Sponsored by:

2019 114 M8 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 02:21 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts
Default 2019 114 M8 upgrades

Long story short, I purchased a 2019 RKS thru the overseas military sales program. And I can take delivery at a multitude of dealers throughout the US, so I am trying to get quotes for parts and installation quotas for SE stage 1 and 2 installs to keep my factory warranty. I figured I would just take delivery at the dealership that gives me a better price on that, so it is a single stop process.
Now I know that for the 2017, and 2018 MY the Motor Company has been required to void powertrain warranties for installing non emission compliant upgrades which was what I was basing my SE choices on. But while I was asking around for quotes with my supplied parts list, I have been told that installing S&S lifters and lifter blocks “may” void my factory 2 year warranty. These are obviously not emission control parts, nor do I want the parts themselves warrantied by HD, but voiding my warranty?
Do you guys know of anything that has changed with regards to this for the 2019’s, or are they just uneducated or full of ****?

Old 09-28-2018, 02:31 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts

So if you're concerned about the warranty and want to stay with SE stage kits, who suggested S&S lifters as part of the parts list?

If you ARE concerned about the warranty, just have the supplied parts that come with the SE stage kits installed.

But to answer your question, the aftermarket parts may fall into the gray area of "may" void your warranty. Which basically means if the find that those specific parts were the reason for the failure, then yeah. No coverage.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:34 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,348 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Long story short, I purchased a 2019 RKS thru the overseas military sales program. And I can take delivery at a multitude of dealers throughout the US, so I am trying to get quotes for parts and installation quotas for SE stage 1 and 2 installs to keep my factory warranty. I figured I would just take delivery at the dealership that gives me a better price on that, so it is a single stop process.
Now I know that for the 2017, and 2018 MY the Motor Company has been required to void powertrain warranties for installing non emission compliant upgrades which was what I was basing my SE choices on. But while I was asking around for quotes with my supplied parts list, I have been told that installing S&S lifters and lifter blocks “may” void my factory 2 year warranty. These are obviously not emission control parts, nor do I want the parts themselves warrantied by HD, but voiding my warranty?
Do you guys know of anything that has changed with regards to this for the 2019’s, or are they just uneducated or full of ****?
my understanding is the factory limited powertrain warranty covers OEM only parts and subsequent damage that occurs as a result of their failures. when installing SE or updated Harley parts that are tested and approved for each particular model within the first 60 days of purchase, they are considered OEM parts, if installed after 60 days they are not and damage caused by them will not be covered by the warranty.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:52 PM
BigDipper15
Club Member
Received 318 Likes on 170 Posts

The general rule is if you tune with anything other than the SE tuner or put any non EPA compliant parts they will void your powertrain. However every dealer is different.

I personally have V&H exhaust (non EPA) and mufflers (EPA compliant) with a SE heavy breather on my 18 M8. It's programmed with the SE tuner. I've been emphatically told by the head of service at my dealer and the service writers that my powertrain is NOT void. I also have it in writing via e-mail communication from them. I think they value the relationship especially since I spent $25k there this year. At least I hope. Could they void it....I'm sure they could for my exhaust. Unless I have an inspector come from Harley for a major problem on my bike I shouldn't have an issue. If that was the case I would probably just put the factory parts back on. Am I taking a risk...maybe. But I feel it's a small one and my dealer would come through for me in case of an issue. YMMV. If you are putting on all SE parts with the SE tuner installed by a HD dealer, I can't imagine you would have any warranty issues at all.

Honestly, I can't wait until the 2 years are up so I can get a power vision and dyno it. Then have any extended service done by privately owned shops that do the ESP's for Harley where I have a relationship with the owner.

Kind of makes me wish I bought a used 16 sometimes.

Last edited by BigDipper15; 09-28-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:36 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by teedoff65
So if you're concerned about the warranty and want to stay with SE stage kits, who suggested S&S lifters as part of the parts list?

If you ARE concerned about the warranty, just have the supplied parts that come with the SE stage kits installed.

