Sponsored by:

Stage 2 or stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 10:03 PM
madmat
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Stage 2 or stage 3

Looking at a leftover 2018 fltrxs. If I go for it, thinking about adding the stage 2 torque cam before I pick it up. A buddy of mine that works in service want me to go stage 3, says bump in power is worth it .

​​​​So, stage 2 or stage 3?

Old 09-14-2018, 10:12 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

Depends on how you ride, the stg 3 will have more power, but you won't feel it until about 3500 rpm, it will probably feel like it has less power from 2000-3500. If you normally shift between 4-4500 go with the stg 3, but since you were going with the torque cam that tells me you want the torque down low, I'd save the $$ & go stg 2.

The following users liked this post:
madmat (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:24 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by madmat
Looking at a leftover 2018 fltrxs. If I go for it, thinking about adding the stage 2 torque cam before I pick it up. A buddy of mine that works in service want me to go stage 3, says bump in power is worth it .

​​​​So, stage 2 or stage 3?
what's wrong with your 2017 fltrxs? you already have the best M8 color to date!

madmat (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 01:16 AM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

As you are looking at a touring version of the M8, my recommendation is Stage 2. It gives these bikes a better note, and plenty of low down grunt. These engines are already big displacement, and the 114 and beyond builds seem more prone to other issues according to Internet forums such as this, although I’m yet to meet anyone in the real world with any issues with these bikes.

My advice is go the stage 2 and then get a tuner that can allow a decent dyno operator to retune the bike optimally. If you are concerned about warranty, keep it stock until warranty lapses, then do it.

Sure, Webby will tell you Stage 1 is all you need, and that’s true, but with the M8 they don’t sound right until you add a Cam IMO.

My 17 FLHR has the Torque Cam, and has 30,000 faultless km on it, 25,000 with Stage 2. It rides much better than it did stock. 120ft lbs at 3300 rpm, 98 HP at 5400 rpm - perfect for me. I believe getting a bike optimally tuned is the key to avoiding engine issues. They run cooler in optimal AFR which I think makes all the difference.

madmat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 07:17 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
As you are looking at a touring version of the M8, my recommendation is Stage 2. It gives these bikes a better note, and plenty of low down grunt. These engines are already big displacement, and the 114 and beyond builds seem more prone to other issues according to Internet forums such as this, although I’m yet to meet anyone in the real world with any issues with these bikes.

My advice is go the stage 2 and then get a tuner that can allow a decent dyno operator to retune the bike optimally. If you are concerned about warranty, keep it stock until warranty lapses, then do it.

Sure, Webby will tell you Stage 1 is all you need, and that’s true, but with the M8 they don’t sound right until you add a Cam IMO.

My 17 FLHR has the Torque Cam, and has 30,000 faultless km on it, 25,000 with Stage 2. It rides much better than it did stock. 120ft lbs at 3300 rpm, 98 HP at 5400 rpm - perfect for me. I believe getting a bike optimally tuned is the key to avoiding engine issues. They run cooler in optimal AFR which I think makes all the difference.
great advice.. unless someone is just an absolute full fledged bonafide adrenaline junkie I can't see wanting or needing anything more than what you were able to achieve..and like mentioned, getting a competent capable installer and tuner is the key in my book because I'm out for reliability as always # 1 priority ...and you got about the best performance and long term reliability report I recall seeing here after all this time now

madmat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 08:11 AM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
great advice.. unless someone is just an absolute full fledged bonafide adrenaline junkie I can't see wanting or needing anything more than what you were able to achieve..and like mentioned, getting a competent capable installer and tuner is the key in my book because I'm out for reliability as always # 1 priority ...and you got about the best performance and long term reliability report I recall seeing here after all this time now
seems to be the case hey Webby.......although I can add quite a few chapter members who are beyond my kms with zero issues too, even with bigger builds. Another factor is if the rider carries pillions. Two up, the Torque Cam is a definate advantage because it feels like you’re still riding solo. The dealers will always recommend bigger builds - it’s more bucks for them.

madmat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:34 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oz Dan

seems to be the case hey Webby.......although I can add quite a few chapter members who are beyond my kms with zero issues too, even with bigger builds. Another factor is if the rider carries pillions. Two up, the Torque Cam is a definate advantage because it feels like you’re still riding solo. The dealers will always recommend bigger builds - it’s more bucks for them.
yeah, there's no one size fits all upgrade solutions, so many variables to take into consideration..for me after 28,000 miles on just an SE Stage 1 on the 'lighter' King and riding solo I can run all day at 80 mph and have been able pass every vehicle in my way with ease by winding her up..every single time I've considered doing Stage 2, then riding mine again, I return with the same thought..why bother?..we all have different perspectives

madmat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:59 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

It depends on how you ride, who you ride with, what your expectations of power are.

I started with a Stage 1, went to Stage 2 after 30 days. I thought it was a big improvement but not quite as much as I wanted. For me, the Stage 3 might have been a better choice, but way more $ of course.

After a year I opted to dump my warranty and go with a different cam (RS468) and tuner. I think I'm where I want to be now.

madmat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 10:43 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 996 Posts

You’re talking about taking a 2018 that you’re getting a deal on and letting a dealer tech remove and replace the top end. What is that going to cost? If you want a 114” buy a 2019 Special model. If you still feel the need for more power get the torque cam. I would leave it there, the power will be in a usable rpm range. The stage III & IV kits from the factory are notorious for causing the motor to sump. The chances of sumping are much less in a stock motor. I think you’ll find the difference between the cost of the 2019 and the 2018 with the stage III installed is negligible. Plus you will have a bike with one less year depreciation on it.

If you want a bike that runs really hard and is reliable, do an aftermarket 117” or 120” big bore on your 2017, especially if your 2017 doesn’t transfer or sump. Nobody can guarantee you the new bike you’re considering won’t have those problems. You’ll be way ahead of the people doing the MOCO stage kits.

If the reason for going to the 2018 is the blacked out motor, there’s plenty of powder coaters that will be glad to coat your chrome. In Massachusetts you will have all winter to get it done.

Last edited by $tonecold; 09-15-2018 at 10:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
madmat (09-16-2018), twohawks (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 10:57 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tonecold
You’re talking about taking a 2018 that you’re getting a deal on and letting a dealer tech remove and replace the top end. What is that going to cost? If you want a 114” buy a 2019 Special model. If you still feel the need for more power get the torque cam. I would leave it there, the power will be in a usable rpm range. The stage III & IV kits from the factory are notorious for causing the motor to sump. The chances of sumping are much less in a stock motor. I think you’ll find the difference between the cost of the 2019 and the 2018 with the stage III installed is negligible. Plus you will have a bike with one less year depreciation on it.

now there's some more great advice..and you could just do the 500 break in, and really, wouldn't need to even upgrade the cam bearing and lifters with the 447 cam to keep costs down even further, they don't require or recommend it and being new parts no real 'need' to toss them or take a chance they mess something up..if they have a problem down the road it's covered and you'd just pay the difference for the upgraded parts which would be nominal...not a bad way to go at all..options abound, enjoy the 'shopping spree'!

madmat (09-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Stage 2 or stage 3