Sponsored by:

clutch questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018 | 07:57 AM
buelldude
|
Cruiser
Default clutch questions 2017

So I have searched for a few hours on an issue I had this morning. I pulled the bike out to go to work (bike is always in neutral in garage) parked it in the driveway and put on my gear. I get on the bike that is running, pull in the clutch and put it in gear. The bike shuts off and I let go of the clutch lever. I pull it in and it goes right to the bar with no resistance. I say that master cylinder isn't working, I don't know how this system works because its my first Harley with this type of setup. What is on the other end of this setup? I just turned 15K on the bike. Is there any issues with this setup? The bike has been fine, didn't have any thing going on before this.
2017 flhtkl, 15k miles no add ons.

What do you think?

Old 06-18-2018 | 08:32 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior

There are reports of hydraulic issues with the master. If it's still under warranty, take it in or have it picked up. Under the transmission side cover, there is a slave actuator that pushes the clutch release pushrod. It too could be bad.

Last edited by VDeuce; 06-18-2018 at 08:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
buelldude (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018 | 08:35 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Did the clutch recover?

The following users liked this post:
buelldude (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018 | 08:46 AM
buelldude
|
Cruiser

no it didn't recover

Old 06-18-2018 | 08:49 AM
buelldude
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by VDeuce
There are reports of hydraulic issues with the master. If it's still under warranty, take it in or have it picked up. Under the transmission side cover, there is a slave actuator that pushes the clutch release pushrod. It too could be bad.
ok, same as some of my other bikes not in my sig.

Old 06-18-2018 | 08:51 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by buelldude
no it didn't recover
There have been reports of low fluid if you’re having the dealer do your services. Seems they don’t look at the master cylinder level. If it is still under warranty I would let the dealer fix it.

Old 06-18-2018 | 09:53 AM
buelldude
|
Cruiser

just called the dealer, they can get me in tomorrow. this time of year they are normally booked for a month????

Old 06-18-2018 | 02:53 PM
buelldude
|
Cruiser

So------ I get home ready to pull out the trailer and guess what, clutch is back and seems to be fine????? So I take it out for a ride and its still good. I went and filled up and still working, so I ride to the dealer to let them make a call as to what is next. I figured they would say can't duplicate the problem so keep riding it till it happens again. I pull in and the dealer says they want to check the moisture in the clutch fluid, hmmm sounds like they have seen this before. I'm going to take it back to the dealer after my better half gets home, don't have to take the trailer out.
Has anyone been in this spot?

Old 06-18-2018 | 03:23 PM
billbrummett
Tourer

had it happen on my Honda Civic. it was the slave cylinder, I wouldn't ride it. it will happen again unless fixed.

Old 06-19-2018 | 11:25 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I just installed the ‘17 model master and slave cylinders on my 2015 RGS and I noticed that the manual says that the DOT4 fluid should not be used out of a brand new container that is over a year old or an opened container that is more than a week old from initial opening. I guess it is very susceptible to absorbing moisture. The fluid I had had been open two weeks, but since it was Arizona I figured the humidity was low enough to get an extra week out of it. So if you have the dealer service your bike and they’re not aware of this they may be adding fluid that has been open for more than a week and in the process adding moisture to your system.

Quick Reply: clutch questions 2017