Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 06:27 PM
cmastrom
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You probably won't believe it but the 2012 had a stock wheel package of a 16inch rear and a 18 inch front with a 70 sidewall and the 2018 has the same size 16 rear but the front end has been changed to a 19 with a little 60 sidewall even though the tire width is the same the the geometry is different than the 2012. I have a 2017 limited and I tested a couple of things as the ultra limited come with a rear 16 front 17 but with a 80 sidewall package I was lucky enough to have access to multiple wheels and tires so I did the work of changing these out and when I went with the 19 front it made parking lot maneuvers way easy compared to the stock 17 front but just tooling along around 30 and 90 mph there was a definite wobble around here a couple of parking lots have a squared off lip as opposed to the road pavement and when I did a stop followed with a hard right 90 because of traffic it felt and looked as if the very edge of the wheel had scraped unique turn only happened twice same parking lot and turn in and that concerned me plus on the ultra limited you could feel the rough in feed back through the bars.
I am now on a 16 rear and 18 front from a 2013 Street Glide that now allows me to run the 70 sidewall. This in my opinion is the package they should be coming stock from the factory with. As the sidewall is a little more narrow and the bike feels like a sled on rails in the sweepers and parking lot maneuvers are way easier than with the stock 16/17 setup what got me to test all this was the 17 sidewall apparently flexed in slow turn and in high speed sweepers to the point I thought I was leaking air thinking this waller feels like a flat coming on.. I say all this to say your wheel and tire package was different on your 2012 so it does make it feel and act different. just my observation. oh I also upgraded the front rotors to floating.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:54 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by steelpony16
OKay, so I traded in my 2012 SG for an 18 SG.
I have always been more comfortable going into right turns then left turns.
Now I feel more comfortable in left turns because when I make right hand turns now, it feels like it wants to keep turning
and I have to hold it back. WTH is going on?
Here's whats going on: You need more experience.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:04 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Counter Steering

Even the Top bike racers have a preference for hard cornering left or right! Most people prefer Left as throttle control high,is just easier to regulate!Forget about Feathering the clutch unless you're parking.You should be in the corner at a marginally lower speed and start to increase speed before the apex.To counter steer a big bike you can pull back on the high side bar or push away on the low side to force the bike to lie over.Pushing is easier as it secures your butt to the seat.
Many Harley's I have ridden are slightly skew and have a tendency to have a difference in initializing left or right turns.
As long as the bike tracks straight on a flat road with your hands off the bars you can choose to adapt this quirk into your riding style with conscious counter steering.If it still bothers you,get an experienced friend to confirm your opinion,and sell the bike!

Old 10-04-2018, 05:55 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Here's a guy that knows what he's doing on a Bmw GS. Works the same on my RG. I found this video reminded me of some things I had forgotten.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 657 Likes on 325 Posts

Wow... counter-lean... who would have thunk it? Oh, everyone who knows how to ride.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:39 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
maybe you missed your true calling in life..NASCAR!!!
He's here all week folks! Don't forget to tip your bartenders and waitresses.

MJ, that was beautiful! LOL!!

Old 10-05-2018, 06:44 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Now I feel more comfortable in left turns because when I make right hand turns now, it feels like it wants to keep turning
What do you mean that it wants to keep turning?

Old 10-06-2018, 09:15 AM
Bearpaw Mearle
Road Captain
Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
What do you mean that it wants to keep turning?
I guess I don't understand what he means either.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:56 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I've heard of horses being "herd-bound" or "barn sour" where they try to go back to the barn to rejoin their pals when you try to ride off. Sounds like the OP's bike has a dose of this. Need to find a "bike whisperer".

Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,269 Likes on 4,440 Posts

Hard to figure out what someone is reporting that "they feel" via an internet post....

If you actually feel something mechanically different between the left & right turns, take it to the dealer, try to explain it, and have them take a look... probably get the, "they al do that" line, but it would at least rule out a mechanical issue...

If they rule out anything mechanical, then you can chalk it up to the different feel between the bikes... and learn to live/deal with it...

Quick Reply: Turning