Sponsored by:

S&S Oil Pump and Cam Plate Two Weeks Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:41 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,978 Likes on 4,045 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
So what is your assessment Max, will this pump help significantly to keep an M8 from sumping?

My guess is that it will... I also like the idea of the wear plate on the cam plate..

Old 06-25-2018, 10:57 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
My guess is that it will... I also like the idea of the wear plate on the cam plate..
So the wear plate is to allow some give to allow for the crank runout being on the big end of Harley's allowances?

Old 06-25-2018, 11:10 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

So the wear plate is to allow some give to allow for the crank runout being on the big end of Harley's allowances?
I think it's more for a slightly harder surface that the pressure side of pump can run against. Anything kind of debris that comes from the motor and is not picked up by the drain plug magnet tends to scar that surface of the cam plate. With that surface and the bronze bushings, the plate is pretty much completely rebuildable.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:16 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I think it's more for a slightly harder surface that the pressure side of pump can run against. Anything kind of debris that comes from the motor and is not picked up by the drain plug magnet tends to scar that surface of the cam plate. With that surface and the bronze bushings, the plate is pretty much completely rebuildable.
So shouldn't the wear plate should be a softer metal that will wear instead of the pump or the cam plate wearing?

Old 06-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

So shouldn't the wear plate should be a softer metal that will wear instead of the pump or the cam plate wearing?
Well the wear plate is likely there to protect the cam plate. Since it is stationary to the cam plate there won't be any wear. As far as the wear plate to gerotor goes, it is likely softer than the gerotors but harder than any aluminum, plastic and most other stuff the pump might ingest. I'm not a mechanical engineer but even if they were the same hardness, there really isn't much force between the plate and the gerotors. It's not a heavy load bearing surface but more something a surface that can get some occasional crap going through it.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:31 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

It's a good setup. Look forward to get one of these setups...

Old 06-25-2018, 11:29 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by psyshack
It's a good setup. Look forward to get one of these setups...
directcycleparts.com gave me a really good price on the pump and cam plate. They said it wouldn’t ship until the 9th. I did not purchase at this time, but if you’re interested you’ll have to call them to get the deal.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

directcycleparts.com gave me a really good price on the pump and cam plate. They said it wouldn’t ship until the 9th. I did not purchase at this time, but if you’re interested you’ll have to call them to get the deal.
Yeah they did give a great price on the kit! I had to place an order for some other parts for my build and hit them up to see if they could add the S&S oil pump and cam plate.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:57 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

It’s a shame that this one is what it takes to get a $25K plus motorcycle to perform effectively ......

The following users liked this post:
psoff (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 01:22 PM
psoff
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaux
It’s a shame that this one is what it takes to get a $25K plus motorcycle to perform effectively ......
AMEN
I say that with experience, my 2017 CVO is getting a new engine put in this week because of the stock pump. Having an issue is not the worst thing about this. It's how Harley covers things up and it takes them over a year and multiple design changes to get it right. And we still do not know if the latest stock pump will hold up over time. I should be getting my bike back this weekend with the new engine and it sucks I have to go spend another $600 for assurance that I wont blow the engine again.

Quick Reply: S&S Oil Pump and Cam Plate Two Weeks Out