Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't remove the stock air cleaner cover!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:28 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,974 Likes on 4,166 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Take in, they will have plenty of take-offs from new bikes from people who dumped that goats *** ugly air box before they took delivery of the bike.
Sure that helps. Now he needs a new air box...Haaa

Old 07-02-2018, 11:36 AM
BigT12
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

An air impact driver I’d reverse might do the trick.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:37 AM
BigT12
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

An air impact driver in reverse might do the trick.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:24 AM
FLshovelhead
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
I had the same issue on my 2017. The first service came up when I was on a trip so I stopped at a dealer to get it done. The insert in the filter just spun. I suspect a lot of thread locker was the culprit.
Originally Posted by rjacobs
Why screw with it... its under warranty. Take it in. Let them demolish the assembly to get it apart and replace everything. Because as soon as YOU demolish the assembly to get it apart, YOU will be replacing it as the dealer will wash their hands of it.
Take in, they will have plenty of take-offs from new bikes from people who dumped that goats *** ugly air box before they took delivery of the bike.
Originally Posted by barneyboy
Chuck up a bolt with a 5/16 hex head in a drill. Some high speed clockwise/counterclockwise rotation, while pulling on the cover "might" free it up. The high speed rotation should allow the brass insert to grind away the remaining plastic that's holding it in place.
Originally Posted by BigT12
An air impact driver I’d reverse might do the trick.

The feedback from you guys was spot on! I took it to the service department of Savannah, GA HD yesterday. They ended up hooking an air impact driver and hammering/spinning the bolt in reverse at high speed. It was probably the mechanical action that allowed the bolt to come free (after only 5-10 seconds with the impact wrench), but the friction from the bolt fighting being stuck inside the threaded insert of the element also caused the temperature to raise dramatically, allowing the blue loctite applied at the factory to melt. I was shocked at how hot the threaded brass insert the element got during the process; it was too hot to hold my finger on.

They said that they've seen it happen a few times before due to the loctite that the factory buts on the bolt. They ended up grabbing another filter laying around from a stage one air cleaner swap, running my air cleaner bolt on a wire wheel to make sure any remaining blue loctite was off the threads, and then launching me down the road without doing any warranty paperwork. They couldn't have been more helpful / professional in the process.

So, I'm back in business and no longer getting my *** kicked by one tiny bolt. Thanks for the help guys.

The following 2 users liked this post by FLshovelhead:
Cosmic Razorback (07-03-2018), TwiZted Biker (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 09:17 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Glad it worked out now dump that air box Made them change mine as part of the deal before I rode off on it.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:21 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
Why screw with it... its under warranty. Take it in. Let them demolish the assembly to get it apart and replace everything. Because as soon as YOU demolish the assembly to get it apart, YOU will be replacing it as the dealer will wash their hands of it.
Don't f with it, let them do it........

Old 07-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Glad it worked out now dump that air box Made them change mine as part of the deal before I rode off on it.
I know many hate the new AC. I think they look good. I also like the reflectors on the forks.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:19 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

for future reference the answer is always 'use a bigger hammer'
and yeah , swap that cleaner and cover . the SE one is pretty nice .

Old 07-30-2019, 05:10 PM
newzealand
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for this, the same has happened to me. I installed a SE air cleaner and found that when I put my original (beautiful) chrome cover back on it was spinning and loose. After trying to tighten an extra couple of threads I figured it must have broke the bush inside. I dont want to trash the chrome cover but picked up a 2nd hand one for $50 in case. I will try the above. Best from New Zealand.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:36 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I also like and prefer the stock air box cover. I’ve had mine off many times. Never a problem. I see no reason for loctite on that screw. I’ve learned not to trust every torque spec for every fastener. Simple easy hand tight does it, and it will never come loose.

Quick Reply: Can't remove the stock air cleaner cover!