Sponsored by:

Slave cylinder replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 04:08 PM
JohnTz
Cruiser
Received 129 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Slave cylinder replacement

Can someone who has done this job please comment if the exhaust needs to be removed? Specifically can the transmission outside cover be removed without removing the exhaust? Stone? Steve? Your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:21 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,801 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnTz
Can someone who has done this job please comment if the exhaust needs to be removed? Specifically can the transmission outside cover be removed without removing the exhaust? Stone? Steve? Your experience would be greatly appreciated.
You will have to take the exhaust mounts (right side motor and back of transmission) loose and loosen the flange nuts at the ports, then you should be able to pull it out enough to get the cover off. If not, take the muffler to saddlebag frame bolts out on the left side. That will give you a little more play.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:24 PM
JohnTz
Cruiser

Thanks Stone. What a pain in the ***. Lots of work to do to just get to the bleeder nipple.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:49 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks Stone. What a pain in the ***. Lots of work to do to just get to the bleeder nipple.
Us men go to great pains to get to the nipple!!! Cheers!

Old 10-31-2018, 07:15 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 430 Likes on 288 Posts

Yes the exhaust only has to be loosened so it will move out enough to pull the cover off

Old 11-01-2018, 12:53 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Need aftermarket cover with a little trap door that would allow access. OR re-engineered totally look at all the recalls for various reasons from 14 until now.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 AM
JohnTz
Cruiser

I guess I will do this only once. Will run it without the cover or modify the cover so it comes off without loosening the exhaust. Too much work to simply get to the bleeder screw. I will install an AIM slave as well since I am on the recall list. May as well put a nicer slave in it while I'm at it. Waiting to see what some people say after getting the replacement if it makes a difference in clutch pull and where the friction zone is.

Thanks guys for your responses.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 415 Likes on 297 Posts

I guess I will do this only once. Will run it without the cover or modify the cover so it comes off without loosening the exhaust. Too much work to simply get to the bleeder screw. I will install an AIM slave as well since I am on the recall list. May as well put a nicer slave in it while I'm at it. Waiting to see what some people say after getting the replacement if it makes a difference in clutch pull and where the friction zone is.

Thanks guys for your responses.
same boat....nothing wrong with mine but the AIM looks better quality. And one screw up at the dealer it's not worth the free warranty BS. Rather pay one time ..do it myself and be done. Was going to put a lift hand thread on clutch push Rod to see if my tiny amount of transfer stops( 2-3 oz in 5k) So it's coming apart anyway.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:55 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,511 Likes on 3,607 Posts

You could always notch the cover and install a steel line to extend the bleeder port to external. I wouldn't do it, but it's an idea.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:46 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 415 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
You could always notch the cover and install a steel line to extend the bleeder port to external. I wouldn't do it, but it's an idea.
Good idea. We do it on race cars all the time with hydraulic throw out bearings.....run the line out the bottom of blow shield ...

Quick Reply: Slave cylinder replacement