Sponsored by:

'19 M8 Boom GTS CarPlay Hack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 02:30 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by CapoDelToro
Once you do, please include the specific configuration used to bypass the mic requirement. Thank you!
If I was a betting man I'd say you can more then likely get CarPlay for about $80 and a little of your time. All you need is the BOOM! Audio Music and Communications kit part # 69200865 $69.95. Plug it in to the plug on the back of the radio and get the cheapest 7 pin connector you can find on eBay and plug it in and leave it. As far as I can tell the plug and not so much the mic is what is activating the CarPlay to come on. Even if you have to buy a cheap headset and strip it down to bear mins and leave it in the fairing. You can turn it off and have everything sent to the fairing speakers.

I added both a rider and passenger connector to my bike....I actually like being able to voce command the radio and use all the functions.

Matter of fact when I get home I'll plug in a cord with out a headset plugged in and see if the CarPlay comes up.

Last edited by craigffb; 12-10-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:48 PM
LN Nation
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by craigffb
If I was a betting man I'd say you can more then likely get CarPlay for about $80 and a little of your time. All you need is the BOOM! Audio Music and Communications kit part # 69200865 $69.95. Plug it in to the plug on the back of the radio and get the cheapest 7 pin connector you can find on eBay and plug it in and leave it. As far as I can tell the plug and not so much the mic is what is activating the CarPlay to come on. Even if you have to buy a cheap headset and strip it down to bear mins and leave it in the fairing. You can turn it off and have everything sent to the fairing speakers.

I added both a rider and passenger connector to my bike....I actually like being able to voce command the radio and use all the functions.
Nope. That doesn't work. I tried using an aftermarket 7-pin wired headset by ICM and it did not activate Carplay (the Harley 7-pin wired headset does) There is something mechanical in the Harley 7-pin connector that activates the Carplay.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:56 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LN Nation
Nope. That doesn't work. I tried using an aftermarket 7-pin wired headset by ICM and it did not activate Carplay (the Harley 7-pin wired headset does) There is something mechanical in the Harley 7-pin connector that activates the Carplay.
Even if that's the case...I'll check when I get home cause I have a cheap eBay one I don't use too, a NEW wired headset cord is only like $25.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:19 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Works with the cheapo headset. I think it was like $30 off eBay. Doesn’t work with just the H-D cable. So apparently you need a mic. So I was off a little, you can have CarPlay for around the hundo mark.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 AM
LN Nation
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting that the iMC headset didn't work.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:14 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LN Nation
Interesting that the iMC headset didn't work.
On another note, I plug the HD headset in and disconnected the cable from the headset and CarPlay dropped off.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:09 PM
Uberjason
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I would imagine you just need to jumper a couple of the connectors on the DIN 7 connector to trick into into believing a mic is connected. Need to look at specification for the DIN connector as well as what pin the mic utilizes.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uberjason
I would imagine you just need to jumper a couple of the connectors on the DIN 7 connector to trick into into believing a mic is connected. Need to look at specification for the DIN connector as well as what pin the mic utilizes.
Spot # 4 the red wire is the mic. The tab is the mic shield. Front and rear are the same so don’t worry that it has passenger in the picture. I built a rear harness for my 19 RGS and it works like a champ. Not sure what you’d have to do to the DIN to trick itbto thinking there is a mic. But I can tell you a mic is needed to keep CarPlay activated. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Uberjason (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:04 PM
Uberjason
Cruiser

No mention of a headset requirement short of using voice commands. "The rider requires a headset with microphone to enable voice commands." Nothing I am finding in the 2019 HD GTS BOOM Manual stating a headset is required to enable Apple CarPlay.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Carplay.pdf (58.0 KB, 166 views)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Uberjason
Cruiser

Craigffb, great stuff and find sir! Thank you!!

Quick Reply: '19 M8 Boom GTS CarPlay Hack?