Sponsored by:

17 FLTRU Stage 1 and possibly Stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 08:14 AM
intrepidxc
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 17 FLTRU Stage 1 and possibly Stage 2

After 1 year and 10k miles, I'm satisfied with my M8 and I'm ready for a stage 1 and possibly a stage 2. I've been working with FuelMoto and have narrowed things down to the following:

Stage 1
1. FM 2-1-2 ceramic coated head pipe
2. Either the FM Jackpot Outlaw, FM Hi-Rollers, or S&S Grand National mufflers
3. Power Vision (maybe with Target Tune)
4. Dyno

Stage 2
1. Woods 22X Cam

Before I pull the trigger I have a couple questions for the group.

1. Does anyone run the Outlaw, Hi-Rollers, or S&S Grand National mufflers? Since I use this bike for touring, I don't want something particularly loud. I'd like a little rumble like the HD Street Cannons when under throttle. Are any of my muffler choices going to be "loud"?
2. Does anyone have any experience with the PV and Target Tune? I'm on the fence about the Target Tune and wideband O2 sensors. They effectively double the cost of the tuning hardware and I'm not sure it's worth the expense. What are the communities thoughts?
3. Based on the dyno charts FM shared for a 107 M8 equipped with a similar exhaust and the Woods 22X cam it appears to put the torque right where I want it based on my riding style. Does anyone have experience with this cam?
4. Finally, if I do a cam upgrade does it make sense to replace the oil pump and the cam plate with either the fueling or S&S upgrades? I haven't had any sumping issues with my 107, but I'm not sure if I need to worry about it with the stage 2. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-08-2018, 08:38 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

The high rollers, paired with the jackpot header will be loud with a cam. They run good. If you’re already going to be in the cam chest, then I say upgrade the oil pump and cam plate

Old 08-08-2018, 08:52 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

If the cost of the Fueling or S&S pump doesn't bother you, I'd say you might as well do it while you're in there. I'm getting a new cam installed on Monday, but I'm putting the new HD oil pump in.

Don't forget the cost of lifters with your Stage 2.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:19 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I have 22x fuelmoto 2 1 2 header and high rollers.
they do get loud when you pass or run hard.
but when cruising they are not that loud,
fuelmoto has some dB reducers for the high rollers.
think they run about 40 bucks,I’m going to give them a try to see if they quit it down a little.
just a little too loud for me like they are.
Thought about stock mufflers back on to see how it sounds with the 22x cam,don’t mind loosing a little power if it will quite it down some.
As far as target tune,I think with a map from fuelmoto will have it so close I wouldn’t spend the money on target tune.
Now this is all my opinion so you may have a different idea how you want it to sound.
M8 sounds really good with cams and high rollers,and runs amazing with fuelmoto map in it with a couple of auto tunes.
Good luck with whatever you do.

The following users liked this post:
intrepidxc (08-10-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

OP, what kind of A/C you think go getting?

Once my warranty is over I’m thinking of the same setup from Fuel Moto except for MK45 exhaust from S&S. A/C would be Arlen Ness Method Clear.

I love the profile of the Woods 22X, lots of low end torque.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:08 PM
intrepidxc
Cruiser

I'm running the HD Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner. I like the look of the stock 107 cover and the dealer included the Harley Stage I with my purchase.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:09 PM
intrepidxc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rdc401
I have 22x fuelmoto 2 1 2 header and high rollers.
they do get loud when you pass or run hard.
but when cruising they are not that loud,
fuelmoto has some dB reducers for the high rollers.
think they run about 40 bucks,I’m going to give them a try to see if they quit it down a little.
just a little too loud for me like they are.
Thought about stock mufflers back on to see how it sounds with the 22x cam,don’t mind loosing a little power if it will quite it down some.
As far as target tune,I think with a map from fuelmoto will have it so close I wouldn’t spend the money on target tune.
Now this is all my opinion so you may have a different idea how you want it to sound.
M8 sounds really good with cams and high rollers,and runs amazing with fuelmoto map in it with a couple of auto tunes.
Good luck with whatever you do.
Thanks. I think I'm going to skip the target tune. Spent some time with my local HD dealer and independents working up pricing for the install as winter work. We'll see what they come back with, or I may do the install myself.