Sponsored by:

Intermittent Sumping 2018 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 09:29 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,366 Likes on 4,777 Posts

Originally Posted by FatboysFatboy96
Just putting this here for your enjoyment.
https://youtu.be/Rm57U2SUYaE
yeah, that's been kicked around here for awhile..of course opinions and responses range from one end of the pendulum to the other and everything in between on his credibility..I fall into the camp of it's a pretty good overall perspective

Old 09-08-2018, 10:36 PM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34,839 Likes on 8,109 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, that's been kicked around here for awhile..of course opinions and responses range from one end of the pendulum to the other and everything in between on his credibility..I fall into the camp of it's a pretty good overall perspective
I don’t own an M8 but someday soon I may. I’m just doing some research right now.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (09-08-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 06:54 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't know why this has to be associated with an Indian dealer now, the sumping is a legitimate problem, as I have stated in another thread I have a very good friend who's bike is down now because of this and they just brought in a 2018 CVO RG with a stage 4 kit into Smith Brothers HD Friday thats blew up because of this and this is one of major reasons for me personally not buying a new bike at this time.
No I don't have a M8 and not sure I want one but the issue's are real and the dealers are taught to deny the problems as usual. I'll have to say that If I purchased a bike and it did this one time I'd be living on the dealers door step until they fixed my bike, these guys are very tolerant I'll have to say, very tolerant.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
the dealers are taught to deny the problems as usual.
Clearly the three dealerships in my area missed this lesson.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 12:28 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by FatboysFatboy96
Just putting this here for your enjoyment.
https://youtu.be/Rm57U2SUYaE
John Maxwell recently purchased a brand new 2018 M8 after returning from the 2019 dealer show. I'd have to guess that he conducted a bit more research than the average buyer prior to pulling the trigger. If his new M8 turns out to be a sumper, I highly doubt his dealer (AKA employer) will deny the issue exists, despite claims that they are "taught" to do so.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:05 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Adam Sandovals 114 Stage 4 with 3k since install just blew!

Old 09-09-2018, 08:17 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

me too, 2 years 26,300 miles and leaving for a 1500 mile Idaho road trip next week, hasn't broken down or left me stranded, delayed or ruined vacation plans, etc. etc..I should probably cancel my trip next week because I've been flying too close to the Sun for too long now..same story with the dozen or so M8 owners I ride with in our Chapter...but sure our little sample is obviously the exception and not the rule so guess we're just a lucky bunch
Glad your bike is running correctly but there are people who are experiencing Sumping. It is a real problem. I am having issues with it big time myself.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:52 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by D W K
Glad your bike is running correctly but there are people who are experiencing Sumping. It is a real problem. I am having issues with it big time myself.
of course there are, and it sucks for those that have it..just have to take some of the reports with a grain of salt and filter them out..if you take a brand new CVO and modify the engine, exhaust and ECM with aftermarket performance parts completely out of compliance and all original design parameters before you even take delivery of it..well, hard to count the problems incurred as a result afterwards as being a factory failure..granted, the relatively few stock bikes reporting it is somewhat concerning, and the factory SE big bore kits sounds like a real concern for sure..just the heavily modified aftermarket builds having problems is hard to get excited over..you're really entering at your own risk there regarding powertrain

Last edited by mjwebb; 09-09-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:57 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

of course there are, and it sucks for those that have it..just have to take some of the reports with a grain of salt and filter them out..if you take a brand new CVO and modify the engine, exhaust and ECM with aftermarket performance parts completely out of compliance and all original design parameters before you even take delivery of it..well, hard to count the problems incurred as a result afterwards as being a factory failure..granted, the relatively few stock bikes reporting it is somewhat concerning, and the factory SE big bore kits sounds like a real concern for sure..just the heavily modified aftermarket builds having problems is hard to get excited over..you're really entering at your own risk there regarding powertrain
Mine is a CVO with SE tuner and SE pipes which are both Ok according to Harley. My issue did not rear its ugly head until I pushed the bike hard on a long curvy road and then a long strip of highway. And for the record, every dealer I have ever talked to about it, is very familiar with the "known" issue, so it's not as isolated as you would like to believe it is. after having it occur once, I can replicate it now. In fact I took a brisk ride Saturday and had it Sump in 62 miles. I truly hope you don't experience the sumpping issue but your statements are painting with a very broad brush.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by D W K
Mine is a CVO with SE tuner and SE pipes which are both Ok according to Harley. My issue did not rear its ugly head until I pushed the bike hard on a long curvy road and then a long strip of highway. And for the record, every dealer I have ever talked to about it, is very familiar with the "known" issue, so it's not as isolated as you would like to believe it is. after having it occur once, I can replicate it now. In fact I took a brisk ride Saturday and had it Sump in 62 miles. I truly hope you don't experience the sumpping issue but your statements are painting with a very broad brush.
I get it, it's real, that's not being debated....all I can relate it to is personal experience..wife an I bought our M8 107s 8/29/2016 and many others in our chapter have followed over these 2 years. We've ridden with many of them many times over 2 years, short trip, day trips, overnighters, week long rally trips, 10's of thousands of miles in all weather and speeds and road conditions, elevations, temperatures, etc. and we're always down at the dealership and talking with our Service techs, etc...if i even brought up the word 'sumping' and asked if anyone knew what it was they'd probably think I was talking about a septic tank repair. guess what I'm trying to say is in the 2 years been around M8s this is the ONLY place I've heard of it. So what's the actual rate of failure, how prevalent is it actually? I don't know..my personal experience around M8s with with sumping is Zero failure rate

Last edited by mjwebb; 09-09-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Sumping 2018 Road King