Sponsored by:

21" Wheel on Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018 | 10:46 PM
satxrider
|
Tourer
Default 21" Wheel on Touring

I have perused and searched the "Wheels and Tires" section of the forum, but was unable to find any threads regarding this, so I decided to try here.
I am considering going to a 21" wheel on my 2107 RG and was wondering if anyone has done this, and if so, what are your thoughts. Most of what I have been able to find dealt with going to a 21" wheel on the old touring models when they came with a 18" stock front wheel.
How is the handling at low and higher speeds?
Would I have to lower my front forks?
I don't have ABS, so I assume I will be OK in that area.
Are there any other considerations to be aware of? I don't want to start a project that is going to end up costing more than I originally anticipated.
Thanks to all for your thoughts and experience in this matter.

Old 07-04-2018 | 10:57 PM
Doshounds
Tourer

I have considered doing the same to my RG. It is not required to lower the front suspension but I would not add a 21 without doing so. My research led me to the Legends Axeo 21" front kit. You will regain the correct trail and improve the handling of your bike at the same time. Once you lower the front and regain the correct trail of your bike it will handle as it did before. To do it the right way I could not get the conversion under 2500-3 grand. That included wheel, tire, suspension, and wrapper fender. In the end I have decided to "waste" my 3 grand on other parts of my bike for the time being. I will eventually circle back around to this mod. Post up pics of yours when your done!

Last edited by Doshounds; 07-04-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2018 | 10:59 PM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member

My 09 ultra classic has a 21" front tire, I dont have anything to compare it to but it seems great to me since Ive had it.

Old 07-04-2018 | 11:05 PM
satxrider
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Doshounds
I have considered doing the same to my RG. It is not required to lower the front suspension but I would not add a 21 without doing so. My research led me to the Legends Axeo 21" front kit. You will regain the correct trail and improve the handling of your bike at the same time.
I just went to their site. Are you referencing the 1" lowering kit?

Old 07-04-2018 | 11:12 PM
Doshounds
Tourer

Originally Posted by satxrider
I just went to their site. Are you referencing the 1" lowering kit?
I was referring to their suspension system. It is the Axeo21 for the 17 up touring bikes. IMHO, if you are taking the suspension apart you might as well do it the right way and upgrade while it's apart.

Old 07-04-2018 | 11:31 PM
satxrider
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Doshounds

I was referring to their suspension system. It is the Axeo21 for the 17 up touring bikes. IMHO, if you are taking the suspension apart you might as well do it the right way and upgrade while it's apart.
Found it. I agree with you on doing the job the right way from the start. I am planning on dropping the bike off for a week while on a family vacation. Having the fork legs powder coated as well. That way it will look all pretty for me when I get back.

Old 07-05-2018 | 12:35 AM
dnespolo
Cruiser

I don't believe you need to lower any front suspension to go 21". I believe the RG screaming eagle come with a 21" front and the same suspension of the other Turings. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-05-2018 | 01:42 AM
Psycho Dave
Cruiser
Old 07-05-2018 | 01:46 AM
Psycho Dave
Cruiser

Couldn't figure out how to post pics and info but that's a 21 at stock ride height. I am 6'1" so it doesnt bother me. Wouldn't mind adding the taller rear shocks too. Low n slow not my style.

Old 07-05-2018 | 05:32 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by satxrider
Found it. I agree with you on doing the job the right way from the start. I am planning on dropping the bike off for a week while on a family vacation. Having the fork legs powder coated as well. That way it will look all pretty for me when I get back.
I have the legends 21Ko front, not cheap but well worth the money. My first kit had a issue with being to high.Legends replaced the kit and paid the labor. It wasen't hassle free but they did pay for everything.

Last edited by tbob; 07-05-2018 at 05:36 AM.

Quick Reply: 21" Wheel on Touring