Sponsored by:

M8 Engine Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:56 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts
Default M8 Engine Diagram

Anybody know where there is a good M8 Engine diagram or blueprint?
I guess the shop manual would have something close, but looking for things like oil circulation diagrams, etc.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:25 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
I guess the shop manual would have something close, but looking for things like oil circulation diagrams, etc.
I have the oil circulation diagram I think, but it is on my work computer, so I can't post it until tomorrow. Maybe somebody else has it that could post it today.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:16 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Do a search on google. There are pics out of the shop manual that show the cooling and internal flow path.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:01 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

The manual I bought won't be here until later this week. But there is some good info, including oil/coolant flow in this article: https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-da...ig-twin-engine

Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

I found this. Pretty informative. It really does not look as if the oil cooling scheme does much, but I am not an engineer. I will surely compare the heat of the engine on my legs between my 2009 Dyna and the new Heritage. The 2009 Dyna ran pretty hot.

https://thunderpress.net/motorcycles...2016/10/07.htm

Old 07-16-2018, 04:41 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
The manual I bought won't be here until later this week. But there is some good info, including oil/coolant flow in this article: https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-da...ig-twin-engine
Let me nip one thing in bud. This is FALSE:

"Small details are important. In the past, if the oil was overfilled, excess oil could wet the air filter via the breather. This has now been rerouted through the transmission case."

Yet we still have people around here that believes it's true. The M8 vents just like the previous Twin Cams, into the INTAKE.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:39 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
Here is what I have:

Old 03-15-2020, 06:32 PM
18deluxerider
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Okay fellas. so as i look at the diagram the oil exits the crankcase and there is a check valve right there. now we have the culprit I will tell you all that this is a issue the old bsa's used to have.the issue with the check valve sticking due to customers not changing the oil. Now I see people are replacing the oil pump at 10k but if the bike exhibits sumping. So I look at the diagram and #1 component is the check valve. So if this fails it will olnly be in the cooling circuit. so you will see no clattering. and it will purge out. and you may notice initial start up to shut down and check oil my bet is that it is aerated. and looks air foamed. So I think that this post should may end up being the one that enlightened. the drain back sump mystery. it is accumulative from the cooling system and that is why it takes time to fail.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:58 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,602 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by 18deluxerider
Okay fellas. so as i look at the diagram the oil exits the crankcase and there is a check valve right there. now we have the culprit I will tell you all that this is a issue the old bsa's used to have.the issue with the check valve sticking due to customers not changing the oil. Now I see people are replacing the oil pump at 10k but if the bike exhibits sumping. So I look at the diagram and #1 component is the check valve. So if this fails it will olnly be in the cooling circuit. so you will see no clattering. and it will purge out. and you may notice initial start up to shut down and check oil my bet is that it is aerated. and looks air foamed. So I think that this post should may end up being the one that enlightened. the drain back sump mystery. it is accumulative from the cooling system and that is why it takes time to fail.
It's a shame that they can't hire all the the engineering geniuses that hang out on the forums. And it's a 2 year old post that you commented on.

Last edited by Keithhu; 03-15-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:05 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,137 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
It's a shame that they can't hire all the the engineering geniuses that hang out on the forums. And it's a 2 year old post that you commented on.
If it means saving the company, I'll do it for half of what i'm making now, so long as they allow me to work in Dallas
This is not the first time this person has resurrected dead posts tonight.

Quick Reply: M8 Engine Diagram