Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 2 or stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Funny how most of the advice comes from folks that don't have the mods you are talking about? I sometimes wonder where they pull their wisdom from? Anyway, from one who HAS dome it, my opinion is to pull the trigger and do the stage 3. It is a hoot from startup to WOT and everything in between. Do not listen to people who say the stage 3 power starts at x rpm, it starts at startup and kicks *** all the way through the range. My dyno is listed on the forum in the dyno section if you want to take a look but it doesn't tell the story of twisting the throttle with a stage 3 M8 under your seat. I have have np problems with sumping or transfer on my RKS. I made sure that the upgraded oi pump was installed with the stage 3, but it is required as part of the TB.
Want a kick *** ride? Stage 3 will give it to you!

The following 2 users liked this post by Noisy Cricket:
Bigaj2 (09-16-2018), madmat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 11:33 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Noisy Cricket
Funny how most of the advice comes from folks that don't have the mods you are talking about? I sometimes wonder where they pull their wisdom from? Anyway, from one who HAS dome it, my opinion is to pull the trigger and do the stage 3. It is a hoot from startup to WOT and everything in between. Do not listen to people who say the stage 3 power starts at x rpm, it starts at startup and kicks *** all the way through the range. My dyno is listed on the forum in the dyno section if you want to take a look but it doesn't tell the story of twisting the throttle with a stage 3 M8 under your seat. I have have np problems with sumping or transfer on my RKS. I made sure that the upgraded oi pump was installed with the stage 3, but it is required as part of the TB.
Want a kick *** ride? Stage 3 will give it to you!
think you're being too quick to judge...a lot of us (yes me included) have done a lot of mods over the years...OP says he's 'thinking about' an upgrade but didn't provide a lot of details on how he rides, or intends to..solo, two up, touring or not, etc. so differing perspectives looking at the costs, potential reliability, drivability, fuel economy, etc. are being shared to maybe help him make a decision he can feel good about spending possibly beaucoup bucks...glad you're happy with your performance upgrade and it's a good share to help him along with, just like the other perspectives..not to mention considering going from a 17 to 18 and what if 20 they have new frame and suspension and 'just have to have it' sets in...you could possibly be throwing away thousands more..don't ask me how I know all this..there's just plenty to consider overall imo and just trying to help

Last edited by mjwebb; 09-15-2018 at 11:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
madmat (09-16-2018), MTBIG G (09-16-2018), Oz Dan (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 02:05 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
think you're being too quick to judge...a lot of us (yes me included) have done a lot of mods over the years...OP says he's 'thinking about' an upgrade but didn't provide a lot of details on how he rides, or intends to..solo, two up, touring or not, etc. so differing perspectives looking at the costs, potential reliability, drivability, fuel economy, etc. are being shared to maybe help him make a decision he can feel good about spending possibly beaucoup bucks...glad you're happy with your performance upgrade and it's a good share to help him along with, just like the other perspectives..not to mention considering going from a 17 to 18 and what if 20 they have new frame and suspension and 'just have to have it' sets in...you could possibly be throwing away thousands more..don't ask me how I know all this..there's just plenty to consider overall imo and just trying to help
I understand what you are saying, but the OP is considering an 18, meaning an M8 engine. The Mods you did with your TC or shovels do not apply here, this is a different beast, and most of the "advice" that has been given is way off base. My grip here is that to many informed opinions are not. A person that posts a query on the forum (IMO) deserves to be answered by people that have the actual experience to answer, not just people wanting to increase their thread count. Or at least qualify the post with "I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but here's what I think".

The following users liked this post:
madmat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 03:03 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I wish I could stop clicking on these threads. Too many ideas here. I am perfectly happy with my bike but I just keep thinking "What if?" "Should I or shouldn't I?" Dang it

madmat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 03:34 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 996 Posts

I understand what you are saying, but the OP is considering an 18, meaning an M8 engine. The Mods you did with your TC or shovels do not apply here, this is a different beast, and most of the "advice" that has been given is way off base. My grip here is that to many informed opinions are not. A person that posts a query on the forum (IMO) deserves to be answered by people that have the actual experience to answer, not just people wanting to increase their thread count. Or at least qualify the post with "I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but here's what I think".
I looked at your chart on the dyno forum. I made more torque and made it quicker than you did by installing a RS-468 cam with a decatted stock header, stock muffler cans with Fullsac 2” cores, and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker. I did the work myself and I didn’t have nearly as much invested to get better results. My dyno sheet is posted in the “Steve Cole’s and $tonecold’s Cam Testing” thread. So I know what I’m talking about and I know about M8’s. Basically the only reasons to do a MOCO stage kit is to maintain your warranty or you’ve drank the MOCO Kool-Aid. There’s much better options aftermarket and they’re getting better all the time.

The following 4 users liked this post by $tonecold:
Beerbar (09-18-2018), madmat (09-16-2018), MTBIG G (09-16-2018), twohawks (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 04:20 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

To me on a m8 i dont care for anything more then a stage 2.

madmat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 07:08 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 996 Posts

So here is the difference between aftermarket and the MOCO.

This is my 107 with the RS 468 cam, stock muffler cans with the Fullsac 2" cores, and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner.

Here is Noisy Cricket's 114" stage III

I think the charts speak for themselves.

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
madmat (09-16-2018), twohawks (09-16-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 07:16 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,345 Likes on 4,768 Posts

right..he's considering an 18 and already has the same bike in a 17..and is considering a Stage 2 or maybe a 3..OD and you gave glowing reviews of your respective 2 and 3 updates, Stonecold gave another very worthy perspective about getting a 2019 114 for about the same cost and in the big picture another option or perspective is don't rush out and do anything immediately as there are lots of options to consider in spending money wisely..it's all good info to the OP to consider...I am not seeing any responses here that remotely resemble "people wanting to increase their thread count. Or at least qualify the post with "I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but here's what I think"...rather more in the spirit of just trying to help...another option to consider depending on how the OP likes to ride may be the Stage 2 Power Cam, less expensive, less intrusive and potentially less risks than an SE stage 3, or maybe aftermarket if warranty isn’t a huge concern but sounds like it maybe is...???

Last edited by mjwebb; 09-15-2018 at 10:52 PM.
madmat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 01:28 AM
edmroadglide
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

i am pretty happy with the stage 2 torque cam , wakes the bike up nice in that 2800 to 4700 rpm range and you can cruse around in a high gear int he city and still have plenty out of the whole.

madmat (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 07:37 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

I had a stage III on my 2017 RGS, The Videos Harley-Davidson puts out on the differences between their stage kits sums them up nicely. If you have not watched them, I recommend you check them out.

The following 2 users liked this post by sixguns:
madmat (09-16-2018), mjwebb (09-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Stage 2 or stage 3