles. I showed the guy the video on YouTube with the fat bob that has the same header angles as Nick's. He said that's not our M8 softail pipe. Can't be. Must be the twin cam pipe and somehow customized. I gave up frustrated. However about 20 min later he called me back. Told me he went and looked at one in the box they were about to ship and it did have the angled headers. He then spoke to the designers and found that the photos of the low, straight pipes on their site are all incorrect and every m8 softail fat cat has the angled header like Nicks.

Now I'm considering one. I really want to hear one first though. My dealer has one going on a street glide tomorrow so I'm going to take a ride down and have a listen. And maybe I'll have one ordered soon after. What's another grand... I'll never retire, lol.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mchad:
coopmonte (01-13-2020), Dan D. (01-13-2020), yobtaf103 (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 01:48 PM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 283 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I know this is old, but I've got relevant info. I called D&D tonight challenging them about the different head pipe angles. I showed the guy the video on YouTube with the fat bob that has the same header angles as Nick's. He said that's not our M8 softail pipe. Can't be. Must be the twin cam pipe and somehow customized. I gave up frustrated. However about 20 min later he called me back. Told me he went and looked at one in the box they were about to ship and it did have the angled headers. He then spoke to the designers and found that the photos of the low, straight pipes on their site are all incorrect and every m8 softail fat cat has the angled header like Nicks.

Now I'm considering one. I really want to hear one first though. My dealer has one going on a street glide tomorrow so I'm going to take a ride down and have a listen. And maybe I'll have one ordered soon after. What's another grand... I'll never retire, lol.
Thank great info, mine still in box never opened yet, will have to check it out!