Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'19 M8 Boom GTS CarPlay Hack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 05:45 AM
CapoDelToro
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In your experiences...is the stealership doing this quick hookup and check box for free or are they resistant to do it, or charging you an arm and a leg?

Old 05-13-2019, 01:21 PM
CapoDelToro
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This info is correct. I just left my local dealer and they activated and checked the box for me for free. I was very surprised and grateful. They just plugged the Bluetooth diagnostic reader into the port in the left side panel under the seat and I watched the tech check the required boxes. It took all of 3 minutes. I now have CarPlay enabled which gives me Waze, Maps, SiriusXM, Amazon Music, and Texts. This is the way it should come from the dealer.

The following 2 users liked this post by CapoDelToro:
N8ftc (05-24-2019), Zonktified (03-04-2020)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:02 AM
jekkil
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CapoDelToro
This info is correct. I just left my local dealer and they activated and checked the box for me for free. I was very surprised and grateful. They just plugged the Bluetooth diagnostic reader into the port in the left side panel under the seat and I watched the tech check the required boxes. It took all of 3 minutes. I now have CarPlay enabled which gives me Waze, Maps, SiriusXM, Amazon Music, and Texts. This is the way it should come from the dealer.
On that diagnostic port I have plugged the FP3 that also talks via bluetooth to my iphone. It's a pitty we cannot access those parameter with the FP3 app from V&H...

Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 14IronCross
I had the tech show me how he enables Carplay.

This only works if you do NOT have a WHIM installed,
if you do have a WHIM installed you must have a BT headset connected for AppleCarPlay to work.

The trick is pretty simple, in digital tech you need to disable the microphone option --> then bam apple carplay shows up on screen when i plugged my iphone.

Obviously I do not have any voice command functionality since I don't have a mic connected, but everything else from carplay works.

Also,
If you do get a WHIM later make sure to tell the tech to also enable the microphone when they enable your WHIM.
That will save you some serious headache.
If you do have WHIM installed, what happens if you disable the microphone option? Still no Carplay, or don't know? I have tried unplugging the WHIM on my CVO, but had no change. Still required a Bluetooth device.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:30 PM
14IronCross
Banned
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by load97
If you do have WHIM installed, what happens if you disable the microphone option? Still no Carplay, or don't know? I have tried unplugging the WHIM on my CVO, but had no change. Still required a Bluetooth device.
Did you update to the latest software?
I think lawabidingbiker has a video of carplay showing up when whim is enabled after the latest software update.
Link:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...m-box-gts.html

Last edited by 14IronCross; 05-21-2019 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Added hd link to boom box gts
Old 05-22-2019, 06:00 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Software is all good. Just need to have a Bluetooth device attached to get Carplay to show. Pain in the *** really.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:45 PM
N8ftc
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
Will audio still play out of the fairing speakers when a head set is plugged in? If it does I was considering plugging in a cheap third party headset and stuffing it under the seat.

I have no need to use Siri, she doesn't understand me most of the time anyways. It doesn't work well in dead silence, I can just imagine how well Siri works when you're bouncing down the highway at 80 with a good set of pipes basting away. Getting the audio out of the fairing speakers is adequate for me.

Agreed! Siri FTL! Total waste. Android Auto is far superior. Voice recognition is much better for sure.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Dealer enabled my bike today. No WHIM installed and no Bluetooth device attached and CarPlay works beautifully, but you have to have the phone plugged in. This is the way that the bike should be. It’s great. I’m able to access and search through Amazon Prime Audio and the other audio services such as Pandora. Love it.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:10 PM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertwndrr
Dealer enabled my bike today. No WHIM installed and no Bluetooth device attached and CarPlay works beautifully, but you have to have the phone plugged in. This is the way that the bike should be. It’s great. I’m able to access and search through Amazon Prime Audio and the other audio services such as Pandora. Love it.

If you can get this to work without requiring a Bluetooth device connected and no WHIM installed, I should be able to do the same with the WHIM installed. I am running the latest software and can only get CarPlay to show up with a Bluetooth device connected. Anyone have any luck doing this? Ryan Urlacher's video doesn't cover how to do this with a WHIM installed.

I am able to make this work with a Cardo PackTalk Bold connected but the problem is, when it is connected to the WHIM, I cannot communicate with my buddies using the Mesh network mode which Cardo calls DMC mode. I remember reading somewhere that this is the same issue that the new Sena 30K, or whatever the latest one is called.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:39 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Apple car play

The following users liked this post:
winamos (12-26-2019)

Quick Reply: '19 M8 Boom GTS CarPlay Hack?