Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't remove the stock air cleaner cover!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 08:44 PM
FLshovelhead
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 44 Posts
Angry Can't remove the stock air cleaner cover!

A few days back I picked up a 2017 Ultra Limited that only had 155 miles on the clock. The bike is stock, with no modifications. Today I tried to remove the factory air cleaner cover, but when I went to remove the center bolt (part number 8 in the picture below) it would spin freely but the bolt would not back out. I could feel light resistance / dragging as the bolt rotates.
​​​​​​

It's possible that the threaded portion of the air cleaner element (part 9) is stripped, but even when I pull at the chrome air cleaner cover (part 10) while spinning the center bolt the cover remains in place and wont come off.

Has anybody else ran in to this? Am I missing something here? I'd love to not have to drill out a bolt on my brand new bike....

Old 07-01-2018, 09:01 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

part number 8 appears to be the vent assembly ? part number 3? Yes possible.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:01 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,343 Likes on 4,767 Posts

Originally Posted by FLshovelhead
A few days back I picked up a 2017 Ultra Limited that only had 155 miles on the clock. The bike is stock, with no modifications. Today I tried to remove the factory air cleaner cover, but when I went to remove the center bolt (part number 8 in the picture below) it would spin freely but the bolt would not back out. I could feel light resistance / dragging as the bolt rotates.
​​​​​​

It's possible that the threaded portion of the air cleaner element (part 9) is stripped, but even when I pull at the chrome air cleaner cover (part 10) while spinning the center bolt the cover remains in place and wont come off.

Has anybody else ran in to this? Am I missing something here? I'd love to not have to drill out a bolt on my brand new bike....
part #8 is the breather tube, you mean #3 right, that bolts into the air filter? I'm guessing the threaded bronze bushing in the air cleaner lost its grip and that's what's turning...see if you can use a flat head screwdriver to apply outward pressure on the bolt while turning with the allen wrench or if there's enough room, better yet, use small vise grips on the bolt while pulling and turning..or let the dealer fix it under warranty..then you're only going to need a $20 replacement filter..I serviced both of ours many times before going with the SE ACs and never had that happen..good luck

Old 07-01-2018, 09:30 PM
FLshovelhead
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jammerx
part number 8 appears to be the vent assembly ? part number 3? Yes possible.
Yup, part number 3. Don't know how I managed to fat-finger that one.

Originally Posted by mjwebb
part #8 is the breather tube, you mean #3 right, that bolts into the air filter? I'm guessing the threaded bronze bushing in the air cleaner lost its grip and that's what's turning...see if you can use a flat head screwdriver to apply outward pressure on the bolt while turning with the allen wrench or if there's enough room, better yet, use small vise grips on the bolt while pulling and turning..or let the dealer fix it under warranty..then you're only going to need a $20 replacement filter..I serviced both of ours many times before going with the SE ACs and never had that happen..good luck
I tried slipping a small screwdriver under the head of the bolt to apply pressure / lever as I turned with my wrench and only managed to put a (small) scratch in the air cleaner cover in the process. I think you're spot on that the bushing is spinning inside the plastic of the air cleaner. If I could get the damn thing off I'd jbweld the bushing in place. I hate to take the bike to the dealer within the first week of owning it, but I guess that's what warranties are for.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:41 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLshovelhead
Yup, part number 3. Don't know how I managed to fat-finger that one.

I tried slipping a small screwdriver under the head of the bolt to apply pressure / lever as I turned with my wrench and only managed to put a (small) scratch in the air cleaner cover in the process. I think you're spot on that the bushing is spinning inside the plastic of the air cleaner. If I could get the damn thing off I'd jbweld the bushing in place. I hate to take the bike to the dealer within the first week of owning it, but I guess that's what warranties are for.
yeah, bummer..maybe squirt some wd 40 in the threads..probably can't get channel locks on the bolt without scratching the chrome.....going forward just a drop of blue loctite on the tip of the bolt threads and don't over tighten is all it needs..they must have put that sucker on really tight at the factory..that's a tough one, out of ideas

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-01-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:07 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I had the same issue on my 2017. The first service came up when I was on a trip so I stopped at a dealer to get it done. The insert in the filter just spun. I suspect a lot of thread locker was the culprit. They ended up replacing the cover, filter and bold under warranty.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:22 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

digging deep here..but is there enough space to wrap some bailing wire around the bolt twice and have the loose ends meet, twist them and pull and twist with pliers? I think if you could somehow get some outward pressure towards you it might just break loose enough in the threads to come out, but probably a long shot.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:29 PM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Why screw with it... its under warranty. Take it in. Let them demolish the assembly to get it apart and replace everything. Because as soon as YOU demolish the assembly to get it apart, YOU will be replacing it as the dealer will wash their hands of it.

The following 2 users liked this post by rjacobs:
Hawg Runner (07-30-2019), smitty901 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 10:42 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Take in, they will have plenty of take-offs from new bikes from people who dumped that goats *** ugly air box before they took delivery of the bike.

The following users liked this post:
not_so_newb (07-03-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 08:23 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,775 Likes on 1,602 Posts

If you're determined to get it out yourself, try this. Chuck up a bolt with a 5/16 hex head in a drill. Some high speed clockwise/counterclockwise rotation, while pulling on the cover "might" free it up. The high speed rotation should allow the brass insert to grind away the remaining plastic that's holding it in place.

If it pops off, I wouldn't mess with the JB Weld, when a new element can be had for $20.

Quick Reply: Can't remove the stock air cleaner cover!