Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slave cylinder replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 07:17 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 984 Likes on 551 Posts

Anyone considering NOT having their 'slave cylinder' recall done until they start
having trouble or losing fluid?
After 10,000 miles, I don't have a 'low' fluid level in the reservoir.
I managed to get a new clutch actuator before the recall started.

May ride mine until I need it................

Old 11-02-2018, 06:47 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
Anyone considering NOT having their 'slave cylinder' recall done until they start

I have. Especially after reading the chronological timeline of events, and looking at the minimal number of occurrences. Now, easy to say what if I’m one of those people who have the issue, and I’ve thought about that too, don’t get me wrong. I checked my level and it was good. Why not use the current one until it goes? I dunno, still on the fence...

Old 11-02-2018, 07:37 AM
Cold Forged
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I suppose that it depends on the wording of the Recall Notice, especially if this is a Safety Issue.
I just had my first failure to start while in gear, and a couple of near stalling/stumbling low speed incidences, so, in my opinion, the bad clutch lever and clutch switch pack is just as much a safety issue as a Leaking Slave Cylinder.

I will wait until the official Slave Cylinder Recall notice is delivered, which may take longer to be issued in Canada (My bike is in hibernation now anyway until Spring).
Then I will make sure that my dealer has the Slave Cylinder parts as well as the NEW Clutch Lever and Switch Pack parts in stock, and get everything done at once under Recall & Warranty.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:04 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold Forged
I suppose that it depends on the wording of the Recall Notice, especially if this is a Safety Issue.
I just had my first failure to start while in gear, and a couple of near stalling/stumbling low speed incidences, so, in my opinion, the bad clutch lever and clutch switch pack is just as much a safety issue as a Leaking Slave Cylinder.

I will wait until the official Slave Cylinder Recall notice is delivered, which may take longer to be issued in Canada (My bike is in hibernation now anyway until Spring).
Then I will make sure that my dealer has the Slave Cylinder parts as well as the NEW Clutch Lever and Switch Pack parts in stock, and get everything done at once under Recall & Warranty.
Had my left hand switch pack replaced already... on my 2014, same thing a few years ago. You’d think Harley could get ZF to make the circuitry more impervious to residual moisture and water, as the bike leans to the left with that side of the handlebar lower and holding water. Being in quality, if my customers kept having repeat issues, we’d lose business. The sad thing is Harley’s quality management system has failed because customer complaints are measured in many ways, and warranty is one of those ways. Failure analysis on the part should drive a cross functional review of the design FMEA failure mode effects analysis and revisit what actions can be taken to address the issue and mitigate risk. But as we all know, there is no governing body outside the customer to push the issue, except NHTSA and court litigation. So Harley continues to screw the customer base and we keep allowing it to happen. I’ve bought my six and LAST Harley over the last ten years. If more people followed by not buying, I’ll bet corporate would get on board and rethink their customer base and future orders.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:25 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,514 Likes on 3,608 Posts

My bike is going into the dealership in a couple of weeks to get a paint issue on the rear fender corrected. They said they will need it for a couple of months. I am going to specifically tell them to NOT do the recall while it's there. I plan to install an AIM slave cylinder down the road. For now, it works fine and I have no worries about it.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:39 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
My bike is going into the dealership in a couple of weeks to get a paint issue on the rear fender corrected. They said they will need it for a couple of months. I am going to specifically tell them to NOT do the recall while it's there. I plan to install an AIM slave cylinder down the road. For now, it works fine and I have no worries about it.
Damn thats not right... But you could look at it as FREE Winter storage!!

Old 11-02-2018, 03:50 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,514 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
Damn thats not right... But you could look at it as FREE Winter storage!!
Haha, yes indeed! Heated, even. Better than my own storage, I guess.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:51 PM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 447 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold Forged

On the clutch safety switch causing no-starts in gear and stalling:
I had mine replaced with no success on fixing these issues. I decided it was not likely the electronics so I started poking around. What I found was that the end of the ramp on the clutch lever that actuates the switch in the switch pack had some flashing left on it. I removed the clutch lever and filed down this flashing. I haven't had any issues since.

I think the stalling is caused by the ECM having a different idle setting if the clutch is not disengaged. Mine would idle erratically from about 400 to 1000 RPM and occasionally stall. Most often, I noticed this in stopped in traffic, moving short distances and coasting with the clutch in.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,451 Likes on 17,680 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock

Since it's an 8 week wait on parts around here that's pretty much my stand right now, it'll go in when the problem arises plus I haven't gotten the official notice yet. Anybody?

Old 11-02-2018, 06:08 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

No official notice here yet. I'll have it done as soon as I can get it in. I checked mine the other day, fluid is where it should be. I'm in no big hurry but it needs to get done. My clutch is butter smooth. If it failed then that could definitely cause a crack up.

I've got a tiny amount of transfer from trans to primary happening. I'll talk to them about that at the same time, maybe get both things done.

Quick Reply: Slave cylinder replacement