Sponsored by:

Rear Jug oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 PM
BikerPop1
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear Jug oil leak

Let me start by saying I have over 10k miles on my 2017 RK and love it more each time I ride it.

So I'm just about home after a 200 mile ride and while at a rest stop this guy walks up to me and starts talking about the M8 and how he loves his TriGlide that he has put 3k miles on so far. I tell him mine has been trouble free and it will be going in for its 10,000 mile service the next day, I brag that all I've had to do for the last 5k miles was add gas, air-up every few weeks and added a 1/2 quart of oil a few ounces at a time. He tells me he has heard of cylinder oil leak problems with M8s, I tell him he should ride more and hang out on forums less - I tell him look at mine, it's never leaked any oil; we look and I see two streaks of oil on the rear exhaust header pipe and then he sees a sheen of oil on the chrome transmission cover. When I get home I check the oil level and it's fine and the next morning I see an oil spot on the garage floor - first time my bike ever marked the floor (other than the jiffy stand).

Took it in for the 10k mile service last Friday and to have them check the just started oil leak after 10,034 miles. Sure enough, the rear cylinder required the replacement of the Rocker, Head and Base gaskets. They repaired it under warranty (6.1 hours and they called the repair "Replaced Rear Cylinder Base Gasket"). Picked it up today and it looks brand new (they detailed the bike) and it ran like a champ, no leak, in 100+ degree weather on my way home.

This is not meant as a bashing thread, the sky is not falling, in fact the M8 continues to exceed my expectations. When I got home last Friday I did a search on this M8 forum and did not find any thread that spoke about a cylinder leaking oil through cylinder gaskets so I thought I would post this as an FYI.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:57 AM
snowdevil23
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had the same issue on my 17, but it was blow back dripping from the air filter. check your bottom of your filter to see if its oil soaked. everytime I got on the highway to work , get to work and look down on pipe, oil on the rear cylinder pipe and right below air cleaner on cover. hope yours is fixed.