Sponsored by:

S&S Oil Pump and Cam Plate Two Weeks Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 02:58 PM
STRADALE
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
So what are the chances HD will reimburse owners who had to go outside the family to solve their problem? I wont hold my breath.
Not a chance right but what happens to the 2017 & 2018 bikes if they actually manage to fix the fluid transfer and or the sumping in 2019’s inside the “family”? If it’s a possible parts swap to fix the 17’s & 18’s will they reimburse owners to make the change to the 2019’s parts?

Even more concerning is what about customers who aren’t even aware of sumping if their bike comes out if warranty & sump? W/ the MoCo knowing the issues exist & they’ve made changes to prevent it, are they still really going to charge customers for major engine work repairs or a new motor if necessary?

I say no & yes.

Gonna be interesting. We we live in interesting times, eh?

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (08-28-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 05:30 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

No way the moco will make someone right out of warranty. They’ll say it wasn’t a common problem and only affected “a few” models

Old 08-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
So what are the chances HD will reimburse owners who had to go outside the family to solve their problem? I wont hold my breath.
You’re kidding ...right? The MoCo most definitely will NEVER cover the cost of installIng an aftermarket drivetrain component on a bike covered by the factory warranty. More importantly, the moment that the MoCo becomes aware that a Fueling or S&S oil pump has been installed in a bike under the factory warranty, you can absolutely be assured that the drivetrain warranty will immediately be voided for the duration of the remaining factory warranty and for the entire duration of any ESP, if there is one.

GUARANTEED. May not matter to those doing an aftermarket oil pump install but no one should go into the installation of a 3rd party drivetrain component wihout being full aware that the HD factory warranty and ESP on the drivetrain will most definitely be voided.

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-02-2018 at 05:49 PM.
stixvrad (08-28-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 05:44 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 512 Likes on 334 Posts

So S&S has already modified their oil pump? Anyone know what they changed?

Old 08-28-2018, 07:38 AM
psoff
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I received an email from S&S stating they will resume shipping their Oil Pumps Sept 1st.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:55 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 975 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
So S&S has already modified their oil pump? Anyone know what they changed?
I have the exact same question.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:52 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

do you have to remove the cam to replace this pump?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:26 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
yes, the pump is behind the plate

Old 09-22-2018, 11:04 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
This is what Jamie at FuelMoto says:

“Stock cam plate & pump removed. Note cam, lifters & pushrods are in place. You do not need to remove them, this bike already has an upgraded cam bearing & components.

I don’t always agree with Jamie, but I imagine he has done this enough with good results to make this recommendation. Besides, a picture is worth a thousand words.

That said, you need to note that he says that the bike already has upgraded cam bearing and components. That probably means lifters and pushrods. I would say it depends on how far you want to go and what you are able to spend. If you don’t have the tools to change the cam bearing then you will probably be better off not pulling the cam.

He also doesn’t say whether the pressure on the cam has been relieved by collapsing the pushrods. If you have adjustable pushrods in place that would be a good step to take, I would anyway.

Last edited by $tonecold; 09-22-2018 at 11:16 AM.
psyshack (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:43 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,978 Likes on 4,045 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold

This is what Jamie at FuelMoto says:

“Stock cam plate & pump removed. Note cam, lifters & pushrods are in place. You do not need to remove them, this bike already has an upgraded cam bearing & components.

I don’t always agree with Jamie, but I imagine he has done this enough with good results to make this recommendation. Besides, a picture is worth a thousand words.

That said, you need to note that he says that the bike already has upgraded cam bearing and components. That probably means lifters and pushrods. I would say it depends on how far you want to go and what you are able to spend. If you don’t have the tools to change the cam bearing then you will probably be better off not pulling the cam.

He also doesn’t say whether the pressure on the cam has been relieved by collapsing the pushrods. If you have adjustable pushrods in place that would be a good step to take, I would anyway.
That is an old EVO / shovel / pan trick. You have to get the cam in the right position where the load is removed from the valve springs..

Bumpandrun (09-25-2018)

Quick Reply: S&S Oil Pump and Cam Plate Two Weeks Out