But to answer your question, the aftermarket parts may fall into the gray area of "may" void your warranty. Which basically means if the find that those specific parts were the reason for the failure, then yeah. No coverage.
I requested the S&S lifters, as I have run them in every Harley I have owned without issue. The three times I have run SE lifters, I have had issues with them, so no desire to repeat that. Yes I fully understand that if my S&S lifters were found to be the cause of any failure, that not only would they not be covered, nor anything that they damaged would be covered. That I am perfectly fine with, it’s the statement that the installation of aftermarket lifters may simply void my entire powertrain warranty. That is what I am enquiring about.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:38 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mjwebb
my understanding is the factory limited powertrain warranty covers OEM only parts and subsequent damage that occurs as a result of their failures. when installing SE or updated Harley parts that are tested and approved for each particular model within the first 60 days of purchase, they are considered OEM parts, if installed after 60 days they are not and damage caused by them will not be covered by the warranty.
That is also what I thought, thank you.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:41 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BigDipper15
The general rule is if you tune with anything other than the SE tuner or put any non EPA compliant parts they will void your powertrain. However every dealer is different.

I personally have V&H exhaust (non EPA) and mufflers (EPA compliant) with a SE heavy breather on my 18 M8. It's programmed with the SE tuner. I've been emphatically told by the head of service at my dealer and the service writers that my powertrain is NOT void. I also have it in writing via e-mail communication from them. I think they value the relationship especially since I spent $25k there this year. At least I hope. Could they void it....I'm sure they could for my exhaust. Unless I have an inspector come from Harley for a major problem on my bike I shouldn't have an issue. If that was the case I would probably just put the factory parts back on. Am I taking a risk...maybe. But I feel it's a small one and my dealer would come through for me in case of an issue. YMMV. If you are putting on all SE parts with the SE tuner installed by a HD dealer, I can't imagine you would have any warranty issues at all.

Honestly, I can't wait until the 2 years are up so I can get a power vision and dyno it. Then have any extended service done by privately owned shops that do the ESP's for Harley where I have a relationship with the owner.

Kind of makes me wish I bought a used 16 sometimes.
Normally I do all my own mods, and I always do my own maintenance, but with the new M8 I’m trying to be a bit more cautious until it proves itself to me. I intend to stay reserved with it for now as well, and they get a little more intense with it either after the warranty is up, or at least after it has proven to be reliable at least.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:42 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,348 Likes on 4,769 Posts

I requested the S&S lifters, as I have run them in every Harley I have owned without issue. The three times I have run SE lifters, I have had issues with them, so no desire to repeat that. Yes I fully understand that if my S&S lifters were found to be the cause of any failure, that not only would they not be covered, nor anything that they damaged would be covered. That I am perfectly fine with, it’s the statement that the installation of aftermarket lifters may simply void my entire powertrain warranty. That is what I am enquiring about.
I think I would call the HD customer service to speak with a rep on that one..."automatically void upon install' sounds funky..might fall under the "may" void warranty in the event of a problem category..but get clarification straight from the HOG's, er' horse's mouth

The following users liked this post:
WAYJO (09-29-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 03:36 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I think I would call the HD customer service to speak with a rep on that one..."automatically void upon install' sounds funky..might fall under the "may" void warranty in the event of a problem category..but get clarification straight from the HOG's, er' horse's mouth
That is exactly what I did. They stated that installing those parts would not void my powertrain warranty. If a problem was to occur and the lifters or blocks were found to be the cause, they nor any damage they may have caused would be covered.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 03:55 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,352 Posts

That is exactly what I did. They stated that installing those parts would not void my powertrain warranty. If a problem was to occur and the lifters or blocks were found to be the cause, they nor any damage they may have caused would be covered.
Exactly right. The only immediate warranty--voider is an aftermarket tuner. Installing parts that defeat the emissions control system or a trailer hitch are also listed in the printed warranty as causing a voided powertrain warranty. But replacement parts like lifters should have no effect whatsoever on the warranty except for these:
1) your lifters are now excluded from warranty coverage, and
2) if something breaks, and Harley can trace the failure to having been caused by your new parts, then that repair will not be covered.

Quick Reply: 2019 114 M8 upgrades