Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With My Planned Performance Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:31 PM
Saguaro
Advanced
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help With My Planned Performance Upgrade!

Here is my quandry: I plan a performance upgrade to my 2017 RKS. I have narrowed it down to two choices. All parts will be from Fuelmoto. They are:
  • Dynojet - Power Vision PV-2 Black
  • Jackpot Milwaukee-Eight 2/1/2 Stainless Steel Head Pipe
  • Wood Performance WM8-22X Chain Drive Camshaft with Pushrods, Lifters & Kit
  • S&S Cycle M8 Billet Tappet Cuffs
The second is Harley's Stage III with the torque cam. I will also add the Power Vision, Jackpot headers and the S&S tappet cuffs. This choice costs about $1K more but I gain 7 ci. and upgraded clutch springs. Both are expensive and I want to make the best decision. What do you my fellow enthusiasts, think I should choose. Come on let's hear you!

Old 08-16-2018, 12:24 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

First option. Or first option plus Fuel Moto’s 120 inch kit. Take a week off, ride out to Wisconsin and have them install it.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:50 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 975 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Saguaro
Here is my quandry: I plan a performance upgrade to my 2017 RKS. I have narrowed it down to two choices. All parts will be from Fuelmoto. They are:
The second is Harley's Stage III with the torque cam. I will also add the Power Vision, Jackpot headers and the S&S tappet cuffs. This choice costs about $1K more but I gain 7 ci. and upgraded clutch springs. Both are expensive and I want to make the best decision. What do you my fellow enthusiasts, think I should choose. Come on let's hear you!
I have pretty much the same parts sitting in my shop as your first choice, waiting to install this winter. Only differences being I have the Jackpot 2 into 1, and the new S n S oil puml and cam plate.

Whichever way you decide, I would highly recommend installing a new S n S oil pump and plate. It's just good insurance.
Just my opinion (based on multiple reports here, other forums, personal friends who've had issues, etc.) but I would definetely not install the HD stage III. If your willing to spend big bore money, go with a 120 from from a reputable builder and use the cam they recommend for their big bore.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:26 AM
Doctor_Yes
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just thought I would confuse you further because I don’t know your budget or what work you are comfortable doing yourself. Have you considered option C or D?

C. Do a budget 117. Buy pre bored 117 cylinders on eBay for 199.95 shipped. Buy piston set from online vendor. Buy all lifters, rods, cam, retainers, gasket, clutch from directcycleparts.com (when you call, you get awesome prices) and find local shop to do install and tune.

D. Buy 120 cylinder and piston kit here:
http://www.suburbanharley.com/wiscon...ilwaukee-eight
And get the can you want. Get rest of parts from eBay or directcycleparts.com. Have local shop do install. If you want it to be even cheaper, open a Harley Visa card with 0% interest for one year, and buy what you can through the suburban Harley dealership (pretty much one of the kits only). You will get close to $200 to spend from the points from your purchases there because it’s technically a Harley dealership, and if you can negotiate with your local cool dealership, you can get points for the service too. 3 points for stuff bought or done through Harley, 1 point for every dollar you spend at other places. You won’t have TB or heads, but lots of displacement and a good platform to build from.

I went with option E, which is pretty close to D. I bought stage 4 kit with Harley card, dealership is giving me credit back for the stuff I’m not using from the kit that they can resell (cam, lifters, clutch; they can’t resell the pistons, but you may be able to on eBay or here) and use the tb, gasket set, Screamin Eagle heads, etc. and send your 114 cylinders off to be bored to 120 (suburban Harley will do it for around 230 and pistons are 389) and buy other stuff you need through sites listed above and use the points to help pay for install. I think my 120 build installed with every single thing I wanted worked out to be around $4350 installed after tax, but before I use my points. Should make it about $4100 installed total AFTER tax. I can’t do crap myself and don’t have time, so I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Last edited by Doctor_Yes; 08-16-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by Saguaro
If you're going to do a big bore you should call Nigel at Patrick Racing in Prescott since you live in Arizona. (928)277-8281. That's within driving distance from almost anywhere in AZ and it will save you some shipping. Otherwise, rather than a Harley stage III I would go with one of FuelMoto's big bore kits. I can assure you they do a much better job of fitting the pistons to the cylinders than what you will get with a Harley kit. If you PM me I'll send you an e-mail address so you can contact me directly.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:35 AM
Doctor_Yes
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
If you're going to do a big bore you should call Nigel at Patrick Racing in Prescott since you live in Arizona. (928)277-8281. That's within driving distance from almost anywhere in AZ and it will save you some shipping. Otherwise, rather than a Harley stage III I would go with one of FuelMoto's big bore kits. I can assure you they do a much better job of fitting the pistons to the cylinders than what you will get with a Harley kit. If you PM me I'll send you an e-mail address so you can contact me directly.
suburban matches their pistons to their cylinders too. They have the proper cam plates and cnc on site, and they match to their cylinders. In fact, I believe you can order their 120 kit with pistons and cylinders (998.84 free shipping no tax), and get the rest of the stuff from Fuel Moto or directcycleparts.com online and come in under msrp of the stage 3 kit, but have more displacement and better lifters, springs, cam, pushrods.

edit: crap. I think injectors may put you over.
2nd edit: stage 3 doesn’t come with injectors either lol
final edit, I have to get work done: parting everything out with the 120 kit from suburban and other stuff through direct, you should be at $1550 without install. Msrp of stage 3 kit is 1595.95

Last edited by Doctor_Yes; 08-16-2018 at 10:56 AM.