Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V, Possibly Warranty-Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 03:45 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Agoober
Every aftermarket tuner makes a "footprint" that if looked for will be found.There is one out there that is so close to the SE tuner it is very hard to see though.
Peace.
Not the PCV.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:16 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

The Power Commander is not a flash tuner, so it won't leave any footprint on the ECU. However, the Power Commander V needs to be installed, it needs to be attached to various sensors, which may mean splicing into wires, and that alone could theoretically be a "footprint" that could tip off the warranty police that a Power Commander was used.

If you can remove the PCV and all traces that it was ever installed off the bike, then I would presume that the warranty police would be unable to detect it. I don't know how you remove traces that a wire was spliced into the throttle body wire or whatever else may need to be done when installing a PC-V on any particular bike.

However, it still leaves the question open -- if your bike is running parts that would have required a tuner, and you have no evidence of a tuner, then -- what did you do? If you didn't run a tuner, then you may have damaged the bike by running it inappropriately lean or otherwise out of configuration. Your fault, so no warranty. So removing all trace of the tuner won't necessarily mean that you're "safe" from detection, they may still be able to deduce that you installed parts that either required a warranty-voiding aftermarket tune, or that those parts were the source of damage specifically because you didn't tune the bike properly for them...

Old 02-12-2019, 06:56 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

The PCV does not take splicing of anything. Plug it in and go.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:00 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

They didn't have an installation video on their site for the Harley; I looked at the installation video for a BMW and it spliced into the wires in the throttle body... if the Harley version doesn't need that, then yes that makes it all the more stealthy.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:55 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

The company has already said that using the product is of no benefit. So go ahead and use it. Let us know if you have any noticable gains. The risk reward ratio is not there.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:28 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold Forged
I've answered this before in another similar thread, to you specifically I believe, so I'm not sure why you are resurrecting this post. I actually do have an extended Harley sponsored warranty reaching out to 5 years. I might just bite the bullet in the Spring and complete Stage 1 with an Air Cleaner and SEPST. This may be adequate for the balance of the warranty coverage...if not, I'll get the Power Vision at the end of the 5 years.
Sorry to be redundant, but there are son many threads about the same subjects that I can't possibly remember all the ones I've posted and responded to from the past. Heck, sometimes its hard to remember what I responded to YESTERDAY.
But thanks for the response anyway. I appreciate it.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:34 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by SWMB
My thinking on this was leave my 17 RK stock until the factory warranty expired. By then you'd be fairly confident your bike wasn't a lemon then do whatever Stage upgrade you wanted with whatever after market parts you so desire. Thats the way I went and am very confident in this bike likely giving me many trouble free miles.
Gotcha! I guess it all depends too on how many miles you've ridden, or how many miles you may NOT have ridden, when the 2 yr warranty is up.
When you boil it all down, the decision really is do I have enough "stored up" cash to handle an expensive repair that may or may not happen, or do I want the safety peace of mind that a warranty provides if an expensive repair hits at an inappropriate financial time in life.

The following users liked this post:
SWMB (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 08:30 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cazador
The company has already said that using the product is of no benefit. So go ahead and use it. Let us know if you have any noticable gains. The risk reward ratio is not there.
Are you saying that the Dynojet people have said that a Power Commander 5 is of no benefit on a Harley?

Old 02-13-2019, 08:59 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Are you saying that the Dynojet people have said that a Power Commander 5 is of no benefit on a Harley?
I believe what was said is that the piggy back won't benefit the M8. It won't control enough parameters. But I could be wrong. I look at it this way. If it was worth a **** it would be selling like pancakes at I-HOP. Try one and let us know.

Go back and read post #2

Last edited by Cazador; 02-13-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:34 AM
Beerbar
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold Forged
Here is a reply I got from Fuel Moto with regard to many of my questions about the PCV:

The PCV is a piggy back system so everything it does is external to the ECM.
This means that the O2 sensors need to be unplugged or removed. It will have no affect on the bikes ECM.
We have not used a PCV on a M8 bike we have only used the Power Vision.
This means we would be loading the closest map that Dynojet has for your bike into the PCV.
I will recommend the Power Vision for your bike.
It is a flash tuner and the stock O2 sensors stay intact.
It can control 200 parameters versus the two that the PCV can control.
The PV takes a binary copy of the stock mapping and you can load that back into the bike and at the dealer level they cannot see that this has been done.

Did you folks notice the underlined section?
That comment would suggest that your Warranty might not be in jeopardy for using a Power Vision, provided that you reverted to your original/stock ECU map and removed the PV from the bike.
However, the phrase "at the dealer level they cannot see that this has been done" has me worried.
It would suggest that H-D corporate technicians or service representatives still have ways to detect that a map was written to the ECU even though it may have been removed.

HD can detect the changes. Just because the map file is identical doesn't mean the history of activity will not change.

Quick Reply: Power Commander V, Possibly Warranty-Safe?