Sponsored by:

What the sump is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 AM
pardus
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Angry What the sump is going on?

I have an 18 road glide special i bought last fall, currently 7000 miles on it. I have been experiencing some issues and not totally sure I understand exactly what the sumping issue is and if it is happening. Stock engine and exhaust with a RSD air kit. Would much appreciate some feedback.

Didnt really check any fluids prior to first service, had that done by the dealer, didnt verify levels after service.
A few hundred miles later, accelerating from a stop, loss of power for a second and a poof of smoke. Weird I thought but bike rode fine after, no error codes, continued to ride.

Around 3500 mile mark noticed the engine was hotter than it had been especially because it was 50ºF out. Checked the oil and was down over a quart. Added a quart which brought it a few dots below full. The next day my oil light came on and code P0523 which is low oil pressure. I checked my oil which seemed ok and cleared the code. It didnt come back. A buddy picked me up to ride and headed out with only 20 seconds of warm up from cold start. He stopped me and said I was blowing smoke. I stopped and sure enough, blowing a good amount of blue smoke, not condensation, definitely oil. after a minute or so was fine.

I took it into the dealer, they kept it for a couple days, said they couldn't replicate it and everything was fine. Moco policy is burning 1 quart oil per 1000 miles is within spec. They did say I was down another quart of oil and topped me up. I picked up the bike, it was cold at that point, started it up and did a couple throttle twists and sure enough, billows of grey smoke. Called service manager and a tech out and they were now concerned. Told me to take the bike home while they waited for Moco to get back with an answer. Otherwise, bike is running great. I get to work and check the oil, way over filled. Call them up and talked to the senior tech that worked on my bike and he says there is no way that he overfilled my oil. I went to the dollar store and got a turkey baster and pulled out well over half a quart to bring it to a couple dots below full while warmish.

I was due for second service so did that myself. Changed from Synth 3 to Amsoil. Transmission was not showing on the dipstick, drained and measured and was a couple ounces short. I hadn't previously checked that after first service so dont have reference if it lost any. When I took off the derby cover (yes it was upright), oil was full just enough to trickle over. Took out about 5 extra ounces and was darker than I would expect. Where is that extra oil coming from?

Dealer said that they want me to come back after 1800 miles and see how things are. I am at 1000 miles since I did second service and the oil light with code P0523 came on last night. Pulled over right away and checked oil and was just over halfway. I was only a few miles from home so continued on. This morning fired it up and no oil light but code still there. Going to call service this morning.

So the first incident sounds like a sump issue from what I read but only happened once and otherwise been riding great. It does run hot but is my first touring bike and not sure how to compare it to a TC or evo.

Seems like I have had some oil transfer to primary, now is this related to sumping or is this a different issue?

I read somewhere about oil getting left in the crankcase I think? is this a reason why the tech added too much, oil was sitting somewhere and then got brought back and then was overfilled? Not sure I quite understand that scenario?

fyi, here is the video with blue smoke.

What should I be saying/demanding from my dealer and making sure I am not getting screwed?

Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

It may indeed be sumping. If it is, the oil is in the engine sump and not in the oil pan; that would cause someone to think it is low on oil when checked. I would advise you to mention service bulletin M1450 to the dealer in case they are not aware of it. In that procedure, the tech is instructed to remove the crank position sensor (CPS) and observe how much oil comes out. Good luck!

The low oil pressure code would certainly fit with the above scenario.

Last edited by VDeuce; 06-19-2018 at 10:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pardus (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 10:43 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior

And the trans fluid migration is a separate issue with no known fix from HD. They will top it off and tell you to return in 1000 miles. $tonecold, a member here, has an aftermarket fix for this. Also a 3-piece pushrod from a 2014 CVO seems to work as well. Neither of these will do your warranty any good though.

Last edited by VDeuce; 06-19-2018 at 10:44 AM.
pardus (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:40 PM
pardus
Cruiser

Thanks. Dealer came and picked up the bike, referenced what you mentioned and they said that sounds good and what they were thinking. fingers crossed.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:02 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Good Luck pardus.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:56 PM
pardus
Cruiser

Heard back from the dealer and they said the problem is a main shaft seal failure and are replacing it. I am not exactly sure if this is a fix all or something. they say they see no signs of sumping... after I pick up and get some miles will post back.

stixvrad (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 03:59 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,966 Likes on 3,601 Posts

Originally Posted by pardus
Heard back from the dealer and they said the problem is a main shaft seal failure and are replacing it. I am not exactly sure if this is a fix all or something. they say they see no signs of sumping... after I pick up and get some miles will post back.

That'd be great of thats all it was..

pardus (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 03:59 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior

It'll be back, that's not it. Been done on other bikes and didn't fix the problem. Do you have access to a better dealer?

pardus (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 04:07 PM
pardus
Cruiser

I am up in western Canada and only 3 dealers within 1 hour drive. Would it help with some of the transfer to primary I was having? Not sure what it would do with the low oil pressure in engine though. seems like I am having more than one issue. Would prefer to stay with the same dealer as I do have a relationship there, if it comes back, at least will be well documented. 16 months of warranty left.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:11 PM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

nice try dealer, but no cheeze. it will come back, just keep riding and documenting.

pardus (06-20-2018)

Quick Reply: What the sump is going on?