Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock tires on M8 Touring - what do you think of them in wet conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 04:33 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Stock Dunlops on my 2017 RGU have served me well, no complaints on wet or dry roads. As others said I adjust my riding on wet roads and don't push as hard as I do when the road is dry

Old 02-03-2019, 05:14 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

The stock tires, IMO, are OK as many riders rate tires by how long they last before they wear out. I do not think they are so good on the wet roads. many riders do not have a point of comparison; they ride stock tires, replace with stock tires and that's all they know.

I am willing to sacrifice wear for traction, handling and ride. For my Road King, I switched to Avons and am very happy. Other tires are also an improvement over the stock tires for the criteria that is important to me; some are mentioned int his thread.

Last edited by Jehu; 02-03-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:30 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,371 Likes on 4,780 Posts

I switched to Dunlop American Elites several years ago and have had no reasons to not want to stick with them..the OEMs were ok, no real complaints but prefer the AEs. Don't ride much in wet weather unless it's unavoidable, at which point my whole strategy to riding changes dramatically as visibility becomes challenged. Just slow down and get where i'm going,

Old 02-03-2019, 10:06 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I've used ONLY Dunlop AE on my two late model HD tourers. I like 'em. They last me 20k miles riding two-up, in heat and cold, wet and dry. I will say I had one slippage moment at speed on my 2016 FLHTCU with the AE tires. I had been riding in rain for several hours the day before, in central TX. Slept the night, and next morning it was still raining. I waited a couple hours for the rain to let up, and when it did I left out of Brownwood, TX. The rain went away, but left a little wet on a smooth highway surface that was well worn. I needed to pass a car, dropped into 5th, gave it the throttle, and instantly the rear tire lost traction and the rear sashayed. My butt clenched, my knuckles got while, and for a long moment of side-to-side wiggle my life passed before me. I was able to bring it back under control, and survived. Because of this I take care in wet conditions how much throttle I give it. This type thing is why I don't understand HD not giving these bikes active electronic traction control.

It is worth noting that these Dunlop AE are fairly easy to install. I do my own tires on a No-Mar stand. Though the tires are huge and heavy, they are surprisingly easy to spoon on with hand tools. Could be the stock HD wheels with their nice deep drop zone help out here. But I've installed three sets of these tires now, and all three came off and new went on with minimal fuss. I can't say the same about some other brand tires on other bike wheels.

Last edited by KrustyKush; 02-03-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:11 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
I've used ONLY Dunlop AE on my two late model HD tourers. I like 'em. They last me 20k miles riding two-up, in heat and cold, wet and dry. I will say I had one slippage moment at speed on my 2016 FLHTCU with the AE tires. I had been riding in rain for several hours the day before, in central TX. Slept the night, and next morning it was still raining. I waited a couple hours for the rain to let up, and when it did I left out of Brownwood, TX. The rain went away, but left a little wet on a smooth highway surface that was well worn. I needed to pass a car, dropped into 5th, gave it the throttle, and instantly the rear tire lost traction and the rear sashayed. My butt clenched, my knuckles got while, and for a long moment of side-to-side wiggle my life passed before me. I was able to bring it back under control, and survived. Because of this I take care in wet conditions how much throttle I give it. This type thing is why I don't understand HD not giving these bikes active electronic traction control.
No need for active electronic traction control device, The bike already has it right between your ears. As noted in bold above.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:24 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,371 Likes on 4,780 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
No need for active electronic traction control device, The bike already has it right between your ears. As noted in bold above.
while I largely agree, the same could be said about ABS, traction control and safety sense packages in cars, etc. ..nothing wrong with having proven reliable electronics to assist for those critical few times where us humans have mental lapses...I think BMW motorcycles have several different available settings for certain conditions so I don't think saying there is no need for traction control has merit if it can help prevent accidents...all that being said nothing should ever be a replacement for "The bike already has it right between your ears."

Old 02-03-2019, 10:28 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I can't argue your logic. However, I've had a few other bikes (Japanese) with electronic traction control. It is seamless. You don't know it is there until it is needed, and it WILL save your life when you make a mistake (and you will). Also, if for some reason you don't want it, like say you're gonna do some burn outs or other odd thing, you can turn it off.

I put ETC into the same category as side stand (jiffy stand) safety switch, which is another thing I don't understand why it isn't present on domestic U.S. bikes, but is present on exported models. These safety devices are not expensive. Like cruise control, ETC is just ECU programming. They could add it without much cost. My 2018 RGU already is wired for the jiffy safety switch. The connector is tied up under the water pump. This is the first bike I've had in over 25 years that didn't come with a side stand safety kill device. Friend of mine crashed horribly one night on way to work by leaving his side stand down on an older Goldwing. It happens.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:25 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

No arguing from me that safety equip can save your bacon. Part of me is still stuck in the 60's when I took the signals, Horn and reflectors off my bikes. Several years ago when I built by 36 LaSalle and went for the 1st ride and felt really odd without seatbelts. Quickly installed them and now days wear a helmet in non helmet states. So, I am slowly coming around but Im holding out.

Last edited by sixguns; 02-03-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:34 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

No arguing from me that safety equip can save your bacon. Part of me is still stuck in the 60's when I took the signals, Horn and reflectors off my bikes. Several years ago when I built by 36 LaSalle and went for the 1st ride and felt really odd without seatbelts. Quickly installed them and now days wear a helmet in non helmet states. So, I am slowly coming around but Im holding out.
Yeah, I have started wearing a helmet even in AZ. where it is not required. A bicycle wreck a couple years ago convinced me of this. I went down hard enough that it broke the bicycle helmet I was wearing. I don't know if I would still be here if I hadn't been wearing it.

I am really looking at the Bridgestone Battlecruise H50 tires the next go around. I would really like some feedback on them if anyone has tried them. If not, I guess I will be the first!

As far as traction control, I'm all for it. I am somewhat concerned that when I build this M8 to 117", maintaining traction will be a problem on wet roads.

Last edited by $tonecold; 02-03-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:33 PM
QAfred
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I find the Dunlop's scary on wet roads here in Florida (on my 18 FLHTK) where the roads take on a white slime when it rains lightly ( I think it is from all the coral/shells in the base asphalt material).

My Metzler ME880s on my 1999, BMW R1200C, handle the wet roads a thousand percent better, enough that one of my Harley riding buds switched to Metzler's on his police bike when he saw me taking corners on my Beemer. He loves the Metzler's compared to the Dunlop's.

Quick Reply: Stock tires on M8 Touring - what do you think of them in wet conditions?