Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation of S&S M8 cam plate & pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 11:49 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,167 Likes on 1,359 Posts

S&S instructions state the same .003 runout spec they originally noted for their TC3 Twin Cam plate & pump, however their technical dept states they will work up to .005". For reference all of the M8 cranks we have measured have been well within .003", the bike in this thread was just over .002"

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following 3 users liked this post by fuelmoto:
lyork (07-05-2018), MotoJockey (07-05-2018), South107 (03-02-2020)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:24 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 975 Likes on 559 Posts

Thanks Jamie. I just ordered the S&S pump and plate, along with a bunch of other goodies from FM, and your timing with this thread is perfect.

Last edited by MTBIG G; 07-06-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:34 AM
Adam76
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Stock cam plate & pump removed. Note cam, lifters & pushrods are in place. You do not need to remove them, this bike already has an upgraded cam bearing & components.

hi jamie,
thanks for the write up! 👍
at the point in this picture, can you install a new cam without removing issue pushrods etc... or is that a whole nother job?
i was just thinking while I'm in there...

Last edited by Adam76; 07-06-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:10 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 283 Likes on 182 Posts

No, cam swap = would need stock pushrods to be cut & replaced with adjustable

Old 07-06-2018, 05:43 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by yobtaf103
No, cam swap = would need stock pushrods to be cut & replaced with adjustable
. Well it can be done....if your not doing it everyday better left to a pro flat rate guy. It's pretty tricky. It involves a bet more knowledge than Joe average and you risk a bent valve if you do screw up...all I am gonna say.
Let Jamie explain but I am sure he would even frown on joe average doing it. It's been done in a Dyno cell before.
Thanks Jamie for the time u spent doing this!!!

Old 07-06-2018, 06:54 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Could someone be kind enough to explain the "Dual Scavenger" pick up system on this S&S set up that I her about that make it better than the Fueling set up? It's probably apparent to most, but I'm not so familiar with that aspect of these two pumps. TIA.........

Old 07-06-2018, 07:44 AM
psoff
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam76
hi jamie,
thanks for the write up! 👍
at the point in this picture, can you install a new cam without removing issue pushrods etc... or is that a whole nother job?
i was just thinking while I'm in there...
Wouldn't it be nice to have some type of tool that could be installed to hold the lifters up so that the cam could be pulled with out touching the push rods? Something that like rotates in over the cam and then bolts to the case then allowing you to pull the cam out. Hum....I wonder if that is possible. That would save a lot of time and money.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:10 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

That’s about as straightforward as it gets, I’ll be doing mine pretty soon 👍🏻

Old 07-06-2018, 09:18 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Could someone be kind enough to explain the "Dual Scavenger" pick up system on this S&S set up that I her about that make it better than the Fueling set up? It's probably apparent to most, but I'm not so familiar with that aspect of these two pumps. TIA.........
The stock pump has two scavenging pickups, one for the cam case and one for the sump in the crankcase. It only has one scavenging gerotor which is the pump pulling on both pickups. So if the cam case gets pumped dry the pump will suck air on that side which can cause it to lose prime on the crankcase side which will result in sumping. Try putting two soda straws in your mouth, one shorter than the other. When the liquid gets below the short straw it will be harder or impossible to suck liquid through the other straw as long as you are pulling through both.

The S&S pump has a gerotor or pump for each pickup which makes it more unlikely the sump side will lose its prime. The money invested in it when doing any upgrades or even if it is your only upgrade is well spent in my opinion.

On the TwinCam they managed to counter this by making the sump pickup longer and smaller which also helped counter the variances in crankcase pressure caused by the pistons going up and down. The M8 just has a big hole on the right case where the oil pump connects. Harley has tried making the oil pump pickup smaller, whether that is working I can't say. Also, that's why if you idle it on the side stand there may be some extra oil collect in the sump. The S&S won't keep that from happening, but it should clear it soon after you stand the bike up straight.

The following 11 users liked this post by $tonecold:
betho61 (07-07-2018), FatBob2018 (07-06-2018), George Vee (07-06-2018), Lu (07-07-2018), lyork (07-07-2018), madmat (07-06-2018), OzHD (07-07-2018), PirateRider (07-07-2018), RJ111 (07-06-2018), South107 (03-02-2020), TC05 (11-21-2019) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:56 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
The stock pump has two scavenging pickups, one for the cam case and one for the sump in the crankcase. It only has one scavenging gerotor which is the pump pulling on both pickups. So if the cam case gets pumped dry the pump will suck air on that side which can cause it to lose prime on the crankcase side which will result in sumping. Try putting two soda straws in your mouth, one shorter than the other. When the liquid gets below the short straw it will be harder or impossible to suck liquid through the other straw as long as you are pulling through both.

The S&S pump has a gerotor or pump for each pickup which makes it more unlikely the sump side will lose its prime. The money invested in it when doing any upgrades or even if it is your only upgrade is well spent in my opinion.

On the TwinCam they managed to counter this by making the sump pickup longer and smaller which also helped counter the variances in crankcase pressure caused by the pistons going up and down. The M8 just has a big hole on the right case where the oil pump connects. Harley has tried making the oil pump pickup smaller, whether that is working I can't say. Also, that's why if you idle it on the side stand there may be some extra oil collect in the sump. The S&S won't keep that from happening, but it should clear it soon after you stand the bike up straight.
great explanation right there. Thanks Stone.

Quick Reply: Installation of S&S M8 cam plate & pump