Sponsored by:

Harley earnings up

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 06:22 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Unit sales of bikes are down, but overall revenue is up 15%. Earnings are up about 67% over the same period last year. I'd have to look at the 10Q to see if this reflects a genuine improvement in productivity, or a non-recurring charge from last year. In either event, contrary to what some were predicting (hoping for?), it's positive news for HOG.
IF unit sales are down, there is nothing positive about that. Accountants can only pull tricks out of their hats for so long when sales are going down year over year. HD has made it's own problems for years. Their pricing has gotten ridiculous in the past few years in my opinion. That can't be good for unit sales. There ARE other manufacturers out there. They DO have competition. The Faithful do have limits to what they will endure.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:39 AM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
IF unit sales are down, there is nothing positive about that. Accountants can only pull tricks out of their hats for so long when sales are going down year over year. HD has made it's own problems for years. Their pricing has gotten ridiculous in the past few years in my opinion. That can't be good for unit sales. There ARE other manufacturers out there. They DO have competition. The Faithful do have limits to what they will endure.
The prices aren’t far off from other brands. Harley has sub 10k bikes available, the softails are inline with Indians dark horse (it’s closest competition). Your gonna pay more for a US built bike, US labor is expensive.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:32 AM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by supernac

The prices aren’t far off from other brands. Harley has sub 10k bikes available, the softails are inline with Indians dark horse (it’s closest competition). Your gonna pay more for a US built bike, US labor is expensive.

HD has bikes under 10K, by they aren’t really competitive IMO.

HD does have an advantage over Indian with the Softtail line. The midsize cruiser is perfect for folks that don’t like or want a 900# bike (like me).

Last edited by triumph900; 10-24-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:57 AM
otto.maddox
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Oh please, the "U.S. labor is expensive" argument needs to go away. German labor isn't cheap either and they build some amazing motorcycles.. and then have to ship them to the U.S.

HD needs to catch up finally with their competition. They've been resting on brand loyalty for the last few decades and that well is drying up.

The following 2 users liked this post by otto.maddox:
artsbest (10-25-2018), GOV5 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:31 AM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by otto.maddox
Oh please, the "U.S. labor is expensive" argument needs to go away. German labor isn't cheap either and they build some amazing motorcycles.. and then have to ship them to the U.S.

HD needs to catch up finally with their competition. They've been resting on brand loyalty for the last few decades and that well is drying up.
BMW’s are just as expensive. One advantage Harley has is resale value, they tend to hold value better than other brands. If Harley dropped prices by 5k it would impact that, then you would have a bunch of pissed of owners. All they really need to do is build some modern bikes at competitive prices, I hope that’s the plan with the street fighter and such. Most manufacturers have multiple lines of bikes (cruisers, sport, adv), Harley really only has one.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:38 AM
otto.maddox
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by supernac

BMW’s are just as expensive. One advantage Harley has is resale value, they tend to hold value better than other brands. If Harley dropped prices by 5k it would impact that, then you would have a bunch of pissed of owners. All they really need to do is build some modern bikes at competitive prices, I hope that’s the plan with the street fighter and such. Most manufacturers have multiple lines of bikes (cruisers, sport, adv), Harley really only has one.
HD should only expand their offerings (cruisers, sports, adv) if they are going to be competitive. The adventure market, for example, has some serious contenders to deal with. BMW being the big dog in that market.

HD won't be able to make cheaper bikes so they need come up with a good bike for the money (value). Better bikes will have to include up to date technology. If you look at the BMW adventure bike it has technology HD doesn't offer on any model currently.

The adventure bike community it totally different from the group buying baggers.

It will be a major culture change for HD. The new CEO seems to understand the challenge. Let's see how it goes.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:51 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I read that sales are down but revenues up due to the fact that the touring line is still popular and is the most profitable. The cruiser line, which presumably includes the softails, is down year over year; those machines are less profitable.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:57 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

Not only was H-D down 13% year over year, the entire industry was down 10% year over year, HDs market share has held steady at just over 50%. The fact that they’re able keep the company profitable in a shrinking market, HD isn’t going anywhere. They’re shrinking the company down to the size of the market. I’m more worried about the market shrinking, it’s sad that people don’t seem to be interested in this amazing activity we all love so much.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Faulkner (10-26-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I did my part and bought a new one. I for one hope they have many great years. I hope the young generation get the same enjoyment I have for years. Nothing better than being in the wind and free.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:12 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
I did my part and bought a new one. I for one hope they have many great years. I hope the young generation get the same enjoyment I have for years. Nothing better than being in the wind and free.
IMHO one of the main reasons is due to people not being able to afford the cost of the bikes. Most new riders are going to metric bike as those are much less money for much more motorcycle. HD has nothing to offer them at this point in time. If you want to talk about the "Street" model in that market HD is over priced by more than a few thousand for a bike that under performs by miles to what the metric bikes offer. That's where the new riders are going, then if you look at Sportsters you've got the same issue and the bike has had no updated for over 10 years other than paint and looks, it just well out of date for the market. Most of the Touring market is completely out of reach for the new riders so it goes to us old farts that can afford it, and plenty are getting tired of getting the run around with problems that HD doesn't care to address.

So it's no wonder the market is shrinking and saying we still have the biggest part of a shrinking market to try and say its all OK is just dumb, IMHO. The accountants spin to keep the stock prices from going down the tubes like it did back in 2008. Time will tell but so far, it's not looking so good.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
artsbest (10-25-2018), psyshack (10-27-2018), shorelasHD (11-03-2018)

Quick Reply: Harley earnings up