Sponsored by:

Check engine on display but no oil light

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 08:24 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 874 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Check engine on display but no oil light

Rolling into get fuel today I had the i button pushed so the ambient temp, oil pressure and EITMS status were displayed. Just before I shut down the engine,to get fuel, the "check oil" appeared and the oil light did not activate. I started the bike right again and "OK" appeared. This happened several times during the day and I will admit that I don't usually have this screen up when stopping. I mostly check this screen on the fly and the oil pressure has always read "OK" and the oil light has never activated.
I would except that both the oil light and the "check oil" would activate at the same time. There is just one oil pressure switch and one sender according to the manual. Wiring diagram shows 3 wires, one power wire, a ground and a signal wire.
What's going on?
2017SGS- build date 2/17 -stock and no sumping issues. Oil level has been consistent in the 11,500 miles so far.

Last edited by Redrodyankneck; 05-26-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-26-2018, 08:50 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Probably a bad oil pressure switch, 10 bucks or so for the part

Old 05-26-2018, 09:14 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,981 Likes on 4,046 Posts

Did the light some on as the motor was switched off? Display might stay on a little longer at shutdown. Switching the ignition to off or keyless could show check oil if the display does some crap before shutdown.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Did the light some on as the motor was switched off? Display might stay on a little longer at shutdown. Switching the ignition to off or keyless could show check oil if the display does some crap before shutdown.
No, I rolled in to get some fuel and just before shutting down check oil came on ( no light). Seems to happen when the bike goes from operating oil pressure to idle pressure but if I leave the bike running after stopping it switches back to OK. Is the display signal/input (or whatever) sensitive to the sudden change in pressure?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:02 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,981 Likes on 4,046 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck
No, I rolled in to get some fuel and just before shutting down check oil came on ( no light). Seems to happen when the bike goes from operating oil pressure to idle pressure but if I leave the bike running after stopping it switches back to OK. Is the display signal/input (or whatever) sensitive to the sudden change in pressure?
Well there have been bad pressure switches as stated. The idiot light is controlled by the speedometer. The display and speedometer get the info from the ECM on the CAN bus. So one might have picked up the message and the other not..

Old 05-31-2018, 09:53 PM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

If You are talking about a check oil indication on the display, rather than the oil light on. I have seen that many times,and it is arbitrary. However recently the oil light came on.It threw codes p0522 and p0523. These point to the oil pressure switch. Switch changed under warranty. So You might want to check if You have an ECM code. If not,I would ignore the indication.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:15 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harttoo
If You are talking about a check oil indication on the display, rather than the oil light on. I have seen that many times,and it is arbitrary. However recently the oil light came on.It threw codes p0522 and p0523. These point to the oil pressure switch. Switch changed under warranty. So You might want to check if You have an ECM code. If not,I would ignore the indication.
No codes, I will most likely go back to my usual routine and not have the diplay on info all the time. Reason why I had info screen up constantly was that I had an oil leak fixed recently.