Sponsored by:

Intermittent Sumping 2018 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 05:39 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by D W K
I believe there is a correlation of mine being a CVO 114 wet head and the sumping issues. Now for me to replicate it, i ride a stretch of twisty road for 31 miles one way and then back in 100 deg temps. This is on and off the gas fairly hard.I ride it within the designed perimeters but hard enough to get it really hot. It shows signs of sumping at about 45 miles if I am alone and sooner if wife is on the back. Now mind you this has all come up recently and once done, it is progressively getting worse or at least easier to replicate. I had hoped the new oil pump and rockers was enough to fix it but as soon as I got it back and made a ride in 80 degree temps and smelled burning oil, I knew it wasnt. Now lets be honest, I truly hoped the dealers "fix" would be the answer, however the time it sumped before repairs, the motor flat stopped from melting the crank sensor and shutting down. I believe the motor was seriously hurt that time and the pump replacement was a bandaid. I will state again, I hope you don't experience sumping because I have a 35k bike I dont trust more than 200 miles from home.
Question, did the dealer install the plate behind your oil pump ? If not I'd take it back and see if they'd be willing to do that.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:05 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
Question, did the dealer install the plate behind your oil pump ? If not I'd take it back and see if they'd be willing to do that.
They did not install the plate. I even asked them about it as the dealer was talking about how they had a prototype of the plate months ago.
He was confident that the pump and rockers was the fix. I fell pretty sure the motor was hurt and no matter what they did, the motor was toast.
It's funny, I was riding it the night I got it back and ended up meeting a guy who is Service manager for a different dealer. I tild him about my issues and he was surprised the motor wasnt at least opened up. So..... When it sumped the next day i called him (3rd dealer in 200 miles) and they have it now. hopefully he can get Harley to authorize the opening of the motor. And or a full replacement. I have been meaning to get on the phone with Harley and raise hell. That or have my attorney draft a demand letter that they get it fixed or buy it back. I put a ton of money down on this bike. I will say again, it's sad I have a 2017 SG CVO I paid right at 35k for that I cannot ride for fear of it breaking. Texas has a lemon law so i may start that process.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:48 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by D W K
They did not install the plate. I even asked them about it as the dealer was talking about how they had a prototype of the plate months ago.
He was confident that the pump and rockers was the fix. I fell pretty sure the motor was hurt and no matter what they did, the motor was toast.
It's funny, I was riding it the night I got it back and ended up meeting a guy who is Service manager for a different dealer. I tild him about my issues and he was surprised the motor wasnt at least opened up. So..... When it sumped the next day i called him (3rd dealer in 200 miles) and they have it now. hopefully he can get Harley to authorize the opening of the motor. And or a full replacement. I have been meaning to get on the phone with Harley and raise hell. That or have my attorney draft a demand letter that they get it fixed or buy it back. I put a ton of money down on this bike. I will say again, it's sad I have a 2017 SG CVO I paid right at 35k for that I cannot ride for fear of it breaking. Texas has a lemon law so i may start that process.
Ride it hard and hot, sump it, ride more, let it melt, call dealer.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:37 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
What do you have to do to replicate? What is a brisk ride for you? I am not doubting your issue. But I am in the same boat as Mjwebb. I have put over 14k miles on my 2018, Stage 1 Road King in just 20 days shy of a year.

I have ridden this bike at times harder than I really wanted to in an effort to see if it will fail while under warranty. It takes everything it's been dealt without any issues whatsoever.

Everyone I know with an M8 or have met on the road is as happy as I am. My only experience with these issues are from this site and other internet sources.

It hard to swallow some do / some don't when they all are created equally. If you have a way to replicate your sumping issue please share. I'll gladly try whatever it is....within reason.
You asked, so here’s my recipe for determining if your bike is likely to sump. It takes some time so plan accordingly. If you’re handy you can check yourself. If not, plan your time to end at your dealership service shop when its open.

its relatively simple. Take the bike out on an interstate. Ride normally for about 40-50 miles. Turn around and ride back to your starting point without letting the bike idle. Ride at normal highway speeds (70-80) with occasional downshifts and a few double downshifts to pass vehicles. Nothing crazy.

When you get back to you starting point, head for some back roads. Ride another 10-20miles of twisties where you’re doing alot more shifting than on the highway. Try not to stop for idling.

Either stop at your dealer after that ride and ask them to follow SB1450 or do it yourself when you get home. The steps are straightforward. If after you open the Crank Position Sensor you have more than 6 ounces of oil...well then I’m afraid you have just joined the sumper club. If you are doing the check yourself, check your dipstick following the steps in the owner's manual for checking oil level.. If its low and you know it was full when you left... its sumping. If you smell putrid burning oil smell when you open the dipstick...you have a sumper. If you end up sumping more extensively again, you run the risk of crank/rod bearing failure. After that, you’re looking at a failed engine.

If you follow the steps I just outlined, IMO, if you have less than 6 ounces of oil in the crankcase, than its NOT very likely your engine will sump in the future.

Last edited by Heatwave; 09-16-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:21 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
Ride it hard and hot, sump it, ride more, let it melt, call dealer.
I second that. When it starts to misbehave keep going instead of shutting it off and saving what you think is the engine. Ride that puppy till it either catches on fire or melts the bearings to the crank. Otherwise you run the risk of them doing a partial tear down and partial fix. You want a brand new crate engine.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

So mine is the 56th post on this thread and the OP hasn't posted again since the first post. No etiquette at all!

He did the same thing on another thread that he started. Could he be a TROLL?

Last edited by $tonecold; 09-17-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:52 AM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
So mine is the 56th post on this thread and the OP hasn't posted again since the first post. No etiquette at all!

He did the same thing on another thread that he started. Could he be a TROLL?
Not surprised at all

Last edited by plasmadaddy; 09-17-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:02 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Well at least on a thread he started in the touring forum he did post several times. Would be nice to hear from him again to see if he has gotten any resolution.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:05 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,651 Likes on 6,279 Posts

It's completely unacceptable that the dealer has been no help on a known issue. Find another dealer ASAP.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
I don't know why this has to be associated with an Indian dealer now, the sumping is a legitimate problem, as I have stated in another thread I have a very good friend who's bike is down now because of this and they just brought in a 2018 CVO RG with a stage 4 kit into Smith Brothers HD Friday thats blew up because of this and this is one of major reasons for me personally not buying a new bike at this time.
No I don't have a M8 and not sure I want one but the issue's are real and the dealers are taught to deny the problems as usual. I'll have to say that If I purchased a bike and it did this one time I'd be living on the dealers door step until they fixed my bike, these guys are very tolerant I'll have to say, very tolerant.
So is this the same guy you posted about that Harley had their techs fly out and install the vent in the primary case?

Quick Reply: Intermittent Sumping 2018 Road